Rice through Cereal Killer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
good afternoon
Can I run rice through my cereal killer?

Soon I will be brewing a pink Pilsner found in Mosher’s Radical Brewing.
It calls for 1.5lbs of ground red rice (porridge consistency). Normally, I’d use flakes rice as an adjunct but I doubt I’d be able to find red rice flakes.
I love my Cereal killer and wouldnt want to screw it up for this recipe.

Thank you

good afternoon
Can I run rice through my cereal killer?

Soon I will be brewing a pink Pilsner found in Mosher’s Radical Brewing.
It calls for 1.5lbs of ground red rice (porridge consistency). Normally, I’d use flakes rice as an adjunct but I doubt I’d be able to find red rice flakes.
I love my Cereal killer and wouldnt want to screw it up for this recipe.

Thank you
I can’t see why not but someone might know better. If it’s a problem I’d just use a food processor if you have one

I can’t see why not but someone might know better. If it’s a problem I’d just use a food processor if you have one
I thought about that but at first, a pound and a half sounds like a lot to run through a food processor.
However, the more I think about it, the better of an idea it is. Especially if it means messing with the settings on the grain mill.

wife's food processor vs screwing up my grain mill. Easy decision.

Thanks Dgallo

Don't mill rice (or corn)!
It's way too hard, it may damage your mill, or wear out the knurls prematurely.

I ran a pound of cheap rice through my Monster Mill MM2, right after I bought it, to clean it, remove machine oils, etc. Used a narrow gap. Man, did that make a racket! I really thought the mill was going to be destroyed. Never again!

But it survived the ordeal.
I also used to mill flaked corn through it, which is also hard as heck, making a lot of noise. That was the last time using it for anything that hard.

I now pre-boil the flaked corn with plenty of water into a thin polenta and use that as part of my strike water. Much happier on all sides, and great efficiency!

That said, your rice, as it is, are whole kernels. Even milled, the rice starches are not pregelatinized, they won't convert in the mash like that, or not by much. You should really cook/boil that rice thoroughly, before adding to your mash.
Either cook the rice, unmilled, as if you were going to eat it, doing a hard boil for 5-10 minutes and steaming for another 30-45'. But you may as well boil it in much more water for 20-30 minutes making a thinnish rice pudding with no hard bits left. The boiling pre-gelatinizes the starches, so the enzymes in the mash can get to them. Then use that thin rice pudding as part of your strike water for your mash.

Or instead, perform a cereal mash with it:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Cereal_Mashing

Don't run any unmalted cereal through a malt mill, period. Unmalted cereals are incredibly hard and will destroy any mill not built for them.
There's a reason why industrial flour mills are built like tanks and some even still use huge grindstones.

Don't mill rice (or corn)!
It's way too hard, it may damage your mill, or wear out the knurls prematurely.

I ran a pound of cheap rice through my Monster Mill MM2, right after I bought it, to clean it, remove machine oils, etc. Used a narrow gap. Man, did that make a racket! I really thought the mill was going to be destroyed. Never again!

But it survived the ordeal.
I also used to mill flaked corn through it, which is also hard as heck, making a lot of noise. That was the last time using it for anything that hard.

I now pre-boil the flaked corn with plenty of water into a thin polenta and use that as part of my strike water. Much happier on all sides, and great efficiency!

That said, your rice, as it is, are whole kernels. Even milled, the rice starches are not pregelatinized, they won't convert in the mash like that, or not by much. You should really cook/boil that rice thoroughly, before adding to your mash.
Either cook the rice, unmilled, as if you were going to eat it, doing a hard boil for 5-10 minutes and steaming for another 30-45'. But you may as well boil it in much more water for 20-30 minutes making a thinnish rice pudding with no hard bits left. The boiling pre-gelatinizes the starches, so the enzymes in the mash can get to them. Then use that thin rice pudding as part of your strike water for your mash.

Or instead, perform a cereal mash with it:
http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Cereal_Mashing

So, you think it's ok to cook rice by itself whole then add to mash? Milk the funk says to add a portion of 2 or 6 row barley to the cooking rice.

Thank you for info and link

Don't run any unmalted cereal through a malt mill, period. Unmalted cereals are incredibly hard and will destroy any mill not built for them.

I mean, they did name the mill the Cereal Killer, so I feel like they're asking for it :D

They never claimed the cereal is not going to fight back, did they? :D

I wouldn't add the 2 or 6 row to the cereal boil
Just boil the snot out of the rice in water for an hour
Then add to strike
If you add any 2 or 6 row to the boiling pre step, you are denaturing the enzymes in the 2 or 6 row. Leave all the enzymes for the mash, adding the boiled rice, making sure your temp is good, then adding the mashable grains.

I wouldn't add the 2 or 6 row to the cereal boil
Just boil the snot out of the rice in water for an hour
Then add to strike
If you add any 2 or 6 row to the boiling pre step, you are denaturing the enzymes in the 2 or 6 row. Leave all the enzymes for the mash, adding the boiled rice, making sure your temp is good, then adding the mashable grains.
Typically 10% of the malt is added to the cereal mash because, while the enzymes will be denatured in the boil, along the way they keep the cereal mash liquified instead of becoming a gummy mess. There's plenty of enzymes left for the main mash.

Typically 10% of the malt is added to the cereal mash because, while the enzymes will be denatured in the boil, along the way they keep the cereal mash liquified instead of becoming a gummy mess. There's plenty of enzymes left for the main mash.

Well that explains some things.
Thanks!

Update- I went ahead and grinder the red rice in an old coffee grinder. Was quicker than I thought.
F0E98F92-4DD7-4163-B046-7197845EADB8.jpeg

The beer tastes great. Although next time I’ll cut the buttering hops by 10% or so.

Back