I'm Thinking... 09/09/09 Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bump.

• We're approaching 90 days from D-Day.
  • If you haven't shipped, you are definitely late.
  • UPS trucks are going to be running in 100 degree weather soon.
  • The integrity of swaps relies on the integrity of those who committed.
  • Don't put the integrity of HBT and yourself at risk.
  • Get on it.

In another week or so I will solicit names of people who have not shipped.
Just checked the tracking numbers and it shows all three packages have been delivered.

Just curious how everyone is storing there received 999 bottles. My bottle fridge is about 45°F and I'm keeping conpewter's 999 in that.

I'm just spit balling here, but wouldn't that keep the 999 "younger" for a longer time than true 55°F cellar temps? Thinking about leaving one under the basement stairs on the slab to "age" and see what differences, if any, show up.

What say you all?

My basement stays a good temp of 65 or so, I've been storing them in the cabinet with the rest of my beer. I figured the same thing as yourself about storing them colder, it would slow down aging. I have stored the hoppy extra beers I got in the swap in the fridge.

I am keeping what I have recieved in the back of my fermentation cabinet at a comfy 60deg. Still waiting on two shipments though.....

No problem!

Now my other issue comes up. How am I going to drink 46 ounces of barleywine on a wednesday night? (or any night for that matter). Couveas sent a couple 22 oz instead of the 12oz ones :)

I think the tasting may be spread out over that week instead.

I'm thinking about having 2 on 999 and 2 the day after. That way I'm able to completely evaluate and enjoy each one without wasting any. Or maybe 2 the day prior and 2 on 999. That way if a bunch of people are on chat, I'll have tasted them all.

Me too, I shipped bombers as well. I was just under the impression that's how we all roll. I should have learned my lesson from the 888.
As much as it's not in the spirit of the whole ordeal, I will not be opening 56oz of Barleywine on the same day. Sorry guys. Lets be honest, the second one that you taste won't be a very honest judgement even if you only pour 4oz from the first one and recap it. Something this hoppy/malty/strong/delicious will just stay with you for a while. To be honest, I think I'll be tasting one the day before, one the day of, and one the day after.

PS I think it's okay for us to name names now, isn't it? I'm curious how many of the people that are missing shipments are missing them from the same person...

I will be tasting mine after 999. On 9/12/09 I will be racing a half ironman on the other side of the state. No beer that week for me.
But when I get back I'll get right to it. :D

PS I think it's okay for us to name names now, isn't it? I'm curious how many of the people that are missing shipments are missing them from the same person...

I've asked to be PM'd and I'll reach out. I've already talked to a few stragglers and fortunately they're all boxing things up "as we speak".

no need to name names yet. It's not 999 yet. Give them time.

My life is busy as hell, it I had not got them out when I did I would most likely be on this list. lol
As long as it all works out in the end, it's all good.

Sorry if this has been discussed and I missed it. Were the IBUs determined using the Rager formula? If so, what is the more commonly used formula in the industry (I know promash defaults to Rager and beersmith goes to Tinseth)? I'm trying to figure out how the IBU's on this in Rager would compare to commercial Barleywines...

Hoping you guys can answer a quick question on this. I never got this beer to bottle carb, so I opened all the bottles, put some grains of US-05 in them, re-capped, left in the hot garage - and still they did not carb. I have some Champagne yeast, should I re-hydrate the yeast and put the yeast in the bottles and re-cap? Or will the yeast eat more that the priming sugar and create bottle-bombs?

Bump....

Can anyone help me with my question above? Can I carbonate the bottles with the champagne yeast? FG was 1023, so I am concerned the champagne yeast may eat the priming sugar and then the other residual sugars and I'll have bottle bombs...

That's a hard question for anyone to answer. The hot garage is never a good place to store your beers. If you're willing to risk the bottle bombs, I would try a small starter with the beer yeast and add a few drops of ACTIVELY FERMENTING yeast, rather than the dry stuff. What was your OG? perhaps it's a bit too strong for the beer yeast.

Thanks for the reply - my OG was 1106, and it has been in the bottle since November last year. At 10.9% ABV, it was definitely too strong for the original yeast. I thought Champagne yeast would handle the alcohol and carb the bottles. I'm just not sure if it would go too far.

After I pitched the dry yeast, I put it in the garage hoping to give it the right temp to ferment. I could try more US-05 in a starter for a couple days before pitching and re-capping. I just hope I can get it carbed in time to enjoy on 9-9-09.

Anyone got other ideas?

I'm kind of in the same boat. Mine carb'ed very very lightly. There are tiny bubbles in solution, but it certainly doesn't seem "carbonated". After about 4 months in the bottle with little carbonation, I made a starter with some Nottingham and dropped three drops in each bottle during active fermentation. Unfortunately. it didn't seem to do too much... The saving grace is that it tastes pretty damn good.

I'm kind of in the same boat. Mine carb'ed very very lightly. There are tiny bubbles in solution, but it certainly doesn't seem "carbonated". After about 4 months in the bottle with little carbonation, I made a starter with some Nottingham and dropped three drops in each bottle during active fermentation. Unfortunately. it didn't seem to do too much... The saving grace is that it tastes pretty damn good.
I also had the same problem with not carbonating. I tried rehydrating some Saf -05 and added a couple drops to each bottle and re capped, still no carb.

So we're now less than 5 weeks out. I still haven't recieved any brews from Korndog. I'm not encouraging flaming or anything else, I'm just curious how many others are currently in receivership of 2/3 (or worse, but I hope not). I'm disappointed, I've only participated in 3 swaps on HBT (888, Secret Santa, & 999) and I've been short a beer in two of them. I'm excited to taste everyone's beers, I just hate getting stiffed....

So we're now less than 5 weeks out. I still haven't recieved any brews from Korndog. I'm not encouraging flaming or anything else, I'm just curious how many others are currently in receivership of 2/3 (or worse, but I hope not). I'm disappointed, I've only participated in 3 swaps on HBT (888, Secret Santa, & 999) and I've been short a beer in two of them. I'm excited to taste everyone's beers, I just hate getting stiffed....

If he doesn't come through let me know, i'll send you a couple of bottles of mine.

I'll swap with you when the time comes... ;)

I'm going to call out Ridemywideglide. His PM box is full and he's not been active on the site for close to a month. Anyone else missing a package from him? I've been in three member to member swaps, the Kolsch '09, Secret Santa 08 and this swap might be my first stiffed package.

I have received a package from conpewter.

yeah, I am missing Ridemywideglide and korndog as well.

BM's beers were awesome though so I won't complain too much since I got beer from the man himself :D

Sorry about any welchers.

It's the one major drawback to a long-term, big swap like this. Lot's of great energy and ambition, then too much time for things to fall apart.

I've emailed all no-shows I know of. Any kind souls who want to step in and fill any gaps, there is a special place for you in brewing heaven.

PS - I have one stiffer myself. (That's stiffER, not stiffee:D)

Deathweed, I promised earlier I'd send you a couple if you didn't get those two shipments, pm me your address and I'll get a couple out to you. I don't have anything extra bottled up right now, but as long as you like sweet barleywine I can make up for the other guys.

Hey guys, thanks for the concern and offers of beer, but I will continue to give these guys the benefit of the doubt (for a little bit longer at least).

Couevas/conpewter - I will definitely keep your offers in mind, but as ambient temps here are between 100-105F, I may wait until this fall for shipping beer if that is alright.

Back