Mystery Coffee Bean Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thats a really clean natural. Your chaff removal is top notch btw, i didn't see a single flake of it. Part of the reason I suspected washed coffee. Im looking forward to tossing those greens in the roaster this weekend.

I put roasted beans, 3# at a time, into the kitchenaid mixer with the whisk attachment and let rip on speed 2. Removes almost all of it. I never considered washing them. I might try that.

USPS says @jimyson has some coffee siting in his mailbox. Enjoy bud!

I did indeed! Too generous. Loving the new mug and can’t wait to try your beans and your homebrew. More to come.

IMG_2749.JPG

I did indeed! Too generous. Loving the new mug and can’t wait to try your beans and your homebrew. More to come.

Enjoy bud! I can’t wait to see your thoughts on the two beans.
Also, I knew you were looking for sours so enjoy that Gose from The Veil and figured the melomel I made would be welcomed too. Maybe that Gose would be good in the mug too. [emoji6]

I put roasted beans, 3# at a time, into the kitchenaid mixer with the whisk attachment and let rip on speed 2. Removes almost all of it. I never considered washing them. I might try that.
I think if you washed your roasted beans you would get something similar to decaf wouldn’t you? The kitchen aid mixer is a great idea!

@HarborTownBrewing
Ok so I think I have this down now but I’m probably wrong. My wife and I both agree mystery bean 2 has a dominant unsweetened cocoa flavor. I feel like I get some earthy tones too. I am sure this is a south or Central America bean. I want to say Columbia or Brazil. My wife says Mexico or Columbia so since we have 2 votes on Columbia that will be my answer. Ok Regis....B Columbia, final answer!

I had bean A from @pshankstar today that was brewed in the Moccamaster and enjoyed in my new mug. I’m not sure what to say other than this tasted like a regular cup of coffee should taste. Maybe roasted a slight bit longer because of the perceived bitterness. But nothing really stood out from a flavor or aroma perspective other than the slight bitterness. That’s not a bad thing though.

When I ground it, I sensed a woody/earthyness. Nothing more though. That didn’t follow through to the flavor, which is ok if you ask me. I’d guess that he took this maybe 15 to 20 seconds into second crack. The oils are starting to appear too.

I’m going to likely roast this 5-10 seconds less that he did to see what happens. I’m glad he uses the same machine and I have a suspicion of how he likely roasted it so I think I can get pretty close.

I’ll be checking this in the espresso machine later today.

I have a guess of what this bean is but I’m going to wait until I roast and brew it in a few different manners.

IMG_2759.JPG

IMG_0001.JPG

Thanks for the feedback @jimyson! I'm still learning on the Behmor and I feel like my roasts go a little longer than I plan for. I need to get better at getting the beans cooled earlier so they don't continue to roast longer than I would like. I feel like I want to stop before 2C but they drift into 2C on me so I need to work on the timing more and be better at it.

@pshankstar - I use the Behmor 1600+ as well. I started keeping notes on my batches so I know when to expect certain milestones - just for the reason you mentioned. For example, I generally roast 1/4lb at a time (so we have multiple varietals to drink) and since I preheat the unit to the same temp every temp, I remove, as much as possible anyway, starting temp as a variable.
With that, I generally know within a few seconds when I'll hit 1C and then when I'll hit 2C if I take it that far.
This way, if I want to go lighter, I know that I hit 1C @ 9:30 (example) but not 2C until 11:00 so I know I have ~ 1 1/1 minutes to play with in between for colling/stopping purposes.

Apologies if you already do this. I don't want to come across as me knowing everything, because I CERTAINLY don't. Just sharing what I do to handle what you mentioned.

@HarborTownBrewing
Ok so I think I have this down now but I’m probably wrong. My wife and I both agree mystery bean 2 has a dominant unsweetened cocoa flavor. I feel like I get some earthy tones too. I am sure this is a south or Central America bean. I want to say Columbia or Brazil. My wife says Mexico or Columbia so since we have 2 votes on Columbia that will be my answer. Ok Regis....B Columbia, final answer!

Just to be clear (in case it was lost in the thread), I added a lb of un-labelled greens so @Br3w4u could have some fun trying to guess another one that he would have to blindly roast.

So this one was also a tough one. I will agree, I also have gotten the unsweetened cocoa flavor when I have roasted and drank this one. I tend to also get some lemon or citrus flavors as well when the cup is a little warmer. This is a really tough bean to roast (I had 20 lbs of it and sort of struggled my way through it at times).

It is actually a Burundi Kiganda.

@Kealia No offense taken at all. I take notes with each batch I brew, but I haven't been recording/logging temps throughout the roast till the last couple. I haven't roasted enough of the same beans yet to know when I may hit 1C, but I am going to try to do that moving forward. I think the other thing I can do is drop the temp from the P5 to something lower once 1C starts to take off. I think that I will help me from blowing through it. That's the fun thing about it is trying it over and over again. I need to start buying at least 5 pounds of a bean so I can roast it over and over again to dial it in better. One of the beans I sent to @jimyson I only purchased 2 pounds of it. So I could roast some for him and I and include some green beans for him too. The other one I did buy 5 pounds of it, but I think I only roasted some of it once before roasting some for him. I may need to roast more of it this weekend and try to predict everything a little better.
I appreciate all of the info and insight! That's what makes this forum great, everyone is willing to help out and offer suggestions! Cheers!

Just to be clear (in case it was lost in the thread), I added a lb of un-labelled greens so @Br3w4u could have some fun trying to guess another one that he would have to blindly roast.

So this one was also a tough one. I will agree, I also have gotten the unsweetened cocoa flavor when I have roasted and drank this one. I tend to also get some lemon or citrus flavors as well when the cup is a little warmer. This is a really tough bean to roast (I had 20 lbs of it and sort of struggled my way through it at times).

It is actually a Burundi Kiganda.
:eek: “There’s a good saying in Tennessee, well it’s a good saying in Texas, I’m sure they say it in Tennessee too.....Fool me once...shame on you. If you fool me I won’t get fooled again!” I guess that saying wasn’t true....completely wrong continent! Thanks for the challenges. That was fun.

Even though I about choked the machine I managed to get a shot from @pshanlstar Bean A. I did a second pull off of it too since the first only got about 15ml. A little messy but that’s what rags are for.

I got a slight bit of chocolate and it was a nice shot. Not too bitter considering the pull. This bean reminds me a lot of my Uganda bean with the generic profile. Again, that’s not a bad thing. I’m thinking Colombia but will wait a bit to lock that in.

I think I’ll give bean B a shot tomorrow. I’ve not opened it yet so unsure what to expect.

IMG_2761.JPG

For now, sipping on my fruit juice. [emoji16]

IMG_2762.JPG

I've had company in the house the last week and they like "their" coffee (dunkin). I'll brew on saturday and have my guess by this weekend.

Also, although I roasted for my recipient, I realized that he already has the bean I roasted. I'm roasting a different bean tonight and will ship tomorrow.

I got my mom in to coffee roasting now. She found a popcorn roaster like mine at a thrift store for $3! I wish I had thought of that but oh well. I got her a Bodum French press for her birthday and she’s been checking out Sweet Maria’s. :rock:

Good morning everyone! Thanks @pshankstar for putting this together and thanks @jimyson for the coffee and beer. The Saison hit the spot the other day when the temperature got into the mid 70's. Now on to the coffee as best I can do.
Except for the one pot of each that was brewed at work on the Behmor the rest was pour over at 205º using a Kone filter.

Coffee A
A nice clean aroma from the bean and in the cup with a nice body and slight acidity. I get what I describe as a slight nut or carmel flavor and an occasional taste of bakers chocolate. I want to say this coffee was picked by Juan in Costa Rica.

Coffee B
Berry when opening the bag, berry when grinding, berry when brewing and berry in the cup along with a nice brightness. Did I mention I get berry from this? This coffee was definitely a hit with the wife. I'm going Burundi with this one.

Good morning everyone! Thanks @pshankstar for putting this together and thanks @jimyson for the coffee and beer. The Saison hit the spot the other day when the temperature got into the mid 70's. Now on to the coffee as best I can do.
Except for the one pot of each that was brewed at work on the Behmor the rest was pour over at 205º using a Kone filter.

Coffee A
A nice clean aroma from the bean and in the cup with a nice body and slight acidity. I get what I describe as a slight nut or carmel flavor and an occasional taste of bakers chocolate. I want to say this coffee was picked by Juan in Costa Rica.

Coffee B
Berry when opening the bag, berry when grinding, berry when brewing and berry in the cup along with a nice brightness. Did I mention I get berry from this? This coffee was definitely a hit with the wife. I'm going Burundi with this one.

Teasing me with those temps!! I’m glad that you enjoyed.

Coffee A:

IMG_2802.JPG

Coffee B:

IMG_2803.JPG

Based on your tasting, I’m curious about what you want to change when you roast the green beans. It’s always helpful to see others perspectives.

Just roasted the greens I got from @Kealia . It was my first time roasting 1/2 lb in the Bullet, all other roasts have been 1lb or more. I screwed up and turned my fan down a notch from the start, when I meant to turn it up. So I got to 1C a little sooner than I had hoped but all is well. Dropped it with 12.7% development so I'm hoping to find some nice fruit in this one. Looking forward to cupping it in a few days.

upload_2019-3-18_18-54-41.png

I mixed it with my Colombia Narino today and really liked the two together. I may trial some blends with the greens that you provided.

I have roasted that bean once for my wife and I before this trade. I would agree it was much better blended. The bean itself was ok but I think I need to start cooling a little earlier too.
I’m excited to see what you think of “B”. It was the first time roasting and drinking that one but we enjoyed it a lot! I’ll have to get more if possible b/c I’m now out.

Just cupped the greens I roasted from @Kealia and it's definitely a different taste than the ones he sent me. This was a Yirg, but it's still unlike most of the yirgs I roast. Most of the ones I go for are on the fruit spectrum, this doesn't quite have this. I wonder if this is one of the ones that's described more as a "black tea" like bean.

Anyways, I roasted this one light (12.7% development) and I got a sort of dark cherry or plum flavor. Once it cooled a bit it took on a cocoa powder flavor. Definitely not sweet; it has a tea-like bitterness kind of like if you had steeped Irish Breakfast for 3:30 at 205F.

Looking forward to trying this again in a day or two. I like this part of the exchange - getting to roast a bean that's a bit of a mystery still. I have no idea what the flavor profile should be or what to expect - kind of cool.

That's cool. My wife really prefers the chocolate notes in her beans, unless we're talking about Ethiopian where she really wants the berry notes. Me? I'm happy to have something smooth, rich and not bitter on the mornings when I do drink coffee.

Out of curiosity, do you do cupping in the way that I've read about it? (A traditional cupping, so to speak). I've actually never done that using the rationale that I don't drink coffee that way so what good would testing/cupping it in that manner do me? Although, I am a curious guy by nature, so maybe I should....

Out of curiosity, do you do cupping in the way that I've read about it? (A traditional cupping, so to speak). I've actually never done that using the rationale that I don't drink coffee that way so what good would testing/cupping it in that manner do me? Although, I am a curious guy by nature, so maybe I should....

I have done it a few times but it gets messy for me. I get the coffee-shakes pretty easily so it's tough to keep from spilling coffee out of a spoon haha.

My go to for picking out flavors is usually Chemex with paper filters followed by Chemex with the Able Kone. I'll get different flavors out of my Melitta too so sometimes I'll do that.

Brewed a pot of @passedpawn’s mystery beans this morning in my Bonavita Connoisseur drip machine. My first cup which I’m drinking right now I get a nutty and woody characters. I want to make more with it before I guess, maybe even run it through the French Press too. The bag when I opened it smelled like roasted walnuts too.

I brewed a pour over of B coffee today from @pshankstar. The aroma from the bean is quite woody/nutty and smells like it would be acidic. I taste a bit of nuttiness and has the acidity that reminds me of an apple. It’s a nice cup of coffee. I’ll be giving it a good run this weekend.

I've been drinking the beans that @shelly_belly sent to me. Seems to be perfectly roasted. Two days in a row I thought I got a peanut butter flavor from it, maybe some cocoa. I'm going to say El Salvador. Pretty much a wild guess.

I'm really enjoying it. It's almost gone :) I think I'll roast the other 8 oz myself and compare my roast to his. I get some burnt beans with my ghetto roaster, so I don't expect to improve though.

I decided to dig in again and make an Americano with Bean B. I got a very slight chocolate aroma at first but then quickly was overtaken by wood/earth/nut aroma. Upon grinding, it has an aroma that I can’t place. Some spice I’d imagine. The shot ran through pretty quick from my baseline so it has some improvement to make. Even with that, it make a VERY nice cup of coffee. Quite soft and buttery. Still that nutty flavor and the acidity blends in really nice while complimenting the flavors. I’m really impressed with the cup. I’m leaning towards Costa Rica for this one at this point. I’ll work to dial in that shot over the weekend. So far so good @pshankstar.

I decided to dig in again and make an Americano with Bean B. I got a very slight chocolate aroma at first but then quickly was overtaken by wood/earth/nut aroma. Upon grinding, it has an aroma that I can’t place. Some spice I’d imagine. The shot ran through pretty quick from my baseline so it has some improvement to make. Even with that, it make a VERY nice cup of coffee. Quite soft and buttery. Still that nutty flavor and the acidity blends in really nice while complimenting the flavors. I’m really impressed with the cup. I’m leaning towards Costa Rica for this one at this point. I’ll work to dial in that shot over the weekend. So far so good @pshankstar.

Let me know when you’re ready for me to reveal the beans. No rush but I don’t want to jump the gun either.

Back