Indie Music Lovers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Decemberists - Rake's Song...so dark, but so AMAZING!!! It has been a while since I've listened to this one.

How do we add videos here? This thread would benefit with some videos.

EDIT: I think I figured it out. On YouTube, click Share then Embed and copy and paste the code. Sweet!

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ULSKZ7IP930" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

How do we add videos here? This thread would benefit with some videos.

When you are on youtube, there is a 'Share' link below the video. Click on the 'Share' link and you will see a highlighted http address. Copy that address and then paste it in your post and that should get your video to post.

Oops, nm. I see you figured it out! :mug:

More videos sounds good to me. Here's one of my favorites. Nice and chill for a Wednesday morning.

[ame]http://youtu.be/JLL1DDST23I[/ame]

Decemberists are AMAZING!!!!! From Crane Wife to Mariner's song their storytelling, theatrical bad assery is unrivaled. Josh Ritter's THE CURSE comes to mind, but is an isolated bit of genius, the Decemberists crank it out.

The Decemberists are one of my favorite bands! I had the good fortune to see them twice, once for Her Majesty the Decemberists and once for Picaresque. Some of the best shows ever!

Hazards of Love is an opus- you must really read the lyrics. I love mythology and it's an awesome story. The album verges on Styx sometimes, ha.

I read the Hazards of Love was written as a musical originally, but re-worked into an album. I would absolutely see a theatrical performance of it!

I saw The Decemberists live in Chicago about 2 years ago and they were amazing. There is a side project of the band called Black Prairie (Fronted by Jenny, the violin player) that we saw last winter as well. Very good stuff also.

I read the Hazards of Love was written as a musical originally, but re-worked into an album. I would absolutely see a theatrical performance of it!

I saw The Decemberists live in Chicago about 2 years ago and they were amazing. There is a side project of the band called Black Prairie (Fronted by Jenny, the violin player) that we saw last winter as well. Very good stuff also.

Oh, I didn't know about Black Prairie. I'll check them out!

That makes sense about the the musical. Speaking of albums that were meant to be musicals, did you ever hear Dead Man's Bones? It's Ryan Gosling's band, and honestly I didn't care about him TILL I heard it, then I became a fan of his like every other chick I guess ;)

Sure! When are you sending me some tickets? ;) And airfare, I'll need that too. :eek:

LOL...wish I could help you out! Our tickets and place to stay were covered the first year we went and now we are hooked.

It has been a little quiet in here for the past week, so here is some new Hot Chip for your enjoyment! The new QOTSA will be out tomorrow, but is streaming on iTunes free today so check it out too.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J4f2el1M-Pw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
My buddy turned me onto William Elliot Whitmore, I've been listening for a couple days now and really liking him. I don't remember if he's been mentioned but he's worth checking out.

I grew up with Will (as we called him). He and I were great friends in Jr. High and High School and I've seen him live in Orlando a few years ago, we caught up before and after the show. He was always destined for greater things than most of us were, he just thought bigger, different than most. I'm so glad to see him have success because he's truly a great guy. You'll notice he takes pride in Lee County Iowa because that's where he's from, while others would like to forget they grew up in the middle of nowhere, so to speak.

I hope I get a chance to see Will live again soon because he's excellent on stage. There's nothing fake or contrived about his performances whatsoever, and the audience feels that.

Anyway, if anyone sees him live, mention Travis Faaborg (FAH-borg). He'll know me. Tell him not to type bad words on the school library computer...he'll get it.

Holy cow!!! Nine Inch Nails just tweeted that Explosions in the Sky AND Godspeed, You Black Emperor will be joining them for their fall tour. I wonder if that means for all dates. I would be pretty happy with either, but to have both WITH NIN at the same show would be pretty mindblowing. I really hope that is how it goes down. Just checked EITS and Godspeed sites and don't see any dates yet.

Geez...I'm downright giddy with excitement right now.

Holy cow!!! Nine Inch Nails just tweeted that Explosions in the Sky AND Godspeed, You Black Emperor will be joining them for their fall tour. I wonder if that means for all dates. I would be pretty happy with either, but to have both WITH NIN at the same show would be pretty mindblowing. I really hope that is how it goes down. Just checked EITS and Godspeed sites and don't see any dates yet.

Geez...I'm downright giddy with excitement right now.

unfortunately they are splitting opening acts for the tour - can't go wrong either way though, EITS is opening here in LA

9/28* St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center 6/14, 10 AM
9/30* Kansas City, MO Sprint Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/1* St. Louis, MO Chaifetz Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/3* Montréal, QC Centre Bell 6/14, 10 AM
10/4* Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre 6/14, 10 AM
10/5* Cleveland, OH Wolstein Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/7* Auburn Hills, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills 6/14, 10 AM
10/8* Pittsburgh, PA Petersen Events Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/11** Boston, MA TD Garden 6/14, 10 AM
10/14** Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/15** Newark, NJ Prudential Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/18** Washington, DC Verizon Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/19** University Park, PA Bryce Jordan Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/21** Raleigh, NC PNC Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/22** Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena 6/21, 12 PM
10/24** Atlanta, GA Philips Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/30+ Sunrise, FL BB&T Center 6/28, 10 AM
10/31+ Orlando, FL Amway Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/5* San Antonio, TX AT&T Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/8* Los Angeles, CA Staples Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/9* Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/11* El Paso, TX Don Haskins Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/13* Broomfield, CO 1stBank Center 6/14, 10 AM
11/15* Las Vegas, NV The Joint 6/14, 10 AM
11/16* Las Vegas, NV The Joint 6/14, 10 AM
11/18* Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/19* Spokane, WA Spokane Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/21* Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/22* Seattle, WA KeyArena 6/21, 10 AM
11/24+ Edmonton, AB Rexall Place 6/21, 10 AM
11/25+ Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome 6/21, 10 AM

* Explosions in the Sky supporting
** Godspeed you! Black Emperor supporting
+ TBA

anyone heard the new Portugal. The Man Album?

I gave it another listen last night - still have mixed feelings on it - def some great songs on there but there's something about it that is off to me

unfortunately they are splitting opening acts for the tour - can't go wrong either way though, EITS is opening here in LA

9/28* St. Paul, MN Xcel Energy Center 6/14, 10 AM
9/30* Kansas City, MO Sprint Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/1* St. Louis, MO Chaifetz Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/3* Montréal, QC Centre Bell 6/14, 10 AM
10/4* Toronto, ON Air Canada Centre 6/14, 10 AM
10/5* Cleveland, OH Wolstein Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/7* Auburn Hills, MI The Palace of Auburn Hills 6/14, 10 AM
10/8* Pittsburgh, PA Petersen Events Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/11** Boston, MA TD Garden 6/14, 10 AM
10/14** Brooklyn, NY Barclays Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/15** Newark, NJ Prudential Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/18** Washington, DC Verizon Center 6/14, 10 AM
10/19** University Park, PA Bryce Jordan Center 6/21, 10 AM
10/21** Raleigh, NC PNC Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/22** Nashville, TN Bridgestone Arena 6/21, 12 PM
10/24** Atlanta, GA Philips Arena 6/21, 10 AM
10/30+ Sunrise, FL BB&T Center 6/28, 10 AM
10/31+ Orlando, FL Amway Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/5* San Antonio, TX AT&T Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/8* Los Angeles, CA Staples Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/9* Phoenix, AZ US Airways Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/11* El Paso, TX Don Haskins Center 6/28, 10 AM
11/13* Broomfield, CO 1stBank Center 6/14, 10 AM
11/15* Las Vegas, NV The Joint 6/14, 10 AM
11/16* Las Vegas, NV The Joint 6/14, 10 AM
11/18* Portland, OR Rose Garden Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/19* Spokane, WA Spokane Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/21* Vancouver, BC Rogers Arena 6/21, 10 AM
11/22* Seattle, WA KeyArena 6/21, 10 AM
11/24+ Edmonton, AB Rexall Place 6/21, 10 AM
11/25+ Calgary, AB Scotiabank Saddledome 6/21, 10 AM

* Explosions in the Sky supporting
** Godspeed you! Black Emperor supporting
+ TBA

A little disappointing, but I'm glad to see that we will be getting Godspeed in Atlanta. I totally missed the boat on tickets for their show here in Birmingham in a small bar. By the time I heard about the show the only thing tickets I could find were on StubHub for $200+.

Anyone like these guys? ex-members of the Promise Ring and Dismemberment Plan. One of my absolute favorites:

[ame]http://youtu.be/lKTMBUGfFwo[/ame]

Just read about these guys today. Kind of like Django Django but maybe not so quirky. Hope to see them making the festival circuit later this year or next year.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/HgjqhGjUIb0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1vU6a7Haw78" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K8KCPw9kYpo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

awesome!

I had tagged a song of theirs months ago on Shazzam but couldn't really find anything else by them at the time - def will have to look again

New Sigur Ros streaming here until June 17.

Just found out that they are coming to Birmingham, AL. What is this world coming to? I really don't know them that well but figure a Sigur Ros show in my hometown is a show that shouldn't be missed.

New Sigur Ros streaming here until June 17.

Just found out that they are coming to Birmingham, AL. What is this world coming to? I really don't know them that well but figure a Sigur Ros show in my hometown is a show that shouldn't be missed.

I started to listen to the 1st track at work and stopped so that I could give it a proper listen. My buddy said he hasn't been so impressed with a new album on a 1st listen in some time.

I saw them several months back and definitely will not miss them the next time they are in town.

pretty stoked we've recently had 2 great festival lineups announced in Santa Monica this fall

http://www.wayoveryonder.net/ - West Coast Festival put on by Newport Folk Fest
Conor Oberst, Brett Dennen, Calexico, Neko Case, First Aid Kit, The Felice Brothers, Justin Townes Earle, Neal Casal, Jonathan Wilson, Thao & the Get Down Stay Down, Jenny O., Shovels & Rope, Hurray for the Riff, Jessica Pratt, Frank Fairfield, Spirit Family, Aaron Embry

http://festivalsupreme.com/ (not indie but music/comedy)
Tim and Eric, The Mr. Show Experience, The Mighty Boosh, Sarah Silverman, Zach Galifianakis, Adam Sandler, The Gregory Brothers, Tig Notaro, Hannibal Buress, Eric Idle, Fred Armisen, Princess (Maya Rudolph and Gretchen Lieberum), Will Forte, Demetri Martin, Dynasty Handbag, Reggie Watts, Beardyman, Craig Robinson and the Nasty Delicious, Garfunkel and Oates, Triumph the Insult Dog, Neil Hamburger Band, The Abe Lincoln Story, Nancy and Beth (Megan Mullally and Stephanie Hunt), Tenacious D

Just got tickets to QOTSA in September! :rockin:

Last time they were in town was at Lollapalooza about 10 years ago. I was working concessions at the venue that summer, and I tried to sneak out on break to catch their set, but missed it by about 5 minutes. I was so pissed.

Just got tickets to QOTSA in September! :rockin:

Last time they were in town was at Lollapalooza about 10 years ago. I was working concessions at the venue that summer, and I tried to sneak out on break to catch their set, but missed it by about 5 minutes. I was so pissed.

Super bummed that they don't have a date in Atlanta or Birmingham this go around. I was totally shocked that they came to Birmingham on the last tour, but with the good turnout I was hoping they would come back. Maybe they will announce something in that gap between the Asheville show and the Budweiser festival.

On a positive note, I did just land some pretty sweet tickets for Sigur Ros in Birmingham in October. October is going to be a fantastic month with Local Natives, Sigur Ros, and NIN with Godspeed. Can't wait!

It's kind of funny how you can feel like you do a pretty good job staying on top of music and then suddenly you hear about a band that has been around for 10 years and has a pretty strong following. Here is mine for today. This is pretty great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WqrayxTy9To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

really digging the new Sigur Ros album - wish they were coming back around here in support of it

also, not indie but Love the new Bill Frisell album - Big Sur

Discovered Frontier Ruckus this week, been cramming my ears with their tunes. Good stuff.

Thumbs up for Cold War Kids.

I'm a big fan of Starf*cker. They veer toward the electronic, and man are they catchy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ND0bsl-gp34" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's kind of funny how you can feel like you do a pretty good job staying on top of music and then suddenly you hear about a band that has been around for 10 years and has a pretty strong following. Here is mine for today. This is pretty great.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/WqrayxTy9To" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Love the Besnard Lakes! Check out "Are The Dark Horse" and "Are The Roaring Night" as well. Great band!

I just finished watching an episode of London Live with The Shins, and I've gotta say I don't understand why people have been so down on The Shins as of late. I know James Mercer has a bit of a reputation as a prick, but he writes great sings and he really is a remarkable singer. We saw them last October and I went into the show with some concerns about his ability to perform live with the vocal range of his music, but he blew me away the entire show. Not a single note missed or off key...probably the best performance I saw in 2012. Port of Morrow isn't my favorite Shins album, but there are definitely some great songs there. I REALLY hope I have more opportunities to see them live.

BTW, if you have DirecTV and don't have the group of channels that comes with Palladia, stop what you are doing and call DirecTV now and order it. It is only like two or three dollars extra a month and it is worth every penny. There are days when I have a hard time getting off the couch because there is so much good music on that channel. Don't worry about thanking me for this great advice...just send me some IPA. ;)

My favorite indie rock band has been Neutral Milk Hotel
My current obsession is the band Why?
I also am a big fan of Andrew Bird, Reverand Horton Heat, Palace Brothers, Magnetic Fields

Boy I just realized I listen to pretty out-dated stuff. I'll check yinz guys' suggestions!

Some really great dreamy, psuedo shoe-gaze indie-pop out of Sweden.

I always get these guys confused with Broken Social Scene in my mind. I need to give Radio Dept. more of a listen!

Speaking of, about to give the Besnard Lakes a listen as they have slipped through the cracks for me as well, though I've heard the name.

My favorite indie rock band has been Neutral Milk Hotel

I got to see Jeff Mangum on his tour this January :D

The new Smith Westerns album is streaming on NPR's first listen now- anyone else listened?

And Palladia can be pretty awesome :)

Latest posts

Back