Remember when...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wasn't it "Hi Bob?" Where you drink a shot any time someone says "Hi, Bob."

I imagine you'd get a little hammered if you did that every time someone said "Bob" but I'm sure some folks did that. Probably University of Wisconsin students.

I know we've played the version where you take a sip of your beer etc (not the whole drink) when it was "Bob" ... if you missed a "Bob" you had a "penalty chug" and had to drink the rest of your entire drink. Another version might have been "Hi Bob" ... we might have played that too ...I don't recall; I wasn't entirely lucid.

Remember the drinking game called "Bob"? You'd watch the Bob Newhart Show and every time they said "Bob" you took a drink. Less a game I suppose and more a way to watch Bob Newhart at parties. (yes, this is what passed for fun ... gawd I feel so old)

I was too young to drink (legally) back then; tho that didn't discourage me from sneaking a beer once in a while. ;)
Regards, GF.

Yes he did; Red was always my fav, very well drawn. ;)
I grew up watching those old toons from the 40's & 50's every day after school.
Regards, GF.

Me too. From the mid 50's on. different style back then. Some were more adult oriented, since they were shown between loading 2nd reel of film or next one at the theatres.

Here's one from my memory locker
My folks bought us a record player and the record "aristocrats". Somewhere in the 70s. No video , no TV. Just words which made images in your head. Imagination is a wonderful gift. You can watch the clip below. I recommend you close your eyes, listen to it and let your imagination play. Two country dogs are discussing tire chasing. Or something like that :)

I do like this YouTube clip though

Sent from my iPhone

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah the voices of Mr. Hainey from Green Acres & Goober from The Andy Griffith Show, I hadn't thought of either in a LONG time! The music from Aristocats reminded me of my fav:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM[/ame]

Regards, GF.

Ah the voices of Mr. Hainey from Green Acres & Goober from The Andy Griffith Show, I hadn't thought of either in a LONG time! The music from Aristocats reminded me of my fav:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JDzlhW3XTM

Regards, GF.

One of the best disney songs ever.

Every time I hear "I wanna be like you", I spontaneously burst out singing it over the next week. And sometimes it happens without even having heard it at all.

I have the capability to listen to entire songs purely within my head, a surprisingly vast number of them. I don't need an mp3 player ;-)

Remember when you could beat the $hit out of your kids for painting the neighbors house with spray paint...

Yeah I was that kid!

Ohhh how things have changed!

Cheers
Jay

Remember when you could beat the $hit out of your kids for painting the neighbors house with spray paint...

Yeah I was that kid!

Ohhh how things have changed!

Cheers
Jay

Aye lad, I remember when countries banded together to stop rape and murder.

Remember when a can of tuna was only 50 cents? (wasn't that long ago). Remember when fish didn't come with a mercury warning? Remember when you could stay in a hotel or ride a bus without wondering if you were going come away with bedbugs? Remember when the library was a place to get books & read instead of a haven for the homeless? Remember when kids aged 7 & up could go trick or treating at night in groups of 3 or 4 WITHOUT adult supervision & parents didn't worry? Remember when people didn't try to tell you what to eat? Remember when people knew what "NO SOLICITING" meant AND respected it when you put it on your door?
Regards, GF.

Remember when it was exceedingly rare to see an overweight person?

Remember when political campaigns used to look like this?

ReelectNixon-CantLickOurDickFlyer.jpg

Rember when this song would come on the radio on a sunny saturday morning and you just knew that the rest of the day was going to be a party?

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIRP4gydheQ[/ame]

Remember when you could buy glassware in record stores?

straight-glass-pipe-13.jpg

Remember when most cars had armstrong power steering and 450 air conditioning?

I remember when nixon would be coming to a town near us for speeches & whatever. We'd say, " The Big Dick's on his way! Get ready"! :D

Remember when this was the scariest movie you had ever seen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDGw1MTEe9k

Ditto. Still the scariest movie I have ever seen.

Friday, my daughter made some comment about one of her toys always having it's head on backwards and I said, "What is it, Linda Blair?"

Of course, then I had to explain the scene to her. She said, "Can I see it?" I said, "No, because I'd never get you to sleep again."

Might have already been said, but, do you remember when soda came in 12 and 16 ounce glass bottles?

You would take spent soda bottles housed in a wooden case holder to the grocery store. Turn it in and that gave you a discount on the next case. Pretty sure it wasn't beaten into our brain as recycling, (I guess it was recycling) but people back then weren't threatened and told they were killing the planet by not recycling. "Recycling" wasn't called that and the save the world hype was more like. Hey, turn in your used soda bottles and the next case of them will cost less

It was about saving money by turning in your used GLASS soda bottles. Not environmental negligence guilt. Just a personal budgeting helper.

Ya, I remember the Coca-Cola tasted better then too, no HFCS or Nutrasweet, just plain old cane sugar. You can still get 12 oz glass bottles of Coke in some places here in the US, but they're bottled in Mexico.

Some supermarkets & bottle shops still carry 12 oz glass bottles of soda, usually as a sort of "vintage" item. I've seen grape Nehi, Frosty root beer, Bubble-up, etc...
Remember going to the soda fountain & watching the "soda jerk" mix up your chocolate or vanilla or lemon Coke right there in front of you?
Regards, GF.

We've been drinking those Mexican Coca-Colas (con azúcar!) for a while now (CostCo sells them by the case)

The other day we were on a day trip, stopped by a small grocery store and the BigHair noticed they had the Mexican Cokes, but they didn't have an opener. Not remembering that, as a homebrewer I have one on my keychain and another on a watch-chain, she bought Classic.

you don't really notice the difference if you're a Classic drinker and have the other, but holy floccin frak that **** is nasty after you've gotten used to the real sugar.

Ya, I remember the Coca-Cola tasted better then too, no HFCS or Nutrasweet, just plain old cane sugar ... Some supermarkets & bottle shops still carry 12 oz glass bottles of soda, usually as a sort of "vintage" item.

With the cane sugar product ... vintage ... or Kosher. Jews don't eat corn syrup during passover ... so in areas with a larger Jewish population it is common to find the smaller bottles of coke made with sugar ... and often longer than passover, depending on the store.
I have Jewish friends who stock up on it when available.

I don't notice a big difference in Coke, but Mountain Dew with sugar will give me a flashback to my childhood every time. Too bad I don't really drink pop much anymore.

Lightening bugs, or fireflies. We used to catch them when I was a kid. Put them inside a mason jar or make an illuminating ring for your finger. Man! We were cruel as kids. ;)

Lightening bugs, or fireflies. We used to catch them when I was a kid. Put them inside a mason jar or make an illuminating ring for your finger. Man! We were cruel as kids. ;)

yep, glowbugs. One of the few bugs I actually find quaint. I always wanted one of those japanese lanterns that they put them in as decoration.

I dunno, is making a fly-plane cruel? I don't like houseflies. If they don't want a life of forced labor flying a little balsa wood plane they'd ought to keep to the outdoors. (btw in this video it looks like their engineering and flight crew are finding some aeronautical inspiration in a few beers)
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DmXvINX_uI[/ame]

I have one of those. A bit newer. I think mine is dated to mid 60's. The coin machine is inoperable, but it gets really cold. I currently have the bottle locks rigged to be unlocked. I used it at my FIL's garage for a year or two, but since I moved it home I haven't plugged it in. Uses too much energy for the amount it gets used.

When it was at the FIL's garage we'd load it up with pop, beer, and water and his kid would drink from it when we weren't out there working on our cars, so it was used pretty often. With my kegerator, freezer, ferm chamber, etc. I don't really need another juice sucking appliance running just to have a cool machine in operation.

http://s5.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/Vendo-56-Coke-Machine_C63790D5.jpg

Came with a bottle opener! One stationed outside every Service Station

I've wanted one of those old pop machines that dispense bottles for ever.
Just for home use; though at one time I would have stationed one (with beer) at a Club I was on the Board of.
The noise they make when you pull a bottle out is distinct too ... Not the "clunk" of a can machine ... More reminiscent of the bottling plant.

At a Navy squadron I was once stationed at we had a "soda" machine in our Chief's Mess. It wasn't one of the cool ones like posted above. It was a bit more modern, push button type. Anyway. The labels on the button were coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew but inside was beer! It was a secret. Probably not really.

At a Navy squadron I was once stationed at we had a "soda" machine in our Chief's Mess. It wasn't one of the cool ones like posted above. It was a bit more modern, push button type. Anyway. The labels on the button were coke, Pepsi, Mountain Dew but inside was beer! It was a secret. Probably not really.

was always a good idea that what happens in the Goat Locker stayed in the Goat Locker

sorry to mislead, I never got anchors. got my crow 3 months after bootcamp and that was it for my remaining 5½ years. had so much time in rate, they called me TCOB. Third Class Of the Boat

heard horror stories from others who cranked in the Chief's Mess

sorry to mislead, I never got anchors. got my crow 3 months after bootcamp and that was it for my remaining 5½ years. had so much time in rate, they called me TCOB. Third Class Of the Boat

heard horror stories from others who cranked in the Chief's Mess

No worries!

Cheers my Shipmate! :)

Back