Swap-O-Rama #6, New Year New Brews!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are ready for swap #7 she is ready to forget and forgive. Let's get it going! Count me in!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looking forward to jumping in on the next one!

Shall we talk about topics/limits to give TheMan an idea on what should be next??

I think some sort of can limit, we tried this last year in the fall and I think now that spring time is here and summer around the block more brewers are going the canning route.
Possibly also a 22oz sour limit? either 2 12oz or 1 22/750 to mix it up a little bit?

Shall we talk about topics/limits to give TheMan an idea on what should be next??

I think some sort of can limit, we tried this last year in the fall and I think now that spring time is here and summer around the block more brewers are going the canning route.

Possibly also a 22oz sour limit? either 2 12oz or 1 22/750 to mix it up a little bit?

I'd say no to sours. There was just a sour swap.

I agree on cans.

cigar city cans most of their beers. Heady topper also canned. Doesn't indicate inferior beer anymore, and much more resilient during shipping.

Sour beers, either you like them or you don't. I wouldn't mind getting all sour beer personally. I'll go along with whatever folks want to do.

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Johnnyhitch1 has the HT connection I think! Glad to see your in. Brewing my HT clone next Tuesday. Never had the real deal before.

Wish there was a way to preserve the fresh hop flavors and aromas longer

TD

Johnnyhitch1 has the HT connection I think! Glad to see your in. Brewing my HT clone next Tuesday. Never had the real deal before.

Wish there was a way to preserve the fresh hop flavors and aromas longer

TD

Haven't made my way up there in a while but have made my fair amount of homebrew with conan. Tend to use it exclusive thru out the winter for its higher temp allowance.

Do you check your water profile? If its to soft, a pound of hops wont taste hoppy. Make sure you sulfites and sulfates are at appropriate levels. I have a great time keeping beers fresh and hoppy by purging my kegs with co2, counter filling and sticking them right in the fridge. I also use HUGE dry hops now after my first clone and have usually 12-16oz in all of my recipes.

Instead of picking a style for everyone what if everyone picks their own styles? I.E. - 160 oz min - must include 40 oz of style 1, 20 oz of style 2 and 20 oz of style 3 (or whatever amounts of however many styles). So when you sign up you would say "I'm in - stout, DIPA, sour" and you would get 40 oz stouts, 20 oz DIPA and 20 oz sour (plus 80 oz senders choice). Sort of a make a wish swap. That way if someone wants more of their favortie styles, they can ask for that or they can ask for a style they rarely drink to get more exposure or mix up some old favorites and exploration.

Hate sours much? lol

Instead of picking a style for everyone what if everyone picks their own styles? I.E. - 160 oz min - must include 40 oz of style 1, 20 oz of style 2 and 20 oz of style 3 (or whatever amounts of however many styles). So when you sign up you would say "I'm in - stout, DIPA, sour" and you would get 40 oz stouts, 20 oz DIPA and 20 oz sour (plus 80 oz senders choice). Sort of a make a wish swap. That way if someone wants more of their favortie styles, they can ask for that or they can ask for a style they rarely drink to get more exposure or mix up some old favorites and exploration.

I like this idea, although it might be hard for TheMan to distribute that much information.
Think it should be a universal XXX/xxx styles. If you don't like them this round you jump in on next, cant always accommodate everyone.

that is an awesome idea. It would take some more work on the organizers end, but I think itd be worth it for everyone to get what they really want.

I agree with Canti and that was going to be my idea.

I think in your PM with your address you just provide your 3 styles. This has been done in the past with styles you don't like. I think its just as easy to send that info as shipping.

I'll go along with whatever you all want.

While I do love sours, finding 160oz of sour beer is challenging to get stuff not readily available to your recipient, and also expensive since these tend to cost more. Yeah, there was just a sour swap, but it wasn't a sour swap o Rama. There are some styles I don't really care for as well, but I always like to try new beers and stuff that I can't buy locally.

I'm just happy to be here and be part of the next swap, whatever it happens to be.

TD

I like this idea, although it might be hard for TheMan to distribute that much information.
Think it should be a universal XXX/xxx styles. If you don't like them this round you jump in on next, cant always accommodate everyone.

I don't think anyone has to organize any additional data - when you get your recipient you go back through the first couple pages and see what styles they listed. It would be an extra 5 min work on the senders part is all (as long as the user name is included in the assigning of addresses which I think it should be regardless - I don't like getting a name and address and having to figure out what user it belongs to)

If the man is unavailable for awhile or wouldnt want to put together this round, I can volunteer to put together the "personal style" swap. Anyone heard from him lately? And I'm not trying to take this or anything away from him, just willing to help out if need be since so many of us are ready for the next one.

If the man is unavailable for awhile or wouldnt want to put together this round, I can volunteer to put together the "personal style" swap. Anyone heard from him lately? And I'm not trying to take this or anything away from him, just willing to help out if need be since so many of us are ready for the next one.

Sounds good to me

TD

Obviously no one vote determines the outcome, but my vote is against the cans swap. I've done an all can swap on BA and got 30 different cans, and while it was fun, there are few (I know HT and GB) high quality or even limited release cans. I'd rather get higher quality beer regardless of the serving vessel.

And my personal opinion is cans burst quite easily in shipping, seen it happen a lot with cans.

Obviously no one vote determines the outcome, but my vote is against the cans swap. I've done an all can swap on BA and got 30 different cans, and while it was fun, there are few (I know HT and GB) high quality or even limited release cans. I'd rather get higher quality beer regardless of the serving vessel.

And my personal opinion is cans burst quite easily in shipping, seen it happen a lot with cans.

Didn't realize the cans would/could burst. know they can be damaged and leak, and on occasion have seen a can that burst from getting too cold.

I would like to chime in that I will likely be wanting to include several cigar city beers in my box. They can most of their stuff now. Some limited releases get bottles, but the year round offerings and some limited/seasonal releases are all canned. If can are excluded from the swap, I will have significantly fewer regional options to send (sweetwater, terrapin, And a few others). I'm not saying do an all cans swap, but if there is a limit on the cans, then there will be fewer CCB goods in the box. (Can't wait until funky budda starts their bottle/canning distribution.. ).

Anyhow, I also would agree that I don't have a preference in the vessel it's in, as long as it is good beer. As I am a newcomer to the beer trading scene, I'm still learning much about the process. it think that it's tremendously fun picking the beers for the box though. CAN't wait until this one starts, though truth be told I already have a bunch of CANdidates for my box on hand already.

TD

I would definitely participate in a can swap. I have a ton of good options to send from Portland.

It would be a bit hard for me to get a decent amount of cans for a trade. Not that many breweries out here can their beers. I guess I can just send 4packs and 6ers of cans from the breweries that do.

There are a lot of canned options here but very few outside of troegs and Oskar blues I think are tradeworthy

It would be a bit hard for me to get a decent amount of cans for a trade. Not that many breweries out here can their beers. I guess I can just send 4packs and 6ers of cans from the breweries that do.

Wrap a bottle of Pliny in tinfoil and call it even, man.

If it were a can swap, I think we should set a minimum ounce like normal, but then have 75-80% of that be in cans ounces.

The remainder can be more cans or glass. Maybe that can satisfy mostly everyone.

Latest posts

Back