anyone force carbing above 50 psi in pet bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nguyenty

Reaction score
Anyone force carb above 50 psi ? How high is it safe to go up to ? I have been force carbing ice cold water in 2 liter bottle at 50 psi but it is still not enough. While it's as strong as a fresh can of coke, you tend to lose some carbonation opening the 2 liter bottle a few time and then some more if you want to mix syrup in to make soda.

I have read that most pet bottle can go up to at least 120 psi and some can go well beyond that. But I'm looking to just reach about 70-80 psi. I think that would do the trick to overcarbonate water so that it can keep a very strong carbonation level up to the last drop of the bottle. My taprite regulator only goes to 50 psi right now so I would need to purchase one that goes to 110 psi.

Do you use a carbonator cap? I think they are limited to maybe 40 psi(?) but you slap them on the 2L bottle to keep it carbed up, and just give it another shot of c02 when it gets lower.

Do you use a carbonator cap? I think they are limited to maybe 40 psi(?) but you slap them on the 2L bottle to keep it carbed up, and just give it another shot of c02 when it gets lower.

I use a stainless carbonator cap and it seems to do 50 psi just fine.

I use a stainless carbonator cap and it seems to do 50 psi just fine.

50 psi at fridge temperatures is very well carbonated- even explosively so. So I don't understand the issue. At 50 psi, that's almost 7 volumes of c02!

If you open it, when you close it back up you can give it another shot of 50 psi c02, and it will stay carbed.

I would also consider that soda bottles might be designed for 100+, they are not designed for reusing. I haven't had it happen yet, but I imagine they weaken over time and with squeezing, etc.

Just a thought!

What is your carbing method? Do you shake the bottle? For how long?

Do you Store it in the fridge? For how long?

While in the fridge, is it connected to CO2?

What is your carbing method? Do you shake the bottle? For how long?

Do you Store it in the fridge? For how long?

While in the fridge, is it connected to CO2?

I shake the bottle for 2-3 minutes until I can't hear any more co2 go into it. Once that happen I just use it until its empty and don't reconnect it to the co2 again.

If I mix drinks with it like juice or tea, then I leave it in the fridge. If its just water then I leave the bottle on the counter. Either way it loses carbonation either by mixing drinks with it or leaving it in room temperature, hence why I want to over-carbonate it.

50 psi at fridge temperature is just strong as a fresh can of coke so I don't think its that strong since you will lose some carbonation after opening the bottle a few time or using it to mix drinks.

I shake the bottle for 2-3 minutes until I can't hear any more co2 go into it. Once that happen I just use it until its empty and don't reconnect it to the co2 again.

If I mix drinks with it like juice or tea, then I leave it in the fridge. If its just water then I leave the bottle on the counter. Either way it loses carbonation either by mixing drinks with it or leaving it in room temperature, hence why I want to over-carbonate it.

50 psi at fridge temperature is just strong as a fresh can of coke so I don't think its that strong since you will lose some carbonation after opening the bottle a few time or using it to mix drinks.

Yes, I understand. BUT- hook it up to the c02 again. That's all you have to do. Shake it for a few minutes, and it's all carbed up again. No need to risk an explosion or anything- just serve. Then, put it back on the gas for a minute, and shake it a bit to make sure it's full of the gas. Then you keep it carbed all the time. It's super easy, and that's how we do it with PET bottles.

Back