Mystery Coffee Bean Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to trade some home roasted coffee beans among the group, but with a twist. Here is how it will work:

1. Let me know that you want to take part in the trade. The deadline to join is February 28.

2. On March 1, I will randomly choose who you will send coffee to.

3. You send a minimum of 8 oz of roasted whole bean coffee (8oz before roasting, there will be some loss). You will need to send another 8 oz of the same beans un-roasted too (green beans) by March 11. So in theory a full pound, half roasted and half green of the same beans.

4. The roasted beans and matching green beans will need to be identified in a way that the receiver knows they go together, but without giving away any information about the beans. Both packages could be labeled with "???". If you add more that the minimum, then you could label them as "A-???", "B-???" and "C-???" (both the roasted and green beans would have the same label). Just a suggestion.

5. Once you receive your coffee, you will try to figure out what beans were sent to you. Were they African, Central or South American, Island beans, or South Pacific beans. What flavors or aromas did you detect or pickup?

You can feel free to send more green and/or roasted beans or anything else coffee related to make it more fun but it’s not required. The whole point of this is, to roast some coffee and send it along with some of the same beans but green to the person you are selected to ship to. Then that person tries to guess where the beans came from and can enjoy what you roasted but also have a chance to roast some themselves. You may end up with a bean from a region that you normally wouldn't have selected or tried before.

Please post feedback, your guesses, thoughts, etc to this thread for all to enjoy.

If you can, send freshly roasted coffee.

This is Continental US only.

What do you think? Who wants in?

PS - I copied and pasted this format and a lot of the words from @jimyson's post back in August of 2018. Also, if you feel like the timeline is too short to buy beans for this, please let me know. It's more of guidelines instead of hard and fast rules. Thanks!

Sure, I'm in. My palette is not very good in picking up subtleties, though. When I taste coffee I can tell acidic from smooth, rich from weak and that's about it, though.
Sometimes, I can pick up some chocolate noted or in the case of the Ethiopian Banko, blueberry.

That being said, my wife can pick out very subtle nuances so it might be fun for her.

Question: Should we also note how we like our coffee roasted so I don't send somebody a Full City + roast when they really prefer a City roast?

That’s a good question @Kealia! I would say no. The reason being is to try something different all the way around. I like lighter roasts but the bean I receive may be roasted darker than I would normally do but then I have chance to roast it once or twice my way and can compare them.
It’s just my two cents and it’s not a rule. I figured this is something possibly fun and interesting to do if we get a few people to try something new/different.

So far in less than 24 hours we have the following members interested so far. Woohoo!
  1. pshankstar
  2. Kealia
  3. passedpawn
  4. HarborTownBrewing
  5. jimyson
  6. Br3w4u

Current list of participants as of 2/12/19. Anyone else interested? Calling @applescrap @TallDan @jammin Anyone I might be missing? We still have a few weeks (figured it might help if anyone needs to order more coffee) but thought I might send an update.
  1. pshankstar
  2. Kealia
  3. passedpawn
  4. HarborTownBrewing
  5. jimyson
  6. Br3w4u
  7. Inkleg
  8. shelly_belly

I’ll be traveling home this Friday. So I’ll try to do the randomizing while I stop for dinner. If I forget I apologize and I’ll do it first thing on Saturday.
When I proposed this trade I wasn’t traveling for work this week. Well things changed but I hope to get it out late in the day Friday.
Cheers gents and take care!

Took forever for my civet to eat and crap enough beans for a full batch, but I'm ready now. Wonder who's going to be the lucky taster?

But srsly, I've got the greenies here and I'll be roasting this week for this event.
I’ve had some civet poo coffee and you would never know that it was in a turd before it was in your cup. Likely to be a possibility with most things that you receive from a stranger you met online :confused:

IMG_4398.JPG

The order is set!

1. pshankstar ships to jimyson
  2. Kealia ships to HarborTownBrewing
  3. passedpawn ships to pshankstar
  4. HarborTownBrewing ships to Br3w4u
  5. jimyson ships to Inkleg
  6. Br3w4u ships to shelly_belly
  7. Inkleg ships to jammin
  8. shelly_belly ships to passedpawn
  9. jammin ships to Kealia

EDIT - Per two people shipping to the same person from the last coffee trade, I swapped the two since the senders both ok’ed it. @passedpawn now ships to me and @Inkleg ships to @jammin. All I know is @jammin is in for a treat, @Inkleg sent me some good stuff last time! [emoji6]
The list is updated above with the change.

Get in touch with the person who you are shipping to or receiving from so they have your contact information.
Remember you will roast 8oz of coffee and send 8oz of the same coffee green without any indication of what region the beans are from. If you send more than one kind, please label them so the receiver knows which roasted and green beans go together.
Feel free to include any extra coffee related items in the package if you would like but it’s not necessary. Beers and home brews or anything else is always welcomed too but not required. This is a brewing forum, right. Haha
I’m looking forward to this and I hope everyone has a good time with it too! Cheers!

Last edited:
Hmmm, I sent to jammin on the last one. So much for random. I kinda feel sorry for jammin here.

Inkleg shipped to me last time too. If there’s a bunch of duplicates from last time and people want me to randomize it again I would be more than happy too.
Keep me posted guys.

Beans have been roasted and are ready to be shipped on Monday. No time like the present. They should have a 3-4 day rest when received and be ready to go.

My package will likely include some German Shepherd hair - no additional cost.
Inkleg's package should be hair-free. If there's any hair stuck to it I would be VERY cautious...

My package will likely include some German Shepherd hair - no additional cost.
Inkleg's package should be hair-free. If there's any hair stuck to it I would be VERY cautious...
You know you love a little Kinky. I have pictures to prove it. ;)

I’m sitting at work drinking one of the coffees I sent to @jammin thinking I botched the roast. I have a Behmor Brazen machine at work so I will be looking forward to what he says when he pulls a shot.

Back