This Really Annoys Me Pet Peeve Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is what I tell my wife and friends especially ones with motorcycles.

Everyone at work gets in these huge pissing contests about all the bad Canadian drivers that suddenly appear on "our" roads when the weather gets crappy. Talking about how they need to just get out of our way and stop driving like wimps. I've caught a ride to lunch with a few of these guys that brag so much. On a 5 minute drive to a diner, they spend 4 minutes fussing with their XM radio or cell phone. It's okay though. They're awesome drivers. My friend was one of these great drivers. Sent me a text saying 'sup' right about the same time he went into a ditch, hit a tree and was nearly impaled by the steering column.

Alcohol-Related Crashes: In 2013, 10,076 people were killed in alcohol-impaired driving crashes (any fatal crash involving a driver with a blood-alcohol content (BAC) of 0.08 percent or higher), down 2.5 percent from 10,336 in 2012. Of the persons who were killed in traffic crashes in 2013, 31 percent died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes. In 2010, drunk driving alone accounted for 18% of the total economic loss from motor vehicle crashes, costing the economy as much as $199 billion in direct and quality-of-life losses (NHTSA).

People that drink are much more dangerous to other peoples health than second smoke. Not saying that you guys would do this but I'm sure every single person on here has drivin legally drunk before. Much worse than smokers

Hell no, If i drive, i don't drink, not even a glass with dinner.
It's a very simple rule, that i've had ever since i've been driving, better safe than sorry.

Crap, had to work today & missed out on all the fun.

My point, and I guess a pet peeve, is the statement that liver disease linked to alcohol consumption kills more (or was it quicker?) than secondhand smoke. I thought it was unsupported and demonstrably false. I could be wrong.

I trust most CDC data; I kinda have to for my job and stuff. So when they derive numbers for deaths related to second hand smoke at roughly 40,000 per year and chronic liver disease deaths associated with alcohol consumption at about 20,000 per year I go with it. Not saying anyone has to agree; check facts for yourself with sources you trust.

I don't think I'm whining about smokers rights or lack thereof. Just countering what I viewed as incorrect info without support.

Dude, it's too late to jinx it. Even if it sucks horribly every day from now until April, it's still only half as bad as the past 2 winters have been. As someone who walks everywhere, I gotta say this has been pretty floccin great!

When the weather forecast is for 6-8 inches of snow, and we get 3 inches of fine sleet. Sucks.

When the weather forecast is for 6-8 inches of snow, and we get 3 inches of fine sleet. Sucks.

Sorry pal, you're from North Carolina. You don't get to gripe about the winter. So you got some weird, white precipitation recently? Wow!! That happens occasionally. Us yankees call it snow. Go back to playing golf in February you floccin *****:D

FOAD

IDC what Yankees call it. Sleet is not snow. We expected snow. We got sleet. It sucks. I'll gripe about it all I want.

Take note that I never said anything untoward about you being from Illinois.

;)

FOAD

IDC what Yankees call it. Sleet is not snow. We expected snow. We got sleet. It sucks. I'll gripe about it all I want.

;)

We get sleet/freezing rain every winter; I'd rather have snow, at least you can shovel/plow snow. Sleet glazes EVERYTHING with ice, not even tire chains help with that. I feel your pain man.
Regards, GF. :mug:

Weather pet peeves: The "grey gloom" that covers us here from November to about April. The only sunny winter days we get are when the temps drop below zero. And the Alberta clipper snows that drop an inch on us. Not enough to plow but enough to make the roads slippery.

Going someplace warm for a couple weeks later this winter. Can't wait.

You want to go sledding don't you? :D

What sucks is people who don't know how to drive in snow. I lived in North Carolina and Oklahoma. The areas close down for several reasons driving hazards, and lack of the ability to handle large amounts of snow. Both are good reasons. Why have additional salt piles and millions of dollars for snow removal equipment for rare snow fall.

Weather pet peeves: The "grey gloom" that covers us here from November to about April. The only sunny winter days we get are when the temps drop below zero. And the Alberta clipper snows that drop an inch on us. Not enough to plow but enough to make the roads slippery.

Going someplace warm for a couple weeks later this winter. Can't wait.

I love overcast days. I love the feeling of impending doom!! Especially before thunderstorms and a big snow fall. Mainly because I get to FO and look out the window.

I have always liked working outside in the yard during the fall on a gloomy day. I usually have bonfires burning for collecting fallen tree limbs and the dog is running about wanting to play fetch and the smoker is going! I have a reason to escape from my wife.
:rockin:

I am definitely not pro-smoking rights, etc., but in many places the anti smoking campaingns have gotten completely out of hand. Many universities, hospital campuses, etc, have completely banned tobacco on their very large campuses. While their motivation seems to be in the right place, the result is usually a crowd of folks hanging out on the "public" sidewalk just outside of the official grounds, creating a cloud that everyone else has to walk though.

Another overreach occurred here locally. They passed an ordinance banning smoking inside any public building, but wouldn't even hear or consider exempting those in the tobacco business, such as cigar shops and bars. Put one very nice cigar bar completely out of business, because they couldn't afford the legal support to fight it. I don't care who you are, cigar smoking patrons, inside a cigar bar, cannot harm anyone who does not actively choose to go into the place.

Another overreach occurred here locally. They passed an ordinance banning smoking inside any public building, but wouldn't even hear or consider exempting those in the tobacco business, such as cigar shops and bars. Put one very nice cigar bar completely out of business, because they couldn't afford the legal support to fight it. I don't care who you are, cigar smoking patrons, inside a cigar bar, cannot harm anyone who does not actively choose to go into the place.

The problem is generally with employees and OSHA requirements on clean air. I would think if you and your wife own a cigar shop, they couldn't do squat about it since you have no employees. If non-smokers want to buy cigars, they could do it through a walk-up/drive-thru window. Just don't blow smoke at 'em.

The problem is generally with employees and OSHA requirements on clean air. I would think if you and your wife own a cigar shop, they couldn't do squat about it since you have no employees. If non-smokers want to buy cigars, they could do it through a walk-up/drive-thru window. Just don't blow smoke at 'em.

that is just absurdly stupid overstepping of government into a place where they should have zero input. Just like customers, employees of such an establishment know exactly what they are signing up for when they choose to work there.

Before it comes up, this is very different from an employee working in a chemical environment, etc. In that situation, the chemicals are a bi-product of a process, and a necessary hindrance to be dealt with. In a cigar bar, the "toxic" product is the entire purpose of the establishments existence, a niche market, and should be recognized as such.

that is just absurdly stupid overstepping of government into a place where they should have zero input. Just like customers, employees of such an establishment know exactly what they are signing up for when they choose to work there.

Before it comes up, this is very different from an employee working in a chemical environment, etc. In that situation, the chemicals are a bi-product of a process, and a necessary hindrance to be dealt with. In a cigar bar, the "toxic" product is the entire purpose of the establishments existence, a niche market, and should be recognized as such.

The argument that employees 'know exactly what they are signing up for' doesn't work when it comes to exposure to toxins.

I agree with the over-step. However if it has employees, it becomes different. Employers need to provide a safe work environment. You'll always loose the argument about employee choice in eyes of the government.

Personally, I don't see why people feel the need to smoke in main part of a cigar shop, that's where employees would be working. I've been to many. The humidor is a nice to go into just to get the fresh smell of dried tobacco.

I would say this. If you throw in government regs, calling for clean are standards. Therefore one could have an air scrubber in "The Smoking Area". Meet the clean air requirements. There's no need for total ban in my opinion.

So, the best thing is to have a "Havana Club" promote club enthusiast environment with complimentary cigars. "Barry's Havana Club!!!" Pay dues or a cover. Have a tip jar.... bring complimentary cigars to somebody with snort of scotch. Its a finagling, but bet there's some type work-a-round to the ordinance.

I went to a place called the Bait Shop in Des Moines that let homebrewers give away free beer and leave out a very large tip jar. "Jimmy Carter's Happy Hour!" Did it several times and made money out of the exchange. It was one day a week. You had to sign up. The place was packed 6-8PM. This place also had 185 beers on tap. Very Cool Place. Free beer, no cover charge!!!

http://elbaitshop.com/

The outdoor picture on the main page is "Jimmy Carter's Happy Hour"

FYI - If you recall.....JC made Homebrewing Legal... I think Cohiba's are legal now... No? Thanks to BHO.

The argument that employees 'know exactly what they are signing up for' doesn't work when it comes to exposure to toxins.

I agree with this notion in an industrial environment, but be realistic, a cigar bar is for smoking cigars. Noone in their right mind (granted, this excludes a large portion of society) is going to work in a cigar bar if they are against cigar smoke.

I agree with this notion in an industrial environment, but be realistic, a cigar bar is for smoking cigars. Noone in their right mind (granted, this excludes a large portion of society) is going to work in a cigar bar if they are against cigar smoke.

The guberment won't see it that way for employees. They will fall back on a "Safe" work environment. Choice will be tossed aside. Maybe location or qualifications being the reason for a less than stellar choice. Reluctant choice.

Not sure how they address fishing, public service jobs like Fireman and Police.

FOAD

;)

I forgot what FOAD meant. That was a little over the top don't you think?

sudbuddy was kind enough to appologize.

Back to my sledding comment...if they predicted snow and you got nothing would you still be mad about it?

Really skeeved out by the sketchy M-Fers who sit in parked cars in the parking lot of the park where my local dog park is, seemingly waiting for something. Fairly certain they're johns waiting for their turn with some hooker who frequents the place.

Probably time to call the PD and ask them to do something about it.

It may be a compliment, but one undeserved.

:)

I did say I was only joking with that one guy... I wasn't serious. I thought the " ;) " would accomplish telling everyone I wasn't serious, but I seem to have underestimated the power of the smiley-graemlin.

:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back