Help with peach mead recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crash3d

Reaction score
I am looking at doing a peach mead, but I think I may have some of my proportions in my recipe wrong. Looking for a little bit of help here. I'd like it to be semi sweet with the option to bump it a bit further with back sweetening if needed. I have loads of frozen peaches from our family tree. I have never worked with fruit, so this is more or less starting with a standard mead recipe and adding in the fruit.

5 gallon batch

-18lbs of honey
-2 packs of 71B rehydrated with 12g of GoFerm Protect
-Fermaid O staggered nutrient additions
-10lbs of peaches in the primary

-stabilize
-15lbs of peaches in the secondary
-bourbon soaked oak cubes in secondary

Am I missing something here that I haven't thought about? Honestly I have a level of ignorance with the fruiting in mead. I have done it in beer, but that is a different beast.

Having worked with peaches in past recipes, I have learned peaches are light in flavor contributed & can easily take 6 lbs/gallon to achieve a strong peach flavor, more if you're anything like me. However, 30 lbs of peaches takes up considerable room in any fermentor, which should be taken into account when building your batch.
I personally add my fruits like you plan to, 1/3 the total fruit weight in primary & the other 2/3 in secondary. It gives nice wine properties while getting the fruit flavors from secondary.
As far as your recipe goes, it looks pretty good.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Having worked with peaches in past recipes, I have learned peaches are light in flavor contributed & can easily take 6 lbs/gallon to achieve a strong peach flavor, more if you're anything like me. However, 30 lbs of peaches takes up considerable room in any fermentor, which should be taken into account when building your batch.
I personally add my fruits like you plan to, 1/3 the total fruit weight in primary & the other 2/3 in secondary. It gives nice wine properties while getting the fruit flavors from secondary.
As far as your recipe goes, it looks pretty good.
I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

I have a conical fermenter with temperature control and a glycol chiller. I was thinking of doing the mead in there to keep temp perfect. That should have the room for the fruit, and I might even be able to drop it out of the bottom under a bit of pressure when it has been in there long enough.

I have a conical fermenter with temperature control and a glycol chiller. I was thinking of doing the mead in there to keep temp perfect. That should have the room for the fruit, and I might even be able to drop it out of the bottom under a bit of pressure when it has been in there long enough.
I recommend using a brew bag for fruit additions. I find the clean-up way easier & less gunk in the hose when racking & they reduce racking losses.
Also, if you didn't know already, steer clear of using purees in mead. They tend to make the clearing stage take forever. Stick with cut, frozen thawed fruit, no stones, (pits) & be sure to use pectic enzyme @ least an hour or two before adding it to your must.
Also, when you add your fruit to secondary, you'll have to double up the amount of pectic enzyme used as the presence of alcohol inhibits the effects of the enzymes.
Work smarter, not harder😉
On the off chance you don't have any brew bags, here's where you can find some larger size bags.
Bellamei Brew Bags Extra Large Reusable 2 Pack 250 Micron Fine Mesh Bag for Fruit Cider Apple Grape Wine Press Drawstring Straining Brew in a Bag (2 pack-22"×26") https://a.co/d/2hLP1FM

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Latest posts

Back