STC-1000+ PI (the mash control firmware)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, that is way to much. A switching PSU won't do you much good either, unless you also have something to actually *drive* the load.
An SSR will be fine to drive directly though.

No, that is way to much. A switching PSU won't do you much good either, unless you also have something to actually *drive* the load.
An SSR will be fine to drive directly though.

Aha, right. But shouldn't the current be stepped down a bit? As the SSR is controlled with 3-32V input? Or could i just power the SSR with the "normal" output from the relays on the STC, and use the switching PSU between the SSR and the 12V pump?

(feeling n00b)

@bjarneo:
Ok. For pump control, the 'third' terminal output (next to the temperature probe inputs) is used, not the relay outputs. This is also just a control signal, so you need something to 'amplify' the signal or 'drive' the pump. The 8A LED dimmers are great for this and very cheap. Have a look at the documentation. You can use a switching PSU to power the dimmer and pump.

If the relays are removed and bridged, you'll have a 12V control signal on the output terminals. It can't supply very much current though. SSR's are designed to accept a pretty wide range voltage on the input (control), 3-32V in your case. Internally it probably uses a zener diode and resistors to limit voltage and current to the input optocoupler, so you don't need to anything else than make sure the input signal is in the specified range.

Finally, you probably can't use the SSR to drive the pump at all, as a 'normal' SSR can only switch AC.

As a gentle reminder, working with mains can be dangerous. Electronics is fun and it's good that you want to learn, but asking questions on forums only gets you 'so far'. If you're not confident in doing this yourself, I'd recommend asking local forums, friends, relatives and such for someone with a bit more experience for some 'hands on' assistance.

digging up this old thread but just got a grandfather connect and want to build an OBVSC (because i can't help myself). I don't want to automate the pump so i will leave that to its own manual switch. Will I need and SSR between the STC and the heating element?

digging up this old thread but just got a grandfather connect and want to build an OBVSC (because i can't help myself). I don't want to automate the pump so i will leave that to its own manual switch. Will I need and SSR between the STC and the heating element?

No, the Triac (SSR eqvivalent) is integrated in the Connect - so it`s done by Hysteris in STC OBVSV firmware.

Back