Newbie to mead - question on yeast nutrients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MapleGroveAleworks

Reaction score
Hi all - dabbling into mead making. I am following the TOSNA method for my nutrients and had a question on the calculator.

1708349271118.png

This is a 1 gallon mead @ 1.088 OG.

I have a question.

1. Why does it say 3.8g total nutrient needed? Where does that come from? I see 4 additions of 1g ea of Fermaid O - which is already above 3.8g.

I am confused on the order to add everything. I presume the order of operations is -

Add honey
Add 1.3g go-ferm diluted in water
Add 1g Fermaid-O
Add up and shake water to make 1 gallon

Then pitch yeast
Then add 3 more staggered additions of 1g of Fermaid-O?

If I'm missing anything I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks all.

1. Why does it say 3.8g total nutrient needed? Where does that come from? I see 4 additions of 1g ea of Fermaid O - which is already above 3.8g.

3.8/4 = .95 rounds to 1.0

I am confused on the order to add everything. I presume the order of operations is -

In a small vessel, mix the Go-Ferm into the 26ml of warm water. Let that cool down to proper yeast rehydration temp ~95-100°F.

While above is cooling, in your fermenter, mix honey and 1g Fermaid-O into some water.

After ~10m rehydration, add some must to the yeast slurry a few spoonfuls at a time so the slurry slowly comes to the same temp as must. Pitch slurry. Top up to 1G.

Maintain fermentation temp at lower end of published temp range for given yeast.

I typically don't measure gravity during fermentation. I just add the staggered additions at 24, 48, 72hrs.

3.8/4 = .95 rounds to 1.0

In a small vessel, mix the Go-Ferm into the 26ml of warm water. Let that cool down to proper yeast rehydration temp ~95-100°F.

While above is cooling, in your fermenter, mix honey and 1g Fermaid-O into some water.

After ~10m rehydration, add some must to the yeast slurry a few spoonfuls at a time so the slurry slowly comes to the same temp as must. Pitch slurry. Top up to 1G.

Maintain fermentation temp at lower end of published temp range for given yeast.

I typically don't measure gravity during fermentation. I just add the staggered additions at 24, 48, 72hrs.
Thanks a bunch. I'm looking forward to getting started.

I would like to use Tosna or some other tailored nutrient schedule, but my nutrients don't have available YAN values, even though the organic yeast nute has probably the same value of YAN as Fermaid O. I use Tosna as a guideline to estimate the amount of nutrients I need with the assumption that my organic nutrient is half the strength of the inorganic, similar to Fermaid O/K in the calculator. So, if the calculator says to use 10 grams of Fermaid O, I might use 5 grams of organic and 3 grams of the inorganic.

Back