O-ring deformation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ImNoExpert

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have the 30L Speidel plastic fermentor and recently did a deep clean (my wee heavy's fermentation was a wee bit vigorous) that included soaking the lid and o-ring over night in oxy clean. Everything came out sparkling, but after I lubed the o-ring with some keg lube and put it back together, the o-ring had increased in diameter by about a quarter inch. Just enough to screw any chance of a good seal.

Bummer right? New o-ring for about $5 is not a problem, but It seems weird to me that it would deform.

Has anyone else experienced this issue on a Speidel or any other o-ring?

I work a lot with o-ring in work and they typically swell, sometimes quite a lot, when they are exposed to something they don't like! I normally see this in work when a nitrile aka rubber oring is exposed to engine oil or hydraulic oil.

In your case, the o-ring they used is probably a standard size, or close to, so you could order a replacement in viton or silicone - they both have good chemical tolerances and will be likely be cheaper as you avoid the "hobby" tax applied to the homebrew specific replacement. I did this for a similar product we get here in the UK becuase the so called oring that came with it had massiive casting marks that were accumulating filth.

213-7188_PI_TPS2192706

Old thread, but I thought I'd add this in case anyone is looking. I wanted to replace the white soft oring that deforms and swells... I measured it up and went with the -248 in silicone. I assume the original is metric but these fit great. Also got a few -351. They're too thick to fit in the slot but actually seal. But aren't the right size.

http://www.oringsandmore.com/silicone-o-rings-size-248-price-for-5-pcs/ get five in better material for the price of one OEM replaced

Awesome! I am looking. Thanks for the info and the link. (I love oringsandmore!) I've got some ordered. Thanks, BassmanG4.

I work a lot with o-ring in work and they typically swell, sometimes quite a lot, when they are exposed to something they don't like! I normally see this in work when a nitrile aka rubber oring is exposed to engine oil or hydraulic oil.

In your case, the o-ring they used is probably a standard size, or close to, so you could order a replacement in viton or silicone - they both have good chemical tolerances and will be likely be cheaper as you avoid the "hobby" tax applied to the homebrew specific replacement. I did this for a similar product we get here in the UK becuase the so called oring that came with it had massiive casting marks that were accumulating filth.

Hydraulic oil won't damage nitrile O Rings, not unless they are exposed to the air and oil at the same time. In a proper sealing, as in perfect compression because the seating pocket as well as the surface of the mating face are correct, they will not usually expand or break for several years, even under continuous pressure.

Usually some chemicals can make them stretch when you try to install them when they have to be wrapped over a diameter, however O Rings aren't the only seals that can do it. Hell, I was building some piston assemblies the other week and when I went to wrap a piston seal over an O Ring, the whole thing stretched out, but leaving it for 10-15 minutes and it collapsed back to normal size.

Awesome! I am looking. Thanks for the info and the link. (I love oringsandmore!) I've got some ordered. Thanks, BassmanG4.

:mug: They have great prices and min order of $15 for free shipping. The only thing I haven't seen they have are the oversized keg cover orings. All other homebrew related orings they have.

I wish I had known about the free shipping with $15 order! How did I not see that? I think I spent just under that. But still, the shipping was only about $3.50.

The only place I've seen the oversized O-rings for keg lids is at William's Brewing. I really like them, but they are kind of pricey. I think the problem is that the oversized ones aren't a standard size - I've looked on several sites and they have the standard keg lid size, but not the next size thicker.

I know one can purchase (e.g. from The O-Ring Store and McMaster Carr)O-ring 'cord' in bulk and cut it to length and splice the ends together to make O-rings of whatever size, and I remember seeing the cord in a size that would work for an oversized keg lid O-ring, but decided to just purchase them from William's instead since I only needed a couple and the cord is kind of pricey.

Cheers!
:mug:

Back