Lutra Kveik and Diacetyl

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JodasTheBeerMaker

Reaction score
So I am a newer homebrewer. I don't have temp control and have been really excited about Kviek yeasts for this reason. I have used Voss on a Black IPA and an Amber ale with ZERO issues with diacetyl. I have just recently went thru 2 batches of a Golden/Blonde Ale using Lutra. My temps in the ferm room range from 68-72 on both occasions. Pitching at 85-90. My experience has been dealing with Diacetyl. I have debated after the second time that even tho I hit final gravity, maybe I should go ahead and let it ride for 2 weeks like I would any other yeast. I looked around the forum and haven't found too much info. I feel that even tho this yeast can reach gravity in 3 days. It may be best to wait like 10 days to let it clean up and drop out. In the keg by week 2 it is clear as a Kolsch which is why I think just holding out the 2 weeks could be benificial. Any experiences with this? I'm on my third batch (same recipe) but making a switch to HotHead to see if I have the same issue. Hard to say If I like Lutra or not. I do because of how clear the beer is and despite the diacetyl has a lot of potential. I don't due to the repetitive Diacetyl.

The only Kveik beers that I tap at 11-15 days are very hoppy ales, with all other styles I do the 3 week primary and keg(it's good to have a pipe line). No diacetyl in any of them that I can detect and I'm super sensitive to it, can't stand the smell at the movies.

Back