Most annoying response when you tell someone you're a homebrewer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've noticed a trend from all my friends and family trying my HB for the first time. It's almost like a back handed compliment.

"Wow! That's actually good!"

Like they expected my beer to be bad or something....even though they all know and love my culinary skills.

I always reply, "Yeah of course it is. What did you expect? If it were bad do you think I would make 200gal a year?"

Don't take it personally, I get the same thing. Usually it comes from trying a LOT of crappy homebrewed beers. One of the guys my brother in law hangs out with "brews". He thinks because he loves beer that it'll translate to his making beer. I haven't had a single decent beer from him yet. In fact his first 2 or 3 beers had to be thrown out entirely.

So when I hear someone say that I take it as a compliment or if they're just being a d*ck I usually toss out oh...sorry, you should have had the last one I did (insert the type), it was even better.

"So how did you build your still"? *smack myself on the forehead*

I live in an apartment that's attached to an auto-shop. One day a couple of the guys came out while I was using my immersion chiller to cool a batch. One of them poined at the hoses and said to the other "see, that clear stuff the beer" *smack myself on the forehead*

Anyone alse run into the assumption that you're a moonshiner?

Yes I get "you should try distilling it " all the time. I tell them I don't want any felonies thanks.

Yes I get "you should try distilling it " all the time. I tell them I don't want any felonies thanks.

A guy I work with "processed" a beer that was mediocre at best, as the hops I had used smelled good just no real bittering. I use it for soaking things that go into secondaries. Nothing could survive in this stuff.:eek:

I brew out of a shed next to my grandfathers house and when he found out the first thing he said was don't blow up my pump house

When I first started using keggles and propane burners, my wife said
" Don't do that on the porch, if it spills out on that open flame it'll set the whole porch on fire"
I just said "don't worry dear, I'll be careful" and went about my brewing.

To her credit, she did figure out on her own that wort isn't flammable.

I've found that this almost always works. SWMBO wants to go to TJ Maxx, and look at every single thing possible? It's always less boring when I've been drinking.

This is the "Doing something boring? Apply beer until it is no longer boring" principle. (Not that brewing is boring, but like in all things everything is more fun drunk)

Addendum: Other than getting arrested.
Sorry But I loved this.

the few people I have spoken to generally have the same response.. "Oh really? That must be interesting"
I did get a few "Is it legal?"

My faviorite HB conversation:
Them: "It's quicker to go to the store"
Me: "Sure but not as good tasting"
Them: "But it's cheaper"
Me: "And then I add in the cost of gas going round trip to the nearest store to buy beer as opposed to going to the LHBS on my way to work"

As I live out in the country it is a long road to buy beer... And a beer kit doesn't need to be chilled in my car over night while I am at work.( Yes I know I brew kits... No shame in my game though :rockin:)

Was talking to a friend the other day, beer n golf came up. (I used to golf)
He was telling me with the nice break in the weather we have he went out and shot 18 holes after work. Then his 4 sum went out and shot another 18.
so from 4 till 9 ish they golfed.
later in the conversation

him- How long does it take to make beer?

me- About 6 hours from start till everything is cleaned up then about a month till its ready to drink.

him- 6 hours! that's taking up the entire day, I have other things to do besides that!

me thinking - he just told me you spent 5 hours chasing a white ball??

A few days back, while at work, I was perusing through this site when one of my coworkers stopped in, she asked "whatcha up to?". I replied "oh just checking out what other homebrewers are up to" (mind you, she knows that I brew). To which she said "oh, you still into that stuff?"

The 2nd or 3rd time my lawncare guy had my beers with his bro & son in law,he asks if I had anything like bud light lime. :smack:

My 5% porter. "Thats so dark!". Probably gonna knock me on my ass!"

Why are people so scared of dark beer? They think it will make them too drunk and fat.

m3n00b said:

Why are people so scared of dark beer? They think it will make them too drunk and fat.

It's only logical, since vodka is so dark....

they fear what they do not understand... or maybe it's because they can't see through it and it's hiding something nasty:confused: I remember being younger and seeing people in restaurants drinking dark beer thinking "that guy must be a badass" so I don't see what the big hang-up is

After making a temp controlled fridge and really watching my pitching rate, my friends say "your beer is actually good now". Its kind of like telling someone, "hey your not fat anymore" sad part is, both statements are correct....

I'm on this trend I need to stop, I hear "Hey, youre getting fat"... crap I think it's because I homebrew

they fear what they do not understand... or maybe it's because they can't see through it and it's hiding something nasty:confused: I remember being younger and seeing people in restaurants drinking dark beer thinking "that guy must be a badass" so I don't see what the big hang-up is

That is the big hang-up. Remember when you were a kid and you saw a guy on a motorcycle? And you thought "hey, that guy must be a bad-ass!"

There are two responses to that thought:

1. I wanna be like that guy!
  2. Let's all stay away from that guy!

The people who are scared of dark beer are scared of dark beer because they have no inherent badassness within them. Thankfully, some of us do... :mug:

That is the big hang-up. Remember when you were a kid and you saw a guy on a motorcycle? And you thought "hey, that guy must be a bad-ass!"

There are two responses to that thought:

1. I wanna be like that guy!
  2. Let's all stay away from that guy!

The people who are scared of dark beer are scared of dark beer because they have no inherent badassness within them. Thankfully, some of us do... :mug:

most people seem to just be scared of anything that isn't a yellow fizzy watery beverage....we must EDUCATE! ha:ban:

Not having read through all 35 pages, I'm sure these have come up before, but the two most annoying responses I've gotten are....

"Is that safe?"

"Don't go blind!"

I don't like how some people think that just because you homebrew, you're always willing to give some away. I brew beer that I like to drink. I certainly don't mind sharing, but you have to throw something my way every now and then. A few dollars every 12 pack or so would help with the time and money involved in the whole process. If you borrow a friend's truck to move some furniture, you make sure to fill the tank before you're done. Just the way I think it should be.

Not having read through all 35 pages, I'm sure these have come up before, but the two most annoying responses I've gotten are....

"Is that safe?"

"Don't go blind!"

Here's how I'd answer:

1. Much safer than driving to work.

2. But then I get to wear cool shades like Stevie Wonder

SteveHeff said:
I don't like how some people think that just because you homebrew, you're always willing to give some away. I brew beer that I like to drink. I certainly don't mind sharing, but you have to throw something my way every now and then. A few dollars every 12 pack or so would help with the time and money involved in the whole process. If you borrow a friend's truck to move some furniture, you make sure to fill the tank before you're done. Just the way I think it should be.

Totally agree! My rules about drinking my beer (if you don't live in my house, aka: SWMBO):

1: You can drink while we brew so long as you help with some of the heavy lifting/stirring.
2: If someone shows up unplanned/calls at my house and says hey man wanna have a drink, I say sure and meet them at the gastropub.
3: If I invite them over, you best be bringing food because I am providing a location AND awesome beer. By "awesome beer" I mean fresh, real ales, that happen to taste at least decent in comparison to their respective commercial examples and whole hell of a lot better than BMC.
4: If you ask for something BMC, I say sure. I grab an IPA and a cup of water. I hand you the water and I drink the IPA.
5: If you are a fellow home brewer then lets just sample each other's beers. Bottle for a bottle.

Back in Louisiana I would frequently hear the "why don't you just buy it?" comment to which I would answer, "Because they don't sell what I want." (Craft beer in north central LA was non-existent.) And they say, "Oh you like that dark stuff huh?" "I can make any beer 'dark.' Ever hear of food coloring?"

I find people fall into three categories when they hear I homebrew:
1. The ignorant - still, make bud light, sick, anything else just plain stupid, I tried it once, etc
ANSWER - none.....why waste my time
2. The false interest - Why
ANSWER - because I like to...and maybe they move to the next level :)
3. The curious - How long does it take, how do you do it, what kinds?
ANSWER - a brief synopsis of the process...get a bunch of grain, grind it, mix it with water at a certain temperature for a certain time and then boil the liquid and add some hops and then add yeast and let it turn to beer....about 5-6 hours and then wait a few weeks......many kinds.

I' m just the opposite drink up as long as your not driving or puking I host brew parties all the time can always find something to suit most plates

image-2604517988.jpg

3. The curious - How long does it take, how do you do it, what kinds?
ANSWER - a brief synopsis of the process...get a bunch of grain, grind it, mix it with water at a certain temperature for a certain time and then boil the liquid and add some hops and then add yeast and let it turn to beer....about 5-6 hours and then wait a few weeks......many kinds.

These are the best, but if you tell them too much at once, you can blow thier minds:cross:

These are the best, but if you tell them too much at once, you can blow thier minds:cross:

Agreed, I usually start off with a disclaimer (Do you have 15 mins if not I say this "Water, Grains, Hops, Yeast and wait" if they do) I go until I can see their eyes gloss over then I say here have a homebrew.

That's the answer I give...takes less than a minute...if they are interested they ask more.
I'm no preacher...nor do I advocate everyone brew....but I will talk incessantly about it if asked:ban:

I dunno. At a party I ask someone what they like to do and they say "I like to crossfit/hunt/motorcross/cosplay/civil war renact/ultimate frisbee/whatever" *my* responses aren't all that interesting, interested, or sincere so why should I expect them to have interesting, interested or sincere comments.

I dunno. At a party I ask someone what they like to do and they say "I like to crossfit/hunt/motorcross/cosplay/civil war renact/ultimate frisbee/whatever" *my* responses aren't all that interesting, interested, or sincere so why should I expect them to have interesting, interested or sincere comments.

Because we are an elitist, arrogant bunch of beer snobs. And damnit, everyone should know how important we really are : drunk: I hope the sarcasm is a obvious, but there are some out there that feel this way. I go for the grain, water, hops, yeast talk and continue if there are questions. Its too easy to ramble about this hobby... lots of details... lots of fun (for us), etc. My favorite is people at work want to come help... Ok, plan for 6 hours, lots of down time and being in my garage the whole time. What sucks is when I'm trying to persuade the" nah" response, and get the" When's the next brew day!"response.

It annoyed the crap outta me at the time, but now it's not so bad...

"Dude, this is like watching water boil" ... - brother in law.
:facepalm: that's because we are at the 90 minute boil part in the directions, numbnuts !

What's funny is he was totally stoked about grinding the grains, controlling the mash, being in total control of all the directions, ingredients, and schedules, choosing the tunes, and drinking all my beer. As soon as it was at the boil and the hops additions were done, he totally lost interest.

That is, until fermentation, lagering and bottling were done. Now he can't stop talking about "his beer." sometimes it's fun to let someone have all the control in a brew day to see how proud they are of the end result.

I'm slowly chipping away at getting him to get his own setup going (or at least contributing to buying grain and hops:))

Back