help me design my next kolsch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluketamer

Reaction score
My inventory:

yeasts

1 llalemand kolsch slurry 2 weeks old in fridge.
2 wyest2565 smack pack
3 34/70 (2 packs)
4 cellarscience german slurry 4 weeks old in fridge

hops
1 oz tettananger
1 oz perle
1 oz hallertaua mittelfru
1 oz magnum
2 oz pacifica hallertau
huell melon
mandarina
mosaic
zamba

grain
12 # briess 2 row
12 # briess pilsner
2 lbs vienna
2 lbs munich
1 lb caramel 20

i am brewing this weekend . need help with my next kolsch

thanks for any tips in advance.

For grain, I'd go with Pilsner to about 5-5.2%. If you want, you can replace some of the Pilsner with some Vienna, but it doesn't really belong in a Kolsch. Some people just like it and don't worry about "traditional". German hops are best for it, so I'd stick with the Hallertau M and the Tettnanger, mid 20's ibu. You could also use the Perle for bittering. Definitely use the Kolsch yeast, as that what makes it a Kolsch. Otherwise, it would be more of a Pale Ale or Blonde. No Munich or C20.

With your selection:
10 lbs Pilsner (or if you go for the mix, 8 Pils, 2 Vienna... I like Vienna)
Bitter with 1 oz Perle, flavor with 1 oz Hallertau M at 15
Kolsch yeast

thanks thats was i was looking for.

im going with the 80/20 pils/vienna. and the perle/ hallertau sounds perfect

i also like vienna 10-20 percent .

thanks

100% Pilsner, Magnum for bittering, Mittelfruh for flavor. Either the Lallemand Koln or WY2565--I've made good Kolsch with both. Munich and caramel don't fit there. You could add a little Vienna for dimension. Some people add a little wheat malt, but that's not on your list. Kolsch is a delicate beer--too many ingredients can make it something else, like a blonde ale.

Last edited:
Use the kolsch slurry so it’ll be available for your next batch. There’s no more where that came from.

If you wanted to do something different, Magnum actually works nicely as an aroma hop.

If you wanted to do something different, and you are a horrible person, you could use Mosaic.

90% Pils
10% Vienna
Perle/Mittel for bittering (do not use magnum)
Tettnang for flavor/aroma

Use both 2565 packs if you can't make starter. 1.050ish OG. 30 IBU.

My last 10 gallon batch of Kolsch (1.048 OG/1.010 FG, 21 IBUs) used 6% Vienna and the rest Weyermann pilsner, with an ounce of Hallertau Blanc @60 and 2.5 ounces of Hallertau Hersbrucker @10. Big wy2565 starter, ran it at 60°F for two weeks, ramped to 67°F over a few days, cold crashed and kegged. Good summer ale...

Cheers!

-Kolsch yeast, definitely. Split the batch if you can, see which kolsch yeast you like and let us know.
-Pils malt
-10-20% Vienna malt is fine
-No wheat on the list, but l like a 1/4lbs or so of that.
-Pearle bittering, Tett finishing - shoot for 25-30 ibu's
-Ferment at 60 for 10 days, then raise it up mid 60's to finish for a total of 14-21 days
-Cold crash to 32
-transfer it and keep it at 32 for another couple weeks

I brewed my one and only Kolsch last year. 4.6%
75% Pilsner
20% Vienna
5% Wheat (I'll probably drop the wheat next time)
Hallmitt and Tettnang to 23 ibu's
WY2565
Very enjoyable. Took it to an early summer party and had lots of compliments. One guy said he'd.... "definitely buy this beer if it were in stores."

Back