Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My wife and I spent several vacations on the Maine beaches, in Lubeck, Machias, and Bailey Island. We will probably figure a way to get back there next summer. Campobello(or as my wife calls it Portobello) was a great day trip from the house in Machias.

That drive up the coast past Acadia, into the Canadian Maritimes (they call it "Down east"), is very scenic and wild. The Bay of Fundy has huge tide differentials. On Campobello there is a place where you can walk to a lighthouse on a nearby island in low tide. Unfortunately it was high tide when we got to that point, so could only look.

1200DSC_0414.JPG

You can see the tide starting to roll out.
1200DSC_0403.JPG

Yeah, I called it Portobello, too. ;)

That drive up the coast past Acadia, into the Canadian Maritimes (they call it "Down east"), is very scenic and wild. The Bay of Fundy has huge tide differentials. On Campobello there is a place where you can walk to a lighthouse on a nearby island in low tide. Unfortunately it was high tide when we got to that point, so could only look.

View attachment 738633

You can see the tide starting to roll out.
View attachment 738634

Yeah, I called it Portobello, too. ;)
We hit it a low tide so we got to climb up a rusty ladder to visit it. If you want to see some serious tides go to St. Johns in New Brunswick Canada. Spectacular.

We hit it a low tide so we got to climb up a rusty ladder to visit it. If you want to see some serious tides go to St. Johns in New Brunswick Canada. Spectacular.

We're thinking of another trip to New England and the Maritimes next year, but driving all the way. We'd like to dig in deeper in some of those places, and a few more. St. Johns is on the list, Nova Scotia and PEI.

Another pic from 2009. The obligatory stop at Red's Eats for a lobster roll.
1200DSC_0131.JPG

My wife and I spent several vacations on the Maine beaches, in Lubeck, Machias, and Bailey Island. We will probably figure a way to get back there next summer. Campobello(or as my wife calls it Portobello) was a great day trip from the house in Machias.

Did my undergrad at UMM. I need to get back up there soon, it's a beautiful area.

This may have been done before but just in case here it is in all its awesomeness! :rock:

View attachment 738828

Instructions:
Wrap potato in foil and bake it in the coals.
Grill ribeye to your desired level.
When done cooking, open the two cans of Busch Light, pour into grill to extinguish the coals.
Enjoy the steak and baked potato with some homebrew.

Obsolete but cool stuff in your yard too? So cool , but don't need any lawn ornaments or additional rodent housing. One example, Glenwood wood stove casting, w dirty un vented oil stove, made from old casting... I used to cook on wood version on one of these back in VT days, but this one unsafe, fumes wise, for use,,probably even when new,
IMG_2572-001.JPG
IMG_2574.JPG
IMG_2579-003.JPG
IMG_2578-001.JPG

Obsolete but cool stuff in your yard too? So cool , but don't need any lawn ornaments or additional rodent housing. One example, Glenwood wood stove casting, w dirty un vented oil stove, made from old casting... I used to cook on wood version on one of these back in VT days, but this one unsafe, fumes wise, for use,,probably even when new,View attachment 739218View attachment 739219View attachment 739220View attachment 739221
I used to use a vented oil stove, which was wonderful. Can't imagine an unvented one though. Godawful fumes on startup.

I LOVE my souvenir zipper bottle opener magnet!

it fits all the criteria of a proper souvenir: 1) location, 2) bottle opener, 3) fridge magnet, 4) tacky AF

View attachment 739265
"Ain't no smoggy smoke on Rocky Top, ain't no telephone bills"

Hiked the AT in the Smokies in my youth. Back when dinosaurs roamed free, tectonic plates still drifted, and before Al Gore invented the interwebz.

That'd cook your insides pretty quick.

When tower workers are going up where high power RF is involved, the station usually shuts down the Tx. Leaving on a few hundred kW of VHF or UHF will definitely give you a tingle. Or cook your eyeballs. But even low-power stuff can give you burns if you grab something you shouldn't.

When tower workers are going up where high power RF is involved, the station usually shuts down the Tx. Leaving on a few hundred kW of VHF or UHF will definitely give you a tingle. Or cook your eyeballs. But even low-power stuff can give you burns if you grab something you shouldn't.

Remember reading one about some riot control device that was basically a microwave dish mounted to the roof of a Humvee. The people who tested it stated that it felt like having a hot light bulb touched to your bare skin when it was pointed at them.

Latest posts

Back