Making Traditional rice Wine. Cheap, Fun, and Different

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyway I digress... I know people have been making it with jasmine, but it never appealed to me because that's just dinner to me. The sticky rice made more sense because of the sugar content.
I'm 1 week into my first batches. I had to find yeast balls and when I did I bought some Sushi Rice as well. I have plenty of Jasmine at home already. I made the Sushi rice batch first (on the right) and the Jasmine the following day (on the left). Seeing a good amount of liquid now, just a few more weeks to go. I look forward to comparing the tastes.

WFUOpwM.jpg

Apple cinnamon sounds pretty dang awesome.

Has anyone dry hopped this stuff yet?..or maybe cooking hops into the rice??...im not savvy on hops, but arent there some that are very floral, and not so bitter? I got a batch of the Sake goin where I cooked the rice with vanilla and coconut...idk how it will be though.....fresh banana or strawberry cooked into the rice, might be worth a shot?? pumpkin?? haha...but seriously...pumpkin maybe?
Interesting thought on the hops. I've got some fuggle that I don't have any specific plans for. I might pull some from the next batch of red rice wine and try dry hopping.

I'm not sure how to handle a banana addition. If it's cooked it's likely to turn to goo. If it isn't, it will probably turn black. Maybe dice and hit it with a lemon juice solution to stop the oxidation. Then add finished rice wine to it?

Strawberries really have two distinct flavor profiles, depending on if they have been cooked or not. I've occasionally seen canned cooked strawberries. That, or maybe even some strawberry jam, would give you a good idea of what the cooked strawberry flavor would be.

For the fresh flavor, I'd get some frozen strawberries and add them to the wine once it was finished. After a week or so they should have given up most of there flavor and could be removed. If you want to encourage the juice extraction, toss them with some sugar and let them sit in the fridge overnight before they go in with the wine.

I really have got to try the frozen strawberry thing. I've got some, and a large batch of red rice wine that should be finishing this weekend.:mug:

I never tried with the jasmine. At home we always eat jasmine rice with dinner and the sticky rice is used for dessert. My family's always made the dessert with this stuff, letting sit for up to a week and topping with sesame seeds and sweetened coconut milk or coconut cream. If I only made the connection sooner...

Anyway I digress... I know people have been making it with jasmine, but it never appealed to me because that's just dinner to me. The sticky rice made more sense because of the sugar content.

Interesting. The dessert sounds pretty good too.

I'm only on page 76 of who knows how many. :D That being said, I had a hair-brained idea. I went to Amazon and they had bulk red yeast rice powder in sealed packages. I'm not sure if that's "extract" or raw powder. Didn't find any regular yeast balls, so I went to google shopping and after poking around there, I found the magic phrase to search is rice yeast ball The first four hits look to be what we are looking for. Granted two are on eBay and the other two are for the same store, but who knows... the eBay seller could be a regular seller there. :D The eBay seller seems, at a glance, to be a regular seller and regularly has combo of red yeast rice and dried yeast rice "for rice wine."
Also posharpstore.com has two different kinds of "sweet rice yeast" for making "fermented rice porridge." I'm thinking that it's probably the same thing we would want for making rice wine, except they aren't selling it that way.

Served my latest batch (1.5L yeild from 6-cups dry rice) at the local homebrew festival a while back. 1L was straight rice wine, 0.5L had some condensed pomegranate added.

I came back home with maybe 3 oz total left over.

Huge success. People kept calling it sake... had a hard time explaining that it wasn't sake...

I'm only on page 76 of who knows how many. :D That being said, I had a hair-brained idea. I went to Amazon and they had bulk red yeast rice powder in sealed packages. I'm not sure if that's "extract" or raw powder. Didn't find any regular yeast balls, so I went to google shopping and after poking around there, I found the magic phrase to search is rice yeast ball The first four hits look to be what we are looking for. Granted two are on eBay and the other two are for the same store, but who knows... the eBay seller could be a regular seller there. :D The eBay seller seems, at a glance, to be a regular seller and regularly has combo of red yeast rice and dried yeast rice "for rice wine."
Also posharpstore.com has two different kinds of "sweet rice yeast" for making "fermented rice porridge." I'm thinking that it's probably the same thing we would want for making rice wine, except they aren't selling it that way.

If you keep reading, you will find that the ebay seller posts in this thread and that you can use sweet rice, but jasmine is preferred by most.

Served my latest batch (1.5L yeild from 6-cups dry rice) at the local homebrew festival a while back. 1L was straight rice wine, 0.5L had some condensed pomegranate added.

I came back home with maybe 3 oz total left over.

Huge success. People kept calling it sake... had a hard time explaining that it wasn't sake...

I did the same thing and the beer people couldn't keep their hands off of it.

What about the "bulk red yeast rice" that Amazon has? Haven't seen any comments on that... Currently on page 106, so about half-way through. :D

Thinking I may try to buy some of that and see if it's bulk yeast or if it's bulk "extract"

Here's what I found.. listed as "bulk red yeast rice powder"

What about the "bulk red yeast rice" that Amazon has? Haven't seen any comments on that... Currently on page 106, so about half-way through. :D

Thinking I may try to buy some of that and see if it's bulk yeast or if it's bulk "extract"

Here's what I found.. listed as "bulk red yeast rice powder"

I believe Arpolis has used the supplement before...and then he loved the price at Asian365 store.

You are correct...I've been selling on eBay as a regular for a while. In addition to just the yeast balls and the Red Yeast Rice combo, I've also listed Angel Rice Leaven and sold quite a bit. Since I ship in the flat rate boxes, I've found that it's easier for me and cheaper than other online stores. I'm open to suggestions as well. Anyone reading this with other combo ideas, let me know and I'll create them and list them.

While at the market I came across Dried Red Sweet Rice...sounds like a great experiment ingredient. Anyone else see this or try it? I put a picture of it in the next post.

ForumRunner_20130518_201942.jpg
Looks like I may have to make a batch but not sure if this is an add in or main rice to use...

View attachment 122894
Looks like I may have to make a batch but not sure if this is an add in or main rice to use...
Probably an add it. It's hard to tell from the picture, but I'm thinking you would have trouble getting access to the starch with that kind of rice. I ran a batch with brown rice, it was an utter failure. It didn't produce any useful amount of liquid. I don't think the mold was able to get to the starch inside the rice.

This recipe sounded ridiculously easy (just my style), so I thought I would try it. Went on the search for yeast balls and sticky/sushi/jasmine rice at the local Asian markets. I'm fortunate to have a large Asian population in nearby towns, so that means several stores to choose from. I found the yeast balls (large and small bags). But I couldn't find sushi/sticky rice. Little did I know this was aka glutinous rice! Doh!

Anyway, came back home and debated on using the regular ole' long grain rice. I loosely understand why this rice may not ferment on it's own. So I soaked the 6 cups of rice for an hour, brought some water to a boil, added two cups of sugar to that and let it boil for a few minutes. I then added my rice and waited until the water was absorbed. I'm going to let it cool over night and then add it to my fermentation jar with the crushed yeast balls. From my experience, the mixing of sugar and yeast will create something, even if it's only a mildly alcoholic sweet rice goo. I'll try to keep you posted.

This recipe sounded ridiculously easy (just my style), so I thought I would try it. Went on the search for yeast balls and sticky/sushi/jasmine rice at the local Asian markets. I'm fortunate to have a large Asian population in nearby towns, so that means several stores to choose from. I found the yeast balls (large and small bags). But I couldn't find sushi/sticky rice. Little did I know this was aka glutinous rice! Doh!

Anyway, came back home and debated on using the regular ole' long grain rice. I loosely understand why this rice may not ferment on it's own. So I soaked the 6 cups of rice for an hour, brought some water to a boil, added two cups of sugar to that and let it boil for a few minutes. I then added my rice and waited until the water was absorbed. I'm going to let it cool over night and then add it to my fermentation jar with the crushed yeast balls. From my experience, the mixing of sugar and yeast will create something, even if it's only a mildly alcoholic sweet rice goo. I'll try to keep you posted.
Oh I think you will get something alcoholic. The yield from the long grain rice isn't zero, it just isn't very good.

I'm a little concerned that your alcohol content might rise so abruptly that you will actually retard the growth of the fungus that produces the enzymes you are going to need to break down the rice starch though.

Another possible concern is that you may have increased your probability of infection with the sugar so readily available. I would suggest powdering the rice yeast balls and tossing them with the cooled rice so practically all the kernels have some rice yeast ball powder on them. Using this method I have not had another infected batch.

Good luck, and let us know how things go. :mug:

Thanks for the advice Leadgolem. I didn't see your post before I put it in the fermenter this AM, so I used the rice/yeast/rice layer method, even though it would have been almost as easy to make balls because it was SO sticky! I grossly underestimated the volume of six cups of cooked rice and had to resort to a bucket for fermentation. Lessons learned so far:
1)Glutinous (as in glue like) rice is the same as sticky/sushi rice and does not contain wheat gluten (my dumb self thought "why would they add gluten to rice?" which I am sensitive to. Dumb mistake #1) Next time I will buy 5lbs and make a bigger batch.
2) Six cups of rice + 12 cups of water = a boat load of rice. Use bigger pot next time!
3) It's really fun taking cheap ingredients and turning them into booze. So if it turns into moldy pickled booze slop, I'm out less than $5. And my pig will be really happy! :drunk:

I'll keep you posted.

2) Six cups of rice + 12 cups of water = a boat load of rice. Use bigger pot next time!
That's a lot of water for 6 cups of rice. ;) I've dropped down to 1.25 to 1 personally seems to be the spot I like the best. I think most of the others I read go anywhere between 1:1 and 1.5:1. If memory serves (I've never went above 1.5:1) the higher the water the more tart/sour you get but my memory may be a little rusty. And just to clarify, I'm not trying to naysay on your process, merely pointing out if you don't like the results, you can drop the water to produce a sweeter result. Like you said, it's only $5/batch. :)

And just to clarify, I'm not trying to naysay on your process
No worries, and thanks for the advice. I guess that's why people are using the shorter cook times that I've seen on here. Mine had to cook for 20+ mins for all of the water to be gone.

I just went to Amazon and picked up a 10cup fuzzy logic rice cooker. My wife was pissy about the whole purchase but I went with a more featured model after about a month or so of scavenging and she's been happier with it every time it gets used. For no more than the ~$75 I paid for it I'd say I should have gotten my money's worth very soon at the current rate. The water ratio it advises is also quite small. It can't be more than 1.5:1 if following the instructions. For eating though I like spiking it with just a hair more water than it asks for though.

Agreed, I started making rice at a 2:1 water rice ratio and got a very tart/sour result. Although still good with a fruit backsweetening. I've since started using 1.25 cups of water for each cup of rice and I get the same yield when harvesting but a much sweeter product. Something I can drink as is.

I'm very tempted to buy a rice cooker...I can already feel the dirty looks from my wife.

Well, FWIW, I found you can get some of the Panasonic models for relatively cheap and while they may not be as fancy as some of the others, they seem to command modest respect (and fantastic reviews). I got a damaged box Panasonic MS-183 (10 cup) model for $75 to my door. I'm not really clear on how the steamed rice function (I assume sticky rice are expected to be steamed since you can't make it any other way that I know of) works but I've yet to burn any on the bottom of the pot. It's sickeningly user friendly and the slow cooker side of it is what's swaying my wife to it's praise. Using the steamer portion of it has been quite useful as well. The only gripe I'd have is I can't see any good reason they shouldn't be dishwasher safe but all the instructions seem to be terrified of running the pieces (other than the base obviously) through the dishwasher.

Hi all, so I've read about 40 pages of this thread and I was just wondering if someone could help me out with a summary of best practices for making this stuff. Are people going off the original recipe in the first few posts? I like the look of saramc's red batch in the earlier pages.

So could we get a Page 195 summary of best recipe/practice? Thanks

So one of my co-workers is Chinese (yes... he's from Mainland China) and I asked him this morning about this. He knew what I said when I talked about "Goku" and rice wine... but he also said that he thought it should be the "sticky"/glutinous rice. He also said he thought it needed more than just the yeast. We shall see what he says when I bring a small sample to him. :rockin:

His grandmother used to make it, but he says back home no one makes this stuff any more... don't know if the government "frowns" upon making/drinking alcohol or what.

One more thing... I went to my local Wal-Mart at lunch and picked up a 2 Gallon glass container with a glass jar (has a small bit that sits vertically inside the jar and a lip that sits on the rim) for about $11 including tax. Just thought I'd pass that along to anyone looking for a fermenting jar. I may try some white tulle, or maybe a brand new cloth diaper (can you still get cloth diapers???) I know growing up we had dairy goats and my dad made goat cheese, and used a cloth diaper to separate the whey from the curds so I figure it'd work for this. :D

Yes, it is where I got mine.

For all you guys griping about dirty looks from the wife....take that woman out to dinner, bring her a bundle of flowers, get her a lovey dovey card and write something sappy.... do something just because. I promise she will not give you the look so often.

Hi all, so I've read about 40 pages of this thread and I was just wondering if someone could help me out with a summary of best practices for making this stuff. Are people going off the original recipe in the first few posts? I like the look of saramc's red batch in the earlier pages.

Why thank you. My process remains the same except I now use 1 cup rice and 1.25 cups water, 2-10gm balls per kilo of rice. And I now add varying amounts of RYR, rebel that I am.

Hey...anyone out there have access to the small yeast balls? I would love some. Just not available here. Can outright pay you or send you some large 10-gram yeast balls and/or RYR. I think I can even find some 10-gram yeast balls from Vietnam. Message me if you can help, please. Thank you in advance!!

Finally found a place semi-local that carries the dried yeast balls. A little Laotian lady runs an Asian grocery about 30 minutes away from me in the nearest "big city." I looked all around and didn't see anything so I asked. She barely understood, but her (grand daughter?) was there and she told her what I was looking for... she walked over to a giant plastic screw-top jar with a couple dozen packages of these (attached)

yeastballs.jpg

Newsman said:
Finally found a place semi-local that carries the dried yeast balls. A little Laotian lady runs an Asian grocery about 30 minutes away from me in the nearest "big city." I looked all around and didn't see anything so I asked. She barely understood, but her (grand daughter?) was there and she told her what I was looking for... she walked over to a giant plastic screw-top jar with a couple dozen packages of these (attached)

Looks just like the ones I bought this weekend.

Why thank you. My process remains the same except I now use 1 cup rice and 1.25 cups water, 2-10gm balls per kilo of rice. And I now add varying amounts of RYR, rebel that I am.

You soak a cup of dry rice in water, drain and rinse. Then you cook that in 1.25 cups water? I guess I'm hung up on the measurements. I can't tell if the "1 cup" is for dry rice or after it's been soaked. :drunk:

You soak a cup of dry rice in water, drain and rinse. Then you cook that in 1.25 cups water? I guess I'm hung up on the measurements. I can't tell if the "1 cup" is for dry rice or after it's been soaked. :drunk:

Yes 1 cup dry rice cooked in 1.25 cups of water.

Sara's is the route I use presently to great effect. It seems to scale up infinitely. And has also been stated above, any vessel will work but Wal-Mart has some good glass options for $10ish in the 2 gallon or smaller range.

Rather than cheesecloth you can also use an old white (although any color cotton would probably work) T-Shirt over the top and it works just as well if not better.

And for straining I've switched to paint bag lined out with mesh to keep it from getting clogged quite as easily. Others use cheesecloth. I don't think it really matters so use whatever you'd prefer. Just remember, RRY stains. ;)

1 cup dry rice soaked in water until volume increases by 1/4-1/3, rinse til runs clear, then prepare using 1.25 cups water. It gives a better yield than dry unsoaked and I found both to be just as sweet and tasty.

Cool thanks for that. I'm in the process of moving this week but once we get settled in the new place I will be working on this for sure.:mug:

I found another brand of yeast balls that I'm going to try out this evening. I'm going to make it with the jasmine rice. I would like to try it with the sushi rice as well but I only have 1 jar left. I'll try the sushi rice next time if it tastes good with the jasmine.

9318icx.jpg

I found another brand of yeast balls that I'm going to try out this evening. I'm going to make it with the jasmine rice. I would like to try it with the sushi rice as well but I only have 1 jar left. I'll try the sushi rice next time if it tastes good with the jasmine.

9318icx.jpg

Those are the ones I've been using, but I've been using sweet rice. Only harvested two batches so far, but both were tasty. I plan on trying some of the happy panda yeast balls next.

Latest posts

Back