Is this yeast cloud viable as a starter liquid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewdon

Reaction score
was left with this yeast sludge in the bottom of my 2 fermentation vessels after bottling and I combined them… wondering if it’s going to be good for starting a new batch with or if I’m better off tossing it because off flavors will present themselves, if anyone has experience with this.

Attachments

• EC1B30EC-0F8F-46EC-B989-71F5DD49EB05.jpeg
    EC1B30EC-0F8F-46EC-B989-71F5DD49EB05.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Judging from the picture it looks OK . . .. but did the fermented beer you got it from taste OK?

If your beer didn't turn out the way you had hoped there's no sense in ruining another batch. If you practiced good sanitation in handling the left-over yeast I'd say, go ahead and reuse it.

Lots of folks reuse or cultivate the left-over yeast and on occasion I have but with a special yeast I want to save. My opinion is that the cost of pitching new yeast with every batch is cheap insurance that I'll get good results.

Judging from the picture it looks OK . . .. but did the fermented beer you got it from taste OK?

If your beer didn't turn out the way you had hoped there's no sense in ruining another batch. If you practiced good sanitation in handling the left-over yeast I'd say, go ahead and reuse it.

Lots of folks reuse or cultivate the left-over yeast and on occasion I have but with a special yeast I want to save. My opinion is that the cost of pitching new yeast with every batch is cheap insurance that I'll get good results.
Oh crap, I should have specified this is kombucha yeast sludge 🤦‍♂️ lol my bad

Yeah I haven’t ventured into reusing my yeast cakes from beer, mainly because of the fact that I don’t use a hop spider and get hop sediment on the carboy at the end.

Lately I have been thinking about resuing Kveik yeast because I plan on making a ton of batches and would be interested in starting a cultivation of this fascinating yeast, but think I’d have to invest in a hop spider first.

Not swaying you from a hop spider but I wouldn't worry too much with hop debris. You could wash the yeast which would leave yeast part most intact if you're really concerned.

Lots of posts here about reusing yeast and washing it too

I know nothing about kombucha. (Doesn't it use a big SCOBY mother gelatinous blob?)

But when re-using beer yeast, I try to do one of the following:
Good - Save yeast after closed transfer in the fermenter. Try to use within a week or two.
Better - Save yeast in a sanitized mason jar at refrigerator temperatures. Can survive for months/years depending on generation # and sanitary practices. Needs a starter if not used within a week or two.
Best - Re-pitch immediately.

Were I a kombucha drinker, I'd probably wait to transfer off the mother until I'm ready to pitch the next batch. (Is it tea and sugar? Really stretching the ol' memory here.)

Last edited:
I know nothing about kombucha. (Doesn't it use a big SCOBY mother gelatinous blob?)

Good - Save yeast after closed transfer in the fermenter. Try to use within a week or two.
Better - Save yeast in a sanitized mason jar at refrigerator temperatures. Can survive for months/years depending on generation # and sanitary practices. Needs a starter if not used within a week or two.

Were I a kombucha drinker, I'd probably wait to transfer off the mother until I'm ready to pitch the next batch. (Is it tea and sugar? Really stretching the ol' memory here.)
Yes, the Scoby, or the blob!

So what is this? I just read about secondary fermentation with fruit. Is that what this is from?

My read of 2 questionable how-to websites seems to say people keep the primary fermentation as the propagation material, and secondary sounds like a dead-end. Possibly just to keep fruit solids out of the mother.

Not swaying you from a hop spider but I wouldn't worry too much with hop debris. You could wash the yeast which would leave yeast part most intact if you're really concerned.

Lots of posts here about reusing yeast and washing it too
Appreciate that input, I’m going to look into it

Do you notice the difference of throwing hops right in vs hop spider?

The “blob” later that forms on top is actually called a pellicile. The “SCOBY” is actually just the liquid you’re left with after completed first fermentation. You really don’t need the blob to start a batch.

Appreciate that input, I’m going to look into it

Do you notice the difference of throwing hops right in vs hop spider?
I would say that I don't notice any difference but I do brew mostly without using a hop spider.

The last 5-10 minutes of my boil I throw in my last hops, then stir it real good. I then turn off the heat and add Irish moss, stir some more. It called whirl pooling if you're not sure. The stirring action forms a cone of hop trub and hot break material on the of the kettle.

When draining the wort watch to make sure the junk doesn't drain out too. I have tried using on screen on the output but they clog up too easy.

So what is this? I just read about secondary fermentation with fruit. Is that what this is from?

My read of 2 questionable how-to websites seems to say people keep the primary fermentation as the propagation material, and secondary sounds like a dead-end. Possibly just to keep fruit solids out of the mother.
This is the yeast that drops to the bottom of first fermentation (F1) vessel. When I use fruit, it’s only into the bottles being used for second fermentation (F2).

Secondary is only for drinking, yeah. It can cause unwanted flavors in your next batches.

Back