Just tasted my first mead at transfer.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SatiricalPuma

Reaction score
Batch 1:

1 gallon batch
3.2 lbs wildflower honey (scaled down from 16 lbs in 5 gal batch)
OG = 1.127
FG = 1.000
Lavlin 71b, staggered GoFerm/Fermaid K additions

Batch 2:

1 gallon batch
2.6 lbs wildflower honey (scaled down from 12 lbs in 5 gal batch)
OG = 1.095
FG = 0.995
Lavlin 71b, staggered GoFerm/Fermaid K additions

I just transferred 4 1-gallon batches of mead to secondary, 2 of which (described above) tasted very flat and lifeless (tasted my sample for SG reading). The other two had higher FGs of 1.030 and 1.040 due to higher OGs (one was a cyser, the other used more honey) and they tasted wonderful upon transfer.

These are my first batches, so perhaps this is a n00b question but do dry meads typically taste particularly strange early? I know I shouldn't expect the mead to taste anywhere close the finished product so early but can someone describe generally what I should expect the mead to taste like at this point? I wouldnt quite describe these batches as carboardy but the taste is close enough that it has me thinking about oxidation.

Thanks!

Yes, dry meads can often seem very weird.......

The old "personal perception" view doesn't help. We've known since childhood that honey is lovely and sweet so aren't mentally prepared for how it migbt taste once the sugars have fermented. .....

Don't worry, just go with it. It comes good and after some ageing its like drinking a different liquid.......

Ok, sounds like I shouldn't be worrying at all yet. I'll thief some around Christmas and see how it's progressing.

Back