Some old brewing history

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unionrdr

Homebrewer, author & air gun collector
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was doing some research for my 2nd book on home brewing & ran across a newspaper article in The Brooklyn Daily Eagle dated Sunday, April 9, 1905. I thought you folks might enjoy reading it, as some of it still seems to be relevant. Besides the old pics. Enjoy. http://bklyn.newspapers.com/image/53857695/ :tank:

Uh, duh. Sorry, don't do much lagering and never used beech when I did. Have to try beech chips sometime.

Thanks for sharing unionrdr! Not much has changed in process or the general public's understanding of the product. In addition to this article there was something else recently, I cannot currently recall it, that made me think that brewing and/or the knowledge around brewing are in about the same place as they were a century ago. Obviously prohibition and its after-effects played their rolls in preventing advancement, but the similarities to a time we are relatively far-removed from are striking.

There are "+" & "-" signs for zooming in & out. But even then, I think some parts were over-exposed during copying. Or the ink was wearing down by the time it was scanned? But yeah, the similarities are striking. I had to laugh in spite of myself when the Atemporator was invented. Simply put, it's a way to regulate fermenter temps in the early days. Tubes inside the fermenter carried warm or cold water to adjust the temp of the fermenting wort. I had to search a bit to find that. Sorta like finding the outer limits of online brewing knowledge/history. But the striking similarities caught me right off the bat while reading it. A bit more primitive equipment, true. but the processes are so similar as to be fascinating. I just never know what I'll find when researching my books. I'll come up with what I want to write next. Then research the details anywhere I can find them. This is one of them. I'm glad other folks enjoy this kind of thing now & then. :mug:

Ah. Very nice. Back when newspapers would actually report facts and not try to sensationalize and politicize everything. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it.

Ah. Very nice. Back when newspapers would actually report facts and not try to sensationalize and politicize everything. Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed reading it.

Don't kid yourself. Before radio, TV and other modern communications big newspapers could and would push their publisher's agenda very forcefully. William Randolph Hearst was the most well known but there were plenty of others. Rupert Murdock notwithstanding things were probably even worse than today.

Hearst & his cronies were the ones instrumental in getting hemp outlawed. It would've killed their holdings of forests for paper & their pharmaceuticals holdings. But the resemblances to modern technique are pretty striking. Besides some cool little window into brewing's past.:mug:

There are "+" & "-" signs for zooming in & out. But even then, I think some parts were over-exposed during copying. Or the ink was wearing down by the time it was scanned? But yeah, the similarities are striking. I had to laugh in spite of myself when the Atemporator was invented. Simply put, it's a way to regulate fermenter temps in the early days. Tubes inside the fermenter carried warm or cold water to adjust the temp of the fermenting wort. I had to search a bit to find that. Sorta like finding the outer limits of online brewing knowledge/history. But the striking similarities caught me right off the bat while reading it. A bit more primitive equipment, true. but the processes are so similar as to be fascinating. I just never know what I'll find when researching my books. I'll come up with what I want to write next. Then research the details anywhere I can find them. This is one of them. I'm glad other folks enjoy this kind of thing now & then. :mug:

So - what books are you working on? Is it mostly brewing history?

Nice, I love stuff on old breweries. Brooklyn was quite the brewing city back in the day. Here's another old article (only about 20 years though) on the famous style brewed in Brooklyn.

http://morebeer.com/brewingtechniques/library/backissues/issue2.1/jankowski.html

Big Ed - I've had at least 5 of those Bushwick beers ... These post-Prohibition Bushwick breweries included Trommer's, F&M Schaefer, Piels, Liebman, Ehrets, Goldenrod, Old Dutch, Charles Schafer, and Schlitz.

:ban:

So - what books are you working on? Is it mostly brewing history?

I've been working on my 2nd home brewing book,"Tippy Tippy Tappy II: Historic styles & struggles". It'll go into history of beer in America & other places as relates to rare or extinct beers & breweries struggles to stay afloat during the dark times. Brewing modern counterparts & many other things to do with beer's history & my own struggles with them. I'm also working on book two of my Time lords 2034 series," Time Lords 2034: The New Camelot". The Tall Man returns with the Pleiadians of UFO lore combining forces with Pete Kroeger after that little blip in the power during the climactic scene of book one causes some interesting twists. I've also, due to popular consent about a comment on a song by Johnny Cash," the legend of John Henry's hammer" I made on youtube getting some 45 likes to write another book," John Henry & the Blue Collar World". This is one tall tale that's true & I explore that & his ideas of man versus machine as it applied in his day. And mine as a modern blue-collar worker. History & eye-witness testimonies from nearly 100 years ago make for an interesting tale. I also came up with the titles of books 3 & 4 of my Time Lords 2034 series. So I'll be busy for awhile...:mug:

I was researching/writing some more of my 2nd Hb book & got halfway down this page; http://www.europeanbeerguide.net/beerale.htm Halfway down the page I found some interesting micro-studies of Brettanomyces & other "molds", "india pale bitter ale",porter, long boilings & more. From, " The Principles & Practice of Brewing" by Walter J Sykes & Arthur R Ling, London, 1907. " Brewing Science & Practice: Volume II Brewing practices" by H Lloyd Hind, london, 1940. And " The Brewer", William Loftus, 1863. Some more interesting reading, definitions from Victorian times, etc.
Then this one, which describes the origins of the brewery Barclay Perkins came into; https://books.google.com/books?id=NB8NAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA54&lpg=PA54&dq=barclay+perkins+anchor+brewery?&source=bl&ots=ElVr4HPT5m&sig=ibOF3st48lJJmD1cIZIeAFgvJ6U&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ThH3VL_eJdf_yQSP_4CADA&ved=0CEMQ6AEwBg#v=onepage&q=barclay%20perkins%20anchor%20brewery%3F&f=false

Back