Newb with some .5 liter PET bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tjr

Reaction score
I'm just getting started making soda using homemade syrup, carbonator caps and tank/regulator setup. Have made some pretty good grape soda from Concords I picked.

A big question is: How can I switch the carbonator caps out with the plastic Coke caps without losing too much carbonation? I've got 2 caps, and I'd like to have at least 3 or 4 bottles of different flavors plus a couple bottles of seltzer on hand.

My regulator is set at 50psi, which gives a nice strong fizz to the sugary soda.

Another question: Should I do more to sanitize the bottles than just wash them in 130F water+Dawn? We don't drink out of the bottles, and the soda stays in the beverage/cheese fridge at well under 40F.

Thanks for any advice!

You have to do it cold; right at or below freezing.
This way you will loose little carbonation.

Carbonation level is related to pressure and temperature.
This tool can be helpful; for soda you are looking for 5 volumes of CO2.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/keg-carbonation-calculator/

Yes you want to sanitize your bottles; this is a basic precaution. Soap and hot water will do a good job of cleaning but will not kill yeast and all bacteria.
Yeast will thrive on soda even at low temperature.

Back