This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It may be a compliment, but one undeserved.

:)

I did say I was only joking with that one guy... I wasn't serious. I thought the " ;) " would accomplish telling everyone I wasn't serious, but I seem to have underestimated the power of the smiley-graemlin.

:eek:

LOL you two guys are funny..:)

OK OK....ultracrepidarianism.?..... Really? .... I have to look up more words in your posts then anyone's....you defiantly stretch our vocabulary around here...yes its a complement..:)

Carry on!

Can we not make decent screws any more? Seriously. We built a table today. I drilled pilot holes. If I drilled them any bigger, I could have pushed the screws in with my thumb, and I still had to back out and throw out screws that were rounding out. And yes, I used a #2 phillips like the box said. It's the screws. They suck. I took apart a chest I made 20 years ago, with brass screws, and they're stonger than today's supposedly steel screws. Crap. It's all crap these days.

Always annoyed that my formerly starving on the streets dog manages to seek out and attempt to eat every scrap of discarded food along the sidewalk on our walks, even when buried in 8" of snow. He'll root around in there with his snoot until he finds it, because it's what he used to have to do to survive. The fronts of the mexican grocery store and 7-11 are his favorite destinations.

Even more annoyed by the random vagrants and other wastes of skin that insist on dropping chicken wing bones, pizza crusts, burger wrappers and god knows what else around town for him to find.

Can we not make decent screws any more? Seriously. We built a table today. I drilled pilot holes. If I drilled them any bigger, I could have pushed the screws in with my thumb, and I still had to back out and throw out screws that were rounding out. And yes, I used a #2 phillips like the box said. It's the screws. They suck. I took apart a chest I made 20 years ago, with brass screws, and they're stonger than today's supposedly steel screws. Crap. It's all crap these days.
I'm a HUGE fan of Robertson drive screws. Give me a choice, and I'll throw out the phillips head and substitute Robertson every time.

I'm a HUGE fan of Robertson drive screws. Give me a choice, and I'll throw out the phillips head and substitute Robertson every time.

Most driver bits sold these days are very pointed. I've had good luck taking the tip off with a file or bench grinder. For some reason the Chinese screws that come in all the furniture kits these days are much shallower than those you get from an American manufacturer such as Arkansas bolt or Crown Fastener.

A lot of the screws I've found at home center stores tend to be over-annealed. The heads are soft and easily strip out, especially if power driven. Cheap Chinese garbage. I've all but given up on Phillips heads screws and will pay a little more for Robertson or Torx.

I can't BELIEVE you are bitching about screws! You must a few of them loose to make that a pet peeve. :D

Regarding your specific problem, I always look at the screw and drill bit, side by side. I do this by putting the drill bit in front of the screw. In wood I want the drill to be the same size or smaller than minor diameter of the screw. Basically the screw shaft and threads are visible or larger than the bit itself. I want 85-100% thread engagement, knowing the drill might make the hole over-sized.

Steel being softer than brass don't know how that's possible. Must be bad metallurgy (lacking the required carbon), heat treatment or they aren't steel.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XqbaENr2YY[/ame]

Points rewards programs at every store. My keychain is like a Rolodex with all the points rewards fobs. Just sell your stuff at a 10% discount and I will never shop elsewhere.

Some cooking shows. They say "and a couple pinches of salt". There is two showers of salt from a four finger grab. Then say "and some pepper". There is half a twist on a pepper grinder.

Isn't that exactly the kind of thing that makes it a pet peeve? Not earth-shattering, and nothing serious in the grand scheme of things, but still an irritation or annoyance.

I'm only kidding was making a joke of it.... "screw loose"

Ironically that sounded like the problem, screws too small, or wrong drill size.

This is the right place to do that. I don't doubt getting poor quality screws from China.

I'm only kidding was making a joke of it.... "screw loose"

Ironically that sounded like the problem, screws too small, or wrong drill size.

I hear you. I've been there, as I do some woodworking from time to time. I'd be building a piece of furniture, carefully driving a wood screw, and POP! The head comes off the screw! Now I have to drill it out, pull it out with a screw extractor. Despite having drilled the correct diameter pilot hole and clearance hole. Grrrr....

In life's little battles, it seems trivial, but that doesn't stop me from spewing a line of choice cuss words at that moment.

I hear you. I've been there, as I do some woodworking from time to time. I'd be building a piece of furniture, carefully driving a wood screw, and POP! The head comes off the screw! Now I have to drill it out, pull it out with a screw extractor. Despite having drilled the correct diameter pilot hole and clearance hole. Grrrr....

In life's little battles, it seems trivial, but that doesn't stop me from spewing a line of choice cuss words at that moment.

Some long screws can't take all the twist of full thread engagement. Needs some lube. Last week I was putting in wall anchors and my drill barely had enough torque to run them in. Took 4-5 torque adjustments get them in all the way.

Some long screws can't take all the twist of full thread engagement. Needs some lube. Last week I was putting in wall anchors and my drill barely had enough torque to run them in. Took 4-5 torque adjustments get them in all the way.

I've learned to rub some paraffin on screw threads before driving into hardwood or composite material. That really helps.

Apparently, the health industry goes hog wild with medical screw patents. I guess I shouldve realized its not as simple as flathead vs phillips head for the screws that are keeping my lower spine together, but I didnt think theyd be issuing patents left and right just to make it so providers need to buy new tools to use them. My new ortho doctor couldnt tell from my xrays what types they were and said hed have to get with the hospital and find out what type of head is on them. Apparently this guy has issued more than 10 patents just himself. Complete BS

Apparently, the health industry goes hog wild with medical screw patents. I guess I shouldve realized its not as simple as flathead vs phillips head for the screws that are keeping my lower spine together, but I didnt think theyd be issuing patents left and right just to make it so providers need to buy new tools to use them. My new ortho doctor couldnt tell from my xrays what types they were and said hed have to get with the hospital and find out what type of head is on them. Apparently this guy has issued more than 10 patents just himself. Complete BS

I worked on a patent litigation matter for Medtronic a few years ago, involving spinal fusion technology. In that, we had referenced a previous case that ended with a $1.35B settlement to an inventor re a number of spinal tech patents. Huge money in that area.

Get an impact driver. It will change your life.

You know how when you need to drive a 5" deck screw full-depth into something, and you have to bear down with everything you've got to keep the bit from slipping that last 2"? Not with an impact. It'll just chug along until the screw is buried 1/4" deep into the wood. When I got my impact, it was on clearance at the local farm supply store (otherwise I'd have never bought a 14.4v tool). It will out-drive my brother-in-law's 18v every day of the week without flinching.

Get an impact driver. It will change your life.

You know how when you need to drive a 5" deck screw full-depth into something, and you have to bear down with everything you've got to keep the bit from slipping that last 2"? Not with an impact. It'll just chug along until the screw is buried 1/4" deep into the wood. When I got my impact, it was on clearance at the local farm supply store (otherwise I'd have never bought a 14.4v tool). It will out-drive my brother-in-law's 18v every day of the week without flinching.

I need to get one. I striped out a Phillips screw before I dialed it back. I dialed too far back, so I had to keep increasing it until it sunk the screw. I have a cheap Black & Decker.

ya, impact drivers are awesome! one came with our Milwaukee drill and it made our deck build, pergola build and every drywall install thereafter x10 more fun and x10 less frustrating!

Robertson head is what we used putting up the cement board in the bathroom. They were plenty more better.

I need to get one. I striped out a Phillips screw before I dialed it back. I dialed too far back, so I had to keep increasing it until it sunk the screw. I have a cheap Black & Decker.
Oh dear.

Throw that thing away and buy yourself a nice set of tools. Lowes has a kit on sale right now ($199) that has both a drill/driver and impact driver, two 20v lithium-ion batteries, and fast charger. Some may argue that there are better brands out than Dewalt, and they're right - but it's also the largest, most accessible tool company out there for the consumer market. I absolutely LOVE my Milwaukee 14.4v NiCad drill (the belt clip on it is second to NONE), but when I replaced it, I went Dewalt.

Simply put, if you use your drill once a year, stick with B&D (or Tool Shop, or Performax, etc.) If you've got it in your hands more than that, invest in a good tool, you'll be glad you did.

(Case in point: Shortly after my sister and brother-in-law moved into their new house, he wanted a drill for Christmas. Picked out a "fancy" Black & Decker with level bubbles and a light built in. I forget what project we were working on, but the force of driving the screw or bolt in actually split the casing of his drill apart at the seam. My 14 volt Milwaukee didn't even flinch at it. The B&D went in the garbage that weekend, and he bought an 18v Dewalt)

Robertson head is what we used putting up the cement board in the bathroom. They were plenty more better.
I was first sold on them while working for a general contractor. Boss bought a deck screw gun - a corded Milwaukee drill/driver with a 3' extension on it, with an auto-feeder that used a plastic strip with about 25 screws mounted in it. Used for screwing down OSB to the floor joists. You didn't have to be on your hands & knees, and could move right along. With the robertson drive, it didn't matter if the drill hadn't come to a complete stop - it could engage the next screw while still spinning without stripping it out.

I'll remember that advice. I probably use my drill about once a month. I have two apartments, therefore I don't use it all that much. I use it more often at my in-laws home.

That said, I used the darn thing to lay cement board (running in screws every 4 square inches) for about 1500 sqft of tile in my old house. I got my money's worth out of it.

B&D is hit and miss. Their green colored battery powered line was junk. The Firestorm stuff is okay for around the house, usually. I did destroy a B&D sander in short order. It was replaced by a Bosch that's still going.

DeWalt, Bosch and Milwaukee are solid tools. Makita used to be, but I think their quality has been sliding in recent years. I have a DeWalt 18v impact driver. I have used it to install 8" Spax screws into landscape timbers without any problem. Had it for about 10 years and it's still running great, despite its old-school NiCad battery packs. The Lithium packs today are far superior.

s-l300.jpg

Vague or flat out bad instructions that come with products where "some assembly is required".

Agreed, as long as you aren't bitching about ikea, because I cannot understand people who cannot follow ikea instructions....Compared to some knock-offs, they are dead easy.

Agreed, as long as you aren't bitching about ikea, because I cannot understand people who cannot follow ikea instructions....Compared to some knock-offs, they are dead easy.

Okay, who else read the above post, and immediately thought of....

[trying to assemble Penny's new wardrobe, reading the instructions]
Wolowitz: Oh, boy! I was afraid of that!
Leonard: What?
Wolowitz: These instructions are a pictographic representation of the least imaginative way to assemble these components. This, right here, is why Sweden has no space program

I showed my 7 year old thing IKEA instructions the other day. It was for a wall shelving unit.

Told him they're Daddies Lego Kit....

:D

Legos have no written instructions...

It really annoys me that nothing was posted on this thread to entertain me today

Maybe people are running out of pet peeves. :confused:

Ok, uh....what about this?

I've decided that vests serve no functional purpose.
I've never in my life walked around outside in chilly weather thinking "man, my core is super comfortable, but my arms are just BURNING UP!!"

Conversely, every time I throw on a vest as part of my wardrobe and spend any significant time outside, I wind up with cold arms.

If it's a suitvest, fine. If you want to show off your guns, fine. But otherwise, buying a vest is just paying the same price for a garment without arms on it.

People who ask me if "I'm cold", as I'm wearing a long sleeve wool shirt, a wool vest ;) and shorts year round.
Though I will add layers as weather dictates, but the shorts stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back