Diptube o-rings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew703

Reaction score
I've have the worst luck with dip tube o-rings. These things rip apart when I tighten the post. More issues with the liquid side. I don't feel I over-tighten but it seems like every time I make a beer change, clean my keg and posts I have to replace the liquid o-ring.

Is there a secret to not tearing these up? Last keg swap I noticed my CO2 was dropping. I sprayed down all connections and could not find it. When I went to clean my keg today, I removed the liquid post and found the o-ring was torn to crap. Has to be where the leak was.

Are there any heavy duty ones that will last and withstand tightening? It's getting frustrating having to replace the o-rings every brew.

Do you use "keg lube"?

Those particular O-rings are subjected to compression plus friction when the post is tightened and if you don't lubricate them it's easy to put tiny tears in the surface (or rip a chunk out entirely).

Otherwise, make sure the dip tube flange doesn't have sharp edges or burrs on the under-side and clean them up if you find any...

Cheers!

Yep, Keg lube used on all o-rings. it's a new dip tube (clear beer draught system), no sharp edges or anything. But it happens on all my kegs except for the new keg I got last year. Not sure why that would made a difference but all the used ones have problems with the o-rings.

How much are you tightening the posts? What wrench are you using to tighten the posts? I use a 1/4" drive socket handle and tighten as much as I can comfortably. No leaks and no tearing of the gaskets.

Back