Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I invite people over on brew day and they always see the bucket of sanitizer and ask "is that the beer?" either that or everything stinks to them (mash, boil, hops etc)

For some reason, a lot of the ones I get seem to involve my bathtub?

One day, I'm going to build a manifold to fit my tub and actually mash a batch in it, just for these folks! :D

there's an abandon house next door to us. I just happen to know (from no personal viewing experience) that they have a big ol' bathtub doin' nothing. I may have to open ferment in a "borrowed" bathtub. I'm all about obnoxious stereotypes.:rockin:

I got this from SWMBO when we met 3 years ago (we were just friends at this point). In one of my rare moments where I wasn't a half brain dead gorilla I said, "I can change that" (this is before I had any interestin homebrewing).

Went and bought some Franzikaner, some Leinenkugels (honestly, Leinenkugels I've found to be the best way to get the "I don't like beer" people to start to open up to the idea of beer since its a good cross-roads between beer and juice), some Hinterlands (I really like their Luna Coffee Stout), as well as some New Glarus Spotted Cow. If there's one thing I know, its how to turn a "I don't like beer" person into "You should buy two 6-packs of that beer, one for you and one for me" person.:rockin:

Addendum: Also the same person after receiving a Kitchen Aid mixer as a Christmas present made me some from scratch brownies using BORIS the Crusher in the mix, then making a (still very boozy) chocolate glaze with the BORIS. They were like a mix between fudge, brownies, and coffee, with a slight hint of booze from the glaze, and a deep chocolatyness, consumed the brownies with a large glass of nearly room temp BORIS. Wow...

I need to try this with mine. I don't like the idea of homebrew going twice as fast though.

A friend of my girlfriend's exclaimed to me a couple weeks ago "eww, beer is gross-- it has yeast in it."-- as she held a glass of vodka.

Probably the most annoying for me are the guys who get upset because I won't just give them a case of beer every other day.

After all, I make it myself so it doesn't cost me anything right?

A friend of my girlfriend's exclaimed to me a couple weeks ago "eww, beer is gross-- it has yeast in it."-- as she held a glass of vodka.

Well to be fair, vodka doesn't have any yeast in it anymore since it is distilled.

"What kind of beer do you brew?"
"I like light beers, like a pilsner, or an ale."

"Well I make all types of beers really, you name it. Most recently I made a Belgian Saison"

-blinking pause-

"Yeah, I tried that Blue Moon stuff once.....it was pretty good."

--end conversation--

This made my co workers aske me what the hell I was doing because I was laugher soo hard. Yes im posting this up while Im at work. I soo get the same damn thing everytime I mention Im a homebrewer. Ususally im not the one who tells people that I do home brew. Other do it for me but the classic line I get is

oh yeah I like blue moon. Can you make a keystone light?? I dont even reply.

One of the most annoying coments I get when they are in my garage tasting my homebrew is;

Oh an orange, lime, or lemon, would be great in this!

Last night my father-in-law gave me the "Why would I want to make it when Mr Yuengling does all the work for me?"

The most annoying comment I have gotten so far is, "why would you brew your own beer if you can go to the corner and just buy a six pack?"

Last night my father-in-law gave me the "Why would I want to make it when Mr Yuengling does all the work for me?"

The most annoying comment I have gotten so far is, "why would you brew your own beer if you can go to the corner and just buy a six pack?"

Why would you make your own burgers when you can just go to McDonalds?
Why would you grow a vegetable garden when you can just go to the store?
Why would you bake cookies when you can just buy some Chips Ahoy?

And I wouldn't be suprised if a lot of people replied to that sensical logic with "yeah, I know, you're so true" and then not understand why you either are staring at them blankly while your brain tries to handle that, or just turn and walk away without saying another word :D

What gets me are the people who tell me they'd love to try my beer but just not now because they don't want to get drunk. I try to explain they don't have to drink that much to "taste" the beer but they don't understand the concept... They automatically think home brew gets you wasted.

What gets me are the people who tell me they'd love to try my beer but just not now because they don't want to get drunk. I try to explain they don't have to drink that much to "taste" the beer but they don't understand the concept... They automatically think home brew gets you wasted.

Or the only point to drinking beer is to get drunk :D

Wasn't sure how to take this one a few hours ago. My son & I went to Artisian Springs to get 7 gallons of spring water for my next brew. Went from 70c to $1.75...gee,thanks Obama!:mad: Anyway,I had to loose the last quart+ of water,as I'd filled the last jug to the top. Boy,that stuff is cold comin outta the bedrock. So this woman to my left says,"well,it looks like you got your shower for today!". "Yeah,or I just got my feet washed". "But it's good for home brewing,the yeast seems to love it". Gives me the face & says "oh really?"! The next couple seconds were just a blank poker face like she really wasn't sure what to think,much less say. Oh well,no chance to preach the gospel here. So I loaded up & split.
It was bad enough the bridge was close for repairs that would've taken us the last half mile or so there. Naaah...too easy that. We had to go around a country block,& got stopped by a double train crossing.
After all that trying to get there,preaching the home brew gospel would've been some small reward. At least a what are you brewing?...:confused:

This weekend I was brewing a second batch of Oktoberfest new neighbor walking by "Cooking a turkey?"
me: No, making beer.
neighbor: Why?
me: Because it's what I do.
neighbor: Oh ok, see ya.

I wouldn't know if I was supposed to be annoyed at that, or just think "wow, he friggin burned me good on that one". He either was on drugs or thought you were on drugs, cause thats a classic "this is illegal separate myself immediately" response.

Wasn't sure how to take this one a few hours ago. My son & I went to Artisian Springs to get 7 gallons of spring water for my next brew. Went from 70c to $1.75...gee,thanks Obama!:mad: Anyway,I had to loose the last quart+ of water,as I'd filled the last jug to the top. Boy,that stuff is cold comin outta the bedrock. So this woman to my left says,"well,it looks like you got your shower for today!". "Yeah,or I just got my feet washed". "But it's good for home brewing,the yeast seems to love it". Gives me the face & says "oh really?"! The next couple seconds were just a blank poker face like she really wasn't sure what to think,much less say. Oh well,no chance to preach the gospel here. So I loaded up & split.
It was bad enough the bridge was close for repairs that would've taken us the last half mile or so there. Naaah...too easy that. We had to go around a country block,& got stopped by a double train crossing.
After all that trying to get there,preaching the home brew gospel would've been some small reward. At least a what are you brewing?...:confused:

Did Obama also steal the space after all of your commas?

Monster Mash said:
I get that a lot. I hand someone a Pale Ale and they tell me it tastes like guinness.

My first beer was an Irish Red, I gave it to a supervisor at work and he compared it to Guinness... He never got beer again.

paulster2626 said:

You know after reading through this thread I wish I would have thought of this at the time. Great response.

My neighbor got a bottle of my hb razweizen. He tried a sip and said "this tastes like it has mustard seeds in it." In a panic I snatched the bottle and tried it myself, fearing some heinous infection. Thankfully, It tasted like a raspberry wheat. No infection. I called him an idiot. He later apologized. That annoyed me.

No annoying responses, mostly requests. However, I can't offer any right now, because it's not finished.

Next batch is a red. 5 gallons. There shall be distribution.

Not as much as response, but lack of appreciation!

A lady at work is always asking for my homebrew, so each batch, I'll give her one or two. I've been making cider and beer almost every weekend since February with all my brew crew, so I've given her lots to drink! Since February, she's only drank two!

She still wants them but "hasn't had time to drink them"!!!

If she wasn't smoking hot, I'd go take back all that delicious beer!!!!

Larzean said:
My first beer was an Irish Red, I gave it to a supervisor at work and he compared it to Guinness... He never got beer again.

They do both have that roasted barley bitterness to them (if it's a good *Irish* red). So maybe he picked up on that. Maybe his palate is more sensitive than you're giving credit.

Every time my father inlaw comes over he sees my keggles in the garage and says that just looks wrong. What? Your making moonshine. Dude wtf! He said that again on Saturday when he saw my IC sitting on e counter in my garage. Irritates the crap out of me.

Yesterday while carrying my full kettle to the bathtub for an ice after boil. The wife: "that looks heavy". That was pretty annoying

I feel ya there. I used to lift my keggle mash tun onto my counter in my garage to sparge... The last time before I bought a pump I had 23lbs of grain in it. My wife just got home with the kids and said "don't throw your back out again" I then said well why don't you grab a handle and help me.

Every time my father inlaw comes over he sees my keggles in the garage and says that just looks wrong. What? Your making moonshine. Dude wtf! He said that again on Saturday when he saw my IC sitting on e counter in my garage. Irritates the crap out of me.

I'm always getting that too.
Everybody claims a cop is gonna bust me one day.

What ever!

pb

Back