Possible infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBrew

Reaction score
Sorry for posting about a topic that's been asked many times. I searched around and couldn't find a clear answer.

I'm brewing my second beer and just transferred my beer to secondary yesterday. I'm not sure if this is an infection or if it is leftover foam from the sanitizer, but it doesn't look 100% like sanitizer foam because it is in a ring formation.

Any advice or suggestions is much appreciated.

20130908-100611.jpg

20130908-100629.jpg

If you just transferred to the secondary it"s very likely what you see are Co2 bubbles and yeast islands.

bad67z said:
If you just transferred to the secondary it"s very likely what you see are Co2 bubbles and yeast islands.

Thanks, I transferred in about 16 hours ago, so hopefully your right.

I would also give it the smell test and the taste test. That would be the best indicator of any potential issues.

It looks normal to me.
Just keep an eye on it to see if it settles.
Don't give up on it yet!

I tasted the beer today, using the upmost in sanitary conditions possible, and I could definitely taste the banana notes in the hefeweizen, but I also thought I tasted some sour notes. Not sure if this is because I was looking for them or because they are actually there. Everything smelled fine, smelled like beer. Any thoughts?

Back