Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CastleDangerous

Reaction score
I found a 9 year old Lalvin EC-1118 yeast packet in with some of my old brewing equipment and it got me thinkin' about it's potential viability after all of these years stored in a box with random bottling equipment. After a dquick online search 95% of the commentary I came across presented as similar 2nd hand regurgitation. I only found a handful of actual examples of people using old/out of date, dried yeast including a couple of posts where each individual had pitched yeast that was approximately 5 to 6 years old with surprising results. I really wanted to test the limits of this yeast without sending it directly to the gallows if it wasn't already dead. Pitched 1 packet of 9 year old EC-1118 directly into just over 3/4 of a gal store bought cider (Potassium Sorbate included) with 3/4 cup frozen blueberries (still frozen), 6 fl Oz maple syrup, 1/2 lb clover honey and 1/8 cup brown sugar. In less than 12 hours after pitching EC-1118 fermentation had not only started but was surprisingly vigorous. So don't get rid of your old yeast! Use it in a starter or to mess around with small batches. It may work, it may not work but it worked for me so it could work for you too. Sorry, no pics of packet, I didn't throw it out I just have to find it. This post was an after thought.

Last edited:
Pitching it for a starter you could do. Frankly, I'd toss it for something with a 1+year out start date. My time is worth more.
I promise no one will admonish you.

Latest posts

Back