Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
......... We also stripped the eyes off of old fishing poles and jammed green tomatoes down onto it and flung them things as far as possible. Then moved onto riper veggies until it was a contest to see how rotten a tomato could be before it would not fling. Those suckers would sail!.

We used broken in half bike flags - remember those! and green apples (squash ball sized). We could fling them at cars from over 100 yds away!

Stretching it a bit here.

Waking up with a ahem. Wood. Maybe I'm to old for my age but that doesn't happen much for me these
days.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I learned to ride on my brother's old schwinn. But the bike I really remember was a Huffy with a monoshock. Something like this without the mag wheels (I don't remember mine with mags). It got broken in our move from Utah to Ramstein Germany in 1983.

I could go off a 6" ramp and feel like Evel Knievel.

Bastards!

image.jpg

I won a Schwinn Stingray in 4th grade. Bright green with a yellow banana seat and yellow grips on the big handle bars. Coolest bike in town!

In a serious coincidence, I won a Schwinn Stingray, all purple and metal flake, banana seat. I was in the 4th grade. I already had a new bike, so my folks talked me into trading to my sister for her old bike and let me sell the old bike for $15.

I can't remember the name of em, but you guys ever have those sticky octopus things? You'd throw em at the fridge and watch em walk down. I used to drive my mom up the wall with those :D

No,but we had these things called Sticky Fingers with the suction cup & trigger to throw a ball with. We also used it in place of Tommy givafinger.....;)

Remember the "Creepy Crawlers" toy?
http://www.vintagetoysillustrated.c...EATURING_CREEPY_CRAWLERS_SET_4477_BOX_LID.JPG
I never had one, but always thought it would be a cool thing to have. Which reminds me of those little rubber monsters made to go on your pencil eraser.

Holy Jesus I remember the Creepy Crawlers maker. No way they could sell that toy today. The mold heated up to about 1,000 degrees so you could melt the rubber. I got enough third degree burns from that thing to merit a skin graft.

Good times...

Speaking of sh*t they could never get away with nowadays:
Does anyone remember Super Elastic Bubble Plastic?

No way that stuff wasn't toxic. Playing with that stuff was like huffing glue.

No, but we didn't need ID to buy glue and paint. Nor BBs. Nor even knives. I once won a folding knife from a claw machine at a fair. And throwing stars. I lived downstairs from this kid whose family was into martial arts, and drinking. Made for some hellacious fights between the oldest brother and his dad, but anyway. Throwing stars. He used to bring them out and we'd throw them at trees and fences and this old abandoned car. Us kids in the complex saved our money and bought some from Six Star.

Did yall have Six Star? It was like a dollar store of mischief. Throwing stars, Rambo knives, blow guns. Sling shots. Those paper roll caps! Loved them smell. Little toys. Seems they had other dollar store crap, but we were only interested in the "weapons". Toy bow and arrows. Oh! That gun that shot discs. Man. I'd shoot all my discs and go around the yard collecting them because those were all I had.

No, but we didn't need ID to buy glue and paint. Nor BBs. Nor even knives. I once won a folding knife from a claw machine at a fair. And throwing stars. I lived downstairs from this kid whose family was into martial arts, and drinking. Made for some hellacious fights between the oldest brother and his dad, but anyway. Throwing stars. He used to bring them out and we'd throw them at trees and fences and this old abandoned car. Us kids in the complex saved our money and bought some from Six Star.

Did yall have Six Star? It was like a dollar store of mischief. Throwing stars, Rambo knives, blow guns. Sling shots. Those paper roll caps! Loved them smell. Little toys. Seems they had other dollar store crap, but we were only interested in the "weapons". Toy bow and arrows. Oh! That gun that shot discs. Man. I'd shoot all my discs and go around the yard collecting them because those were all I had.

All that stuff!

I didn't have access to throwing stars where I lived, but I found some scrap in the basement and made my own with a hack saw and grinder. I'll admit, they weren't the best metal, but they mostly worked.

Bought a cheap Rambo knife at a street fair in my hometown. Had the compass and wire saw and matches in the handle. Crappy blade, but cool looking.

I'd take a whole roll of caps and hit it with a hammer to get a really loud bang. You could scratch the caps individually with your finger nail to get them to go off. Not much noise, but you get the gunpowder smell and small puff of smoke.

Today, you'd have cops driving down your street if anyone heard a few cap guns go off. One of our favorite games was to run and hide around the neighborhood with toy guns and shoot at each other. Guess what that game was called! Yep, GUNS! The rules were pretty loose. If you saw someone on the other team and had a good shot, you made a gun sound and told them you killed them. They were out.

Climbing trees. Like a squirrel. No fear.

... Those paper roll caps! Loved the smell. ...

Definitely one of the great smells from childhood.

Other smells that take me back ...
those caps
and for that matter, the smell of firecrackers & ladyfingers.
playdough
grapefruit scented plastic model glue
army surplus ponchos (absolutely awful smell! ... had a few of them around)
not sure exactly why, but the scent of Right Guard spray
suntan oil (as a teen I spent a lot of time at the beach) ...

Speaking of firecrackers ... we had a lot of apple trees in my neighborhood and we lived in a semi-wooded area. We'd take apples and push a "checker" into it, a checker was a standard firecracker but it was long about 3 inches or so (that had a checkerboard pattern on it) ... then about 10 of us would wait in the bushes with our apples for a car to approach on the road; when it got near we'd all light our "apple bombs" and roll them out in front of the car and run like hell. Little juvies ... I'm tellin ya.

Speaking of firecrackers ... we had a lot of apple trees in my neighborhood and we lived in a semi-wooded area. We'd take apples and push a "checker" into it, a checker was a standard firecracker but it was long about 3 inches or so (that had a checkerboard pattern on it) ... then about 10 of us would wait in the bushes with our apples for a car to approach on the road; when it got near we'd all light our "apple bombs" and roll them out in front of the car and run like hell. Little juvies ... I'm tellin ya.

Remember when this behavior would have been considered SHOCKING! You must have been the bad kid of the neighborhood! lol Now it doesn't even make anybody think when we hear of a 12 year old gang banger with an AK killing half a dozen people! What happened?

BTW, the balloon in a tube rubber stuff, it's still around, yep, my youngest step daughter found some last fall when we were all shopping together!

We used to take a box and wrap it up really nice, like a birthday present, then place it on the side of the road, with a string attached to it, we would hide in a ditch and wait for someone to drive by. Then yank it away when a car would go by and show any interest. Wow,was that fun! I might have to do that again sometime!

Definitely one of the great smells from childhood.

Other smells that take me back ...
those caps
and for that matter, the smell of firecrackers & ladyfingers.
playdough
grapefruit scented plastic model glue
army surplus ponchos (absolutely awful smell! ... had a few of them around)
not sure exactly why, but the scent of Right Guard spray
suntan oil (as a teen I spent a lot of time at the beach) ...

Ah, the smell of Coppertone suntan lotion! Nothing else like it.
You must've had some musty surplus ponchos, I don't remember them smelling; but your comment does remind me of the smell of the old surplus store I used to frequent. It always smelled of smoked rubber, canvas & cosmoline; I love that smell.

Anybody remember the "O.J. Squeeter?"
http://iowntheworld.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Picture-1.png
You'd stick this gadget into an orange & suck the juice out while squeezing the fruit.
Regards, GF.

Remember when this behavior would have been considered SHOCKING! You must have been the bad kid of the neighborhood! lol Now it doesn't even make anybody think when we hear of a 12 year old gang banger with an AK killing half a dozen people! What happened?

BTW, the balloon in a tube rubber stuff, it's still around, yep, my youngest step daughter found some last fall when we were all shopping together!

When using it for its intended purpose it would always hurt my cheeks. That stuff always seemed like it was 3/4 dried already and the whole production run was made back in the 60's, even the stuff sold in the 90s.

Candy Cigarettes.
Garbage Pail Kids (yes I am a child of the 80s/early 90s.
The Coke Float at McDonalds, as with their fries back when they were good and fried in lard rather than the fresh peanut oil.

Ahh, candy cigarettes. I remember getting in trouble when my mom saw me with one of the bubble gum cigarettes that had paper wrapped around the outside and made a puff of "smoke" if you blew through it. Classic.

It's funny. They quit selling candy cigarettes because they're teaching kids that smoking's OK, but they're saying nothing of doing powder thru a straw (Pixie Sticks)...

I remember when cell phones were big. Then they got smaller and it was cool to have a small cell phone. Now there getting big again and people brag how big the screen in.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It's funny. They quit selling candy cigarettes because they're teaching kids that smoking's OK, but they're saying nothing of doing powder thru a straw (Pixie Sticks)...

I think you can still get bubble gum cigars, and I know I've seen Big League Chew out on the shelves recently. It's funny what gets banned and what doesn't sometimes.

I remember when this was my first computer:

rcm-016.jpg

In addition to the cartridge slot, I had a tape drive I could load games from. I'd fire it up, go have dinner, and come back and play frogger, lol

I also remember running a BBS on one of these, back when 2400 baud was smokin' fast and nobody'd ever heard of the internet:

atari-800xl.jpg

I actually had a disk drive for that one. It was a 5 1/4" floppy, DSDD... Good God Man, lol

The first computer we had when I was a kid was this:
380px-Amiga500_system.jpg

Later, we upgraded to a Macintosh Performa and got set up with AOL dial-up internet. It was a 14.4 modem. Good times.

I leave you with this fond memory (apologies if it has already made its way to this thread):

Last edited by a moderator:
I started with a Tandy color computer I "upgraded" to 16K with a tape drive. Sounded just like that vid of yours. Then I got the 5 1/4" floppy disc drive. Random access beat the snot out of sequential access! My fav was Sub Battle Simulator. Slammed 6 torpedoes into the Yamato,ripping it from neck to nuts. Or sink their carrier & watch the zeros run out of fuel & crash into the island jungles.

I started with a Tandy color computer I "upgraded" to 16K with a tape drive. Sounded just like that vid of yours. Then I got the 5 1/4" floppy disc drive. Random access beat the snot out of sequential access! My fav was Sub Battle Simulator. Slammed 6 torpedoes into the Yamato,ripping it from neck to nuts. Or sink their carrier & watch the zeros run out of fuel & crash into the island jungles.

When I first started in Operations at the plant, we still had tape backup. It was 2006.

We use terabyte books now.

Remember when schools were one room, eight grades, and one teacher. Grades 1 through 4 for me.

You mean the 1980s? I went to an ACE school for a bit. Not exactly one room, but 9th through 12th grade, as it were, was in one big room.

When I first started in Operations at the plant, we still had tape backup. It was 2006.

We use terabyte books now.

You mean the 1980s? I went to an ACE school for a bit. Not exactly one room, but 9th through 12th grade, as it were, was in one big room.

No, the 1950s.

Really? Tell us about that, please. I did my first brewing in the 50's. A totally different world in the USA than today. Most of these folks can't remember the 70's because they weren't born yet.

A lot of the Amish schools still do that today. There are also a few non-Amish 1 room school houses still in use here in MT.
http://www.npr.org/2013/05/20/185596302/mont-one-room-school-house-boasts-international-diversity
Regards, GF.
We also have a large Amish community here in Taylor county. When my parents started out farming there was little difference in the way they farmed and the way the Amish operated a farm.
The REA started running power lines into this part of the county the year after they bought their farm. Then there was the cost of being to utilize electricity. I have some of their milk payment stubs. Less than $5.00 a week.
I remember a brand new 6-cylinder tractor and a combine being delivered in 1951. The long-tree on the McCormick reaper was shortened for being pulled by the tractor. The reaper was still used to shock corn. My parents kept the horses for a number of years. Tractors couldn't get through deep snow to haul the manure sled or get to the river bottom for hauling out firewood.
Harvests in those days was a neighborhood event. Each farm would have one or two pieces of equipment. Just went from farm to farm to get the crops in.
I was the last of the kids to leave the farm. Found some changes on the farm coming home after the first year of college. New equipment to make field work manageable by one person. It was a treat to go out to plow 40 acres and be home by lunch time. A diesel tractor with an air cushioned seat and power steering. Wow.

Latest posts

Back