Can I mill rice in my cereal killer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AzOr

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just flipping through Radical Brewing and there is a recipe for a red rice Pilsner. It call for cracking the rice kernels and then cooking etc.
Can I run the rice through my mill without effing it up? I’ve always used flaked rice or minute rice for recipes but I’m intrigued by the use of red rice.

Thanks

I’ve mashed rice just after cooking it very well....I’m not convinced that crushing it is really needed?

I don’t think it will hurt your mill, but I don’t see a need to crush it, I would just cook the heck out of it....and all that starchy rice water ...I mash that too...

Just in case you do want to try milling uncooked rice or other hard grain for future batches, I think the cereal killer can do it if you block off part of the rollers to confine the stream of grain going into the rollers to a narrow, ~1" wide area at one end of the rollers or the other. This reduces the number of grains you're trying to crack at once and puts significantly less strain on the bearings, shafts and rollers. You could cut a piece of stiff cardboard to fit into the bottom of the hopper then cut out a mouse hole at one end to let the rice/raw wheat/corn flow through. Obviously takes longer but the mill can handle it.

Unless the rice has hulls on the grain I don't think milling it would be needed.

If you were to do it like Jayjay1976 said I would concentrate it in the MIDDLE, if at all so that you don't load the thing at one end straining those bearings and not the other end.

If it’s an efficiency thing- couldn’t I cook the rice whole then throw it into a food processor? Then I’d pitch the slop into the mash.
Then I would t have to worry about my grain mill.

If it’s an efficiency thing- couldn’t I cook the rice whole then throw it into a food processor .

You can try whatever you like...I think a well over cooked fully gelatinized rice will easily convert....if you want to put it into a food processor and make wallpaper paste before adding to the mash, by all means try it...

Back