Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor who has called the county on me numerous times was talking to the neighbor that gets along with everyone and he explained that "I'm not running a still the copper coil is used to cool down the beer,"
I started to point out that it's not beer til it ferments but I just let it go.

I love it when people ask me "can't you just buy beer in the store?" if I don't feel like dealing with their crap I typical respond with "I sure could, but I try to control how much of my life is outsourced"

I get that a lot too. they always have some smart mouthy look on their face like they really showed everyone my stupidity. I like to respond with, "I sure can. Just like you can stop sucking my grandma's d$^#." then they get angry. people are so fickle with their reactions.

I get that a lot too. they always have some smart mouthy look on their face like they really showed everyone my stupidity. I like to respond with, "I sure can. Just like you can stop sucking my grandma's d$^#." then they get angry. people are so fickle with their reactions.

Some just don't like the attention they get with what goes on between them and grandma I guess;)

Obligatory "can you make a Bud/Miller/Coors clone?" My rwsponse is usually "why the hell would I want to do that?"

My favorite so far was from a buddy of mine during a brew day. "This isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Were just sitting and watching water boil."

I told him he hasn't had enough to drink. After another 2 or 3 he was into it.

Happy to say that after he tried a sample once it was finished and bottled, he changed his mind. "I helped make this?! Lets make more!" Watching water boil...yeesh.

TangoHotel said:
My favorite so far was from a buddy of mine during a brew day. "This isn't as much fun as I thought it would be. Were just sitting and watching water boil."

If he was that bored, I'm sure there was something that needed to be scrubbed or sanitized ;-)

Obligatory "can you make a Bud/Miller/Coors clone?" My rwsponse is usually "why the hell would I want to do that?"

Happy to say that after he tried a sample once it was finished and bottled, he changed his mind. "I helped make this?! Lets make more!" Watching water boil...yeesh.

I've found that this almost always works. SWMBO wants to go to TJ Maxx, and look at every single thing possible? It's always less boring when I've been drinking.

This is the "Doing something boring? Apply beer until it is no longer boring" principle. (Not that brewing is boring, but like in all things everything is more fun drunk)

Addendum: Other than getting arrested.

I've found that this almost always works. SWMBO wants to go to TJ Maxx, and look at every single thing possible? It's always less boring when I've been drinking.

This is the "Doing something boring? Apply beer until it is no longer boring" principle. (Not that brewing is boring, but like in all things everything is more fun drunk)

I'm just going to insert the obligatory "herp derp you should never brew drunk because you can hurt yourself be sober be safe" right here.

Now the real Buzz Killington's in the world can just move on. NOTHING TO SEE HERE!

No, I believe that even getting arrested is more fun drunk.

Idk...getting arrested was always a buzzkill for me. Not really an annoying response,but the lady at the BP around the corner mentioned her brother brewed,but quit because of the fruit,spices,etc messing things up. She liked the sound of my NZ hopped IPA though. I just figured,why not just drop all the fruit & spices & just make some good beer? I'm gunna give her a couple bottles of my Maori IPA when it's ready. Maybe that'll get him going again?...

I think many people have the idea that home brewed beer will be like other things people make homemade that just don't turn out that good or have a hippy funk (think homemade ketchup).

This usually leads them to make a comment like, "Wow, it really isn't that bad!" Gee, thanks...

They don't realize that most of us view our brews as superior to many commercial brews. It isn't just about saving money by making it yourself, it's a real hobby.

Well I got one of the most annoying (to me) questions today:

"Hey can you brew me a light beer for a Summer party this year"

yes I can, no I won't

They don't realize that most of us view our brews as superior to many commercial brews. It isn't just about saving money by making it yourself, it's a real hobby.

I'm surprised by this as well... Recently my neighbor texted me that he was trying the [terrible] local brewpub's new DIPA...

I wrote back asking if it was any good, as most of their beers were terrible enough that if my homebrew was like them, I'd f'ing quit the hobby.

He said it was in fact terrible, and that he'd MUCH rather be drinking my beer!

Well I got one of the most annoying (to me) questions today:

"Hey can you brew me a light beer for a Summer party this year"

yes I can, no I won't

I have a light ale that just finished fermenting that will be a beer for a bachelorette party my wife is responsible for.

10-15 women, drinking homebrew. Tough crowd, hope it turns out.

You'd be surprised what beers women will actually enjoy. In my experiences,it's usually about flavor,not too bitter or overly hoppy. Follow these simple rules,& you're golden.

Oh man good luck! Let us know how it turns out, hopefully you won't have a lot of new 1 liners that fit this thread :/

Well, it's my 2nd "event" beer with non-homebrew people. First one was bro-in-law's party - everyone was just drinking a pale ale I made right out of the bottle and said it was awesome. Whatever.

These ladies though - they're gonna be pissed when the beer comes with instructions.

"This is how you pour it..."
"Rinse the bottle and put it upside down to dry in this special FastRack..."

Would have been easier to just buy a 1/2 keg of bud and bottle it.

One of SWMBO's friends made the comment this weekend that people die all the time from HB..... Great.... just flippen great!

Make them back up that BS from REAL facts! That's the kind of stupid things people pass around that really gets me. They know nothing,but wanna join in & sound intelligent on the subject. Better to remain silent & be thought a fool,then to speak up & remove all doubt,I say.

One of SWMBO's friends made the comment this weekend that people die all the time from HB..... Great.... just flippen great!

Man I can just see how that would go down in my house. My wife would see my eyes narrow and say something along the lines of "no thats not right, Mulva, no one dies from home brew" and wait for her to retract. I dont blow up on people, I just never talk to them again, and my wife would probably feel like seeing Mulva all by herself from here on would be a huge hassle.

I don't know, if I drop another thousand or so on equipment this year, I could die from homebrew. (My wife would claim it was a mercy killing).

I loled. But you're right as soon as I say I have an idea, I get the question "how much will this cost?" I've been slowly accumulating equipment for lagering. I told her that its for my oktoberfest. She says "all that money for one beer?"

Worth it. Every penny.

Brought a growler of my Founders Breakfast Stout clone in to the office for the bosses on Monday of last week(yes I am a kissass). Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Now everyone seems to be expecting me to bring one in every day/week. Really now? I am glad you appreciate it, but you are aware this costs me money right? And takes time. And F you I want to be able to have some too.

Brought a growler of my Founders Breakfast Stout clone in to the office for the bosses on Monday of last week(yes I am a kissass). Everyone seemed to enjoy it. Now everyone seems to be expecting me to bring one in every day/week. Really now? I am glad you appreciate it, but you are aware this costs me money right? And takes time. And F you I want to be able to have some too.

I brought some of the dudes I'm close with at work a few bottles, as they're always asking legit questions, etc.

They take the bottles home, I never see them again. Then the other day I got the "so when are you bringing in more homebrew?"

**** that.

One of my favorites "I don't like beer." Annoying but helpful, wont waste my beer on you.

I got this from SWMBO when we met 3 years ago (we were just friends at this point). In one of my rare moments where I wasn't a half brain dead gorilla I said, "I can change that" (this is before I had any interestin homebrewing).

Went and bought some Franzikaner, some Leinenkugels (honestly, Leinenkugels I've found to be the best way to get the "I don't like beer" people to start to open up to the idea of beer since its a good cross-roads between beer and juice), some Hinterlands (I really like their Luna Coffee Stout), as well as some New Glarus Spotted Cow. If there's one thing I know, its how to turn a "I don't like beer" person into "You should buy two 6-packs of that beer, one for you and one for me" person.:rockin:

Addendum: Also the same person after receiving a Kitchen Aid mixer as a Christmas present made me some from scratch brownies using BORIS the Crusher in the mix, then making a (still very boozy) chocolate glaze with the BORIS. They were like a mix between fudge, brownies, and coffee, with a slight hint of booze from the glaze, and a deep chocolatyness, consumed the brownies with a large glass of nearly room temp BORIS. Wow...

For some reason, a lot of the ones I get seem to involve my bathtub?

One day, I'm going to build a manifold to fit my tub and actually mash a batch in it, just for these folks! :D

Back