Need all grain recipe please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vissere

Reaction score
Hello,

I am very new to home brewing, I have made 4 batches so far, two partial mash and two all grain. I have these leftover ingredients and I wanted to see if there is a possible combination with all or some of the list below where I can make another batch. I have a 5 gallon and 6.5 carboy.

8lb 2 row
.5 lb chocolate malt
.75 lb Black Patent
.5 lb muntons crystal lovibond 49-64
1 oz perle
1 oz perle
1 oz fuggle

american ale yeast us-05
american ale yeast us-4

Thanks!

Looks like a porter to me, I would use 1 oz of hops (probably fuggle) and freeze the rest. Same with the yeast, use 04 and refrigerate 05

I plugged this into BeerSmith.

I used the Brown Porter classification which this beer fits into:
OG of 1.049
36 SRM (upper limit of 30 for brown porter / upper limit of 35 for a Robust porter)
5.0% abv
29.3 IBU

I used only an ounce of Perle (assuming 8.0% AAU) at 60min and 1oz of Fuggles (4.5%) at flameout

In my opinion first of all, the Crystal is pointless cuz of all the darker malts and you only gain 0.2%abv and lose a little over 1 SRM in color. But it will not hurt to use it.

I also wanted to add that I used some basic assumptions with BeerSmith that could change the recipe slightly although it would be very slight if at all.

Hop AAU as stated in the above recipe, were assuming that Perle is 8.0% and Fuggles 4.5%

I assumed US 2 row base malt
choc malt at 350SRM
Black patent 500SRM
Crystal 60L

All in all, I think that robust porter is the way to go.
Cheers

. . .
In my opinion first of all, the Crystal is pointless cuz of all the darker malts and you only gain 0.2%abv and lose a little over 1 SRM in color. But it will not hurt to use it.

You don't think the crystal will help add some sweetness to balance the roasty flavors from the dark malt? If it were me, I'd keep the crystal and cut back a bit on the black patent - unless you're intent on using everything you got.

If you don't mind saving or tossing the dark malts, omitting them from the recipe above will also yield a nice pale ale. Not that one would be better than the other, just another option. Either way, I'd use the S-04.

+1 to this.

I was just going on what the OP gave me.

But yes, I would bump the patent malt down a bit, and still use the Cr60L.
As is, if he is looking to get rid of all of the grains, then just toss it all in. But color will be negligible from the crystal and it would take more crystal to make a noticeable offset in the maltiness of the beer IMO.
That black patent malt is no joke, it comes through loud and clear in every porter I have made with it.

[QUOTE...If you don't mind saving or tossing the dark malts, omitting them from the recipe above will also yield a nice pale ale. Not that one would be better than the other, just another option. Either way, I'd use the S-04.[/QUOTE]

What Hops would you use for this ?

I think brewkinger had it right on the hops. Higher AA for bittering, fuggles for aroma.

Yeah, i messed around in BS, but you are better off just adding it all together and get rid of it.

Any pale ales or ambers or lighter and you will not be using much patent if at all and very little choc malt.

Get rid of it all at once IMO.

you could also probably get away with a sweet stout with all that black patent, although generally they need roasted barley but that is quite a bit of BP which might take its place...

Hopper5000 said:
you could also probably get away with a sweet stout with all that black patent, although generally they need roasted barley but that is quite a bit of BP which might take its place...

He'd need some lactose to get a real sweet stout though

He'd need some lactose to get a real sweet stout though

I would say to mash high as another option for a sweet stout, but with 8 lb of base malt, that may not leave enough fermentables for a decent ABV... unless it was a smaller-than-5-gallon batch

Back