Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These came in the mail today. Can't freaking wait. And they finally added a craft beer tent. No more warm Heineken or Newcastle. 1394077570687.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

I'm thinking of hitting up Forecastle in Louisville this summer to catch one of my all time favorite bands, The Replacements. Went 2 years ago when My Morning Jacket and Wilco were headliners and had a blast!

Overall, the lineup doesn't seem as strong as two years ago, but it's still pretty good...

Overall, the lineup doesn't seem as strong as two years ago, but it's still pretty good...

I'm feeling this way about all the lineups I've seen, both US and European. Everything has been good, but not WOW like 2013. I still can't wait for Coachella. Since there aren't as many must-see bands this year, I'll have more time for the great food and the new CRAFT BEER TENT! And there are still plenty of bands I'm pretty fired up for.

he's not really Indie but the newest Beck album is so so so good - Sea Change was one of my favorite albums so really happy to see him do something in the same vein

he's not really Indie but the newest Beck album is so so so good - Sea Change was one of my favorite albums so really happy to see him do something in the same vein

Really looking forward to seeing Beck. Midnight Vultures front to back would be amazing, but I've heard he isn't as wild and crazy as he once was due to some health issues.

Not gonna lie...I never liked any of his stuff after he broke through with 'Loser', but I really enjoyed Modern Guilt. That album was phenomenal.

just got free tickets to Russian Circles tonight! Last time they were in town the show sold out before we got there and my buddy and I had our own listening party outside the load in door. Really excited to actually see the band tonight

Oh this is a good album. I really like it too.

"Indie" is all relative anyway, right? ;)

Anyone else digging the new MGMT?
I'm really looking forward to the new upcoming Afghan Wigs and Pink Mountaintops.
N.I.N. is giving me a boner.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Home Brew mobile app

Forecastle 2014. Wow. Nothing could beat last year...(could it???)..but this years lineup is insane.

Google it or I will link later.

Forecastle 2014. Wow. Nothing could beat last year...(could it???)..but this years lineup is insane.

Google it or I will link later.

IMO, the lineup 2 years ago for Forecastle was insane. Of course, MMJ and Wilco are two of my favorite bands so having both of them headlining didn't hurt. :rockin:

I do like this year's lineup overall better than last year and having The Replacements in the lineup makes it intriguing to me, but I just don't see an hour set from the Mats as enough to make me want to pull the trigger on going to the Ville for Forecastle...

Personally, the festival I'm leaning towards going to right now is Mountain Jam to see Chris Robinson Brotherhood...

I've gone back to the well...binging on American Analog Set lately. What an amazing band.

[ame]http://youtu.be/yGO2x7WT_i4[/ame]

One of my favorite bands. Absolutely loved their first 3 albums. Enjoy them all, but those are the ones I go back to.

Have you picked up both Wooden Birds albums? If you haven't, check them out. They're really really good.

The new Liars album is freaking awesome. Definitely more on
the electro side, and guaranteed to make you shake your booty. These guys just keep getting better and better.

Wonder if the OP is still around, cause the new War on Drugs album is so good... I've planned a trip to see them in Denver!

Been diggin' the 80's vibe lately too, with Dum Dum Girls and Chvrches among others.

I just ran across this thread.
My favorite station is KEXP in Seattle. Where the Music Matters. It is listener suported radio with basically no commercials and the best DJ's. John in the Morning M-F 6-10 and Sheryl Waters for The Midday Show M-F 10-2. They play all the best new and old independent music. I now stream online kexp.org, since I do not live there any more. They have hundreds of in studio live shows, free songs of the day, and other podcasts that you can download. Honestly, one of the best independent music resources out there. Better than KCRW. And, No, I do not work for them.
Usually, I lurk, but this I had to share.

I just ran across this thread.
My favorite station is KEXP in Seattle. Where the Music Matters. It is listener suported radio with basically no commercials and the best DJ's. John in the Morning M-F 6-10 and Sheryl Waters for The Midday Show M-F 10-2. They play all the best new and old independent music. I now stream online kexp.org, since I do not live there any more. They have hundreds of in studio live shows, free songs of the day, and other podcasts that you can download. Honestly, one of the best independent music resources out there. Better than KCRW. And, No, I do not work for them.
Usually, I lurk, but this I had to share.

WFPK is here. Same thing, only it is 24 hours a day. Not sure but yours sounds likle a shared station (music and news).

Waterfront wednesday is their baby, Old 97's put on an awesome free show at the last one, Shovels and rope slated for the end of this month. It is getting too popular, but for free, it is hard to complain!

Hear a new life changing band on there EVERY FREAKING DAY. There is just too much good new music going on.

End of the year list anyone?

Here is my top 3:

1. The War on Drugs "Lost in the Dream"

This album, by far and away, got spun the most by me this year. I listened to it a dozen times on Spotify, bought the CD, and then bought the vinyl. I still can't stop listening to it. It's a rare thing for me to have to force myself to give an album a rest for a while for fear of burning out on it (or, more likely, burning my wife and everyone around me out on it.) I don't know what it is about it. At first, being a child of the 80's, I thought it was pure nostalgia but it is clear now that it is much more than that. It is just a perfect album for me and one that I'll listen to forever.

2. Sun Kil Moon "Benji"

Like a free writing exercise set to music, a snap shot of a chunk of Mark Kozelek's life. I just try to block out the fact that he went full on ****** bag the last half of the year and spent his days childishly attacking The War on Drugs over and over again because they were playing too loud at a festival he was performing at. Here's to making your greatest album, you prick. (BTW, I really enjoyed your Christmas album too, dickhead)

3. Sturgill Simpson "Metamodern Sounds in Country Music"

This album simultaneously reminds me of all the things that I love about country music and everything I hate about country music radio. Call it alt, outlaw, old school, whatever you want. This is just a great album top to bottom. There just isn't enough mention of going to the club or cowboy "bling" to get so much as a sniff from the mainstream country machine. If you can find a lyric as cool as: "There's a gateway in our minds that leads somewhere out there far beyond this plane. Where reptile aliens made of light cut you open and pull out all your pain." anywhere in the mass produced garbage that passes for country music nowadays, I'll kiss your ass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I did not see this reply till years later. Sorry!
KEXP is not a shared station and only has news on the weekend mornings from 6-9. There motto is: "Where the Music Matters". They were the UW college radio station (KCMU) that went "profession". Curt Cobain dropped off his demo tape here and the rest was history.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KEXP-FM

Another great station is WYEP - also, where the music matters - in Pittsburgh. Concur with many of these - Wilco, SunVolt, etc.

Also, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson (great cover of Nirvana's In Bloom), Courtney Barnett...

Latest posts

Back