I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't posted on this thread for quite some time, got a good connection, figured I'd take a shot.
We left Alaska in the first week of July and finally got to Arizona in the second week of August. Original plan was to take about 2 and half to 3 weeks to get here but problems (automotive) keep coming up. We had planned to stop in various places on the way down across the States and check out some breweries and fellow HBTers but decided just to get the journey over with.
Our old house in Alaska closes in 2 weeks and we are looking at a 10 acre farm in Prescott Valley.
I can honestly say that at 55 yrs old, I am ready to stop living out of a back pack and I am very much looking forward to getting our new home and settle down.

I haven't posted on this thread for quite some time, got a good connection, figured I'd take a shot.
We left Alaska in the first week of July and finally got to Arizona in the second week of August. Original plan was to take about 2 and half to 3 weeks to get here but problems (automotive) keep coming up. We had planned to stop in various places on the way down across the States and check out some breweries and fellow HBTers but decided just to get the journey over with.
Our old house in Alaska closes in 2 weeks and we are looking at a 10 acre farm in Prescott Valley.
I can honestly say that at 55 yrs old, I am ready to stop living out of a back pack and I am very much looking forward to getting our new home and settle down.

Jiminy it's like traveling in a Conestoga. You should be doing the Oregon trail at that rate.

I can't imagine you not living in Alaska. You were "the Alaska Guy". Oh well.

At 55, I'm surprised you chose 10 acres. I LOVE the idea of land like that. While I used to be full of verve, but I'm very close to the 5-0 myself now, and I feel less inclined to mend fences and fix roofs.

Hey LabRatBrewer what's your climate like? pineapples probably don't do too well in places that get freezing temps. Anyone with pineapple experience know how they would fare inside for part of the year?

Jiminy it's like traveling in a Conestoga. You should be doing the Oregon trail at that rate.

At 55, I'm surprised you chose 10 acres. I LOVE the idea of land like that. While I used to be full of verve, but I'm very close to the 5-0 myself now, and I feel less inclined to mend fences and fix roofs.

Hi PP, grew up on a farm and most of my Wife's family lives within 2hrs and have promised to help out. I retired from the State of Alaska early to go help out with my parents-in-law, and as most folks here know, i'm retired from the Navy, so I seem to have time. We want room to play, grow some veggies, raise a few goats and hair sheep (don't want to deal with shearing but I love me some lamb chops). I'm gonna try Aquaponics, fish and veggies in a closed loop system.

hi pp, grew up on a farm and most of my wife's family lives within 2hrs and have promised to help out. I retired from the state of alaska early to go help out with my parents-in-law, and as most folks here know, i'm retired from the navy, so i seem to have time. We want room to play, grow some veggies, raise a few goats and hair sheep (don't want to deal with shearing but i love me some lamb chops). I'm gonna try aquaponics, fish and veggies in a closed loop system.

ucimnvs

I would have sworn you were older. Wise beyond your years I guess. Not that I will think any less of you now. Your post are always enlightening.

I meant to quote you Sub but I'm not going back now. Good luck with the move.

Like a license plate puzzle

I have seen a licence plate around town something like 7HPV61. That's a lot of cylinders for 7 horsepower... Yuk yuk.

Chicken and zuchinni comin' off the smoker...gotta split.

I'm 48. If you thought something I posted was "wise", don't. I am you. Picture you. That's me.

Take my word, I've known me for a long time. I'm you.

Yes. But have you known me for a long time? I may well be you and you may be someone else entirely that neither of us has ever met. Well probably not but I still think you are wise.

Best zuchinni I ever made or otherwise eaten BTW. The chicken was pretty nice too.

I did do a couple of experiments with nitrogen cavatation tonight, some fruitful some not.
But I'm drunk so I'm done, the vodka did the best explaining my condition but this is promising!
Night HBT

I did a dried dragon fruit in vodka. Came out a beautiful purple/pink but low on flavor.

I also did a dried orange peel and tanaglo (so?) in vodka. Smells great.

I want to try some in unfermentables. I'm going to brew a 3 gallon stout tomorrow and split it 3 ways. Going to play with coffee cacao nibs and orange.

On another note I just saw a chef making ramen with a chicken infused soy sauce. Hmmm, now I want to make ramen.

I did a dried dragon fruit in vodka. Came out a beautiful purple/pink but low on flavor/QUOTE]

Photo

1411941220865.jpg

I did a dried dragon fruit in vodka. Came out a beautiful purple/pink but low on flavor.

I also did a dried orange peel and tanaglo (so?) in vodka. Smells great.

I want to try some in unfermentables. I'm going to brew a 3 gallon stout tomorrow and split it 3 ways. Going to play with coffee cacao nibs and orange.

On another note I just saw a chef making ramen with a chicken infused soy sauce. Hmmm, now I want to make ramen.

I did a stout with cacoa nibs last year and it was do bitter. Let me know if you have better results!

I did a stout with cacoa nibs last year and it was do bitter. Let me know if you have better results!

How did you do the nibs?
I am drinking a milk stout presently that I roasted nibs till they started to turn color, 350F, 15 minutes maybe, I didn't keep track, started smelling chocolate and didn't let it get too dark, soaked in vodka while the beer fermented and I'm happy with it.

You got some moxie girl, don't let anyone change you:mug:

LRB, I haven't had a chance to play around with it again but I will.

How did you do the nibs?
I am drinking a milk stout presently that I roasted nibs till they started to turn color, 350F, 15 minutes maybe, I didn't keep track, started smelling chocolate and didn't let it get too dark, soaked in vodka while the beer fermented and I'm happy with it.

You got some moxie girl, don't let anyone change you:mug:

LRB, I haven't had a chance to play around with it again but I will.

Roasted and ground then added to secondary. It was good, but very bitter. I'm wondering if it was the barely or malt and maybe not the nibs at all. Damnit I'm starting to rethink myself! ;)

Roasted and ground then added to secondary. It was good, but very bitter. I'm wondering if it was the barely or malt and maybe not the nibs at all. Damnit I'm starting to rethink myself! ;)

I split a 3 gallon batch into 3 one gal. Carboys. But I got too cocky and forgot to account t for the 1 gal of water in the cold steeped dark grains. Brought my OG down to 1.08 o. Lots of issues. Way to many grains for the pilot system. Nonetheless, I plan to have 1 as a base; one as an orange chocolate ;and one coffee chocolate (both on the whippet)

I split a 3 gallon batch into 3 one gal. Carboys. But I got too cocky and forgot to account t for the 1 gal of water in the cold steeped dark grains. Brought my OG down to 1.08 o. Lots of issues. Way to many grains for the pilot system. Nonetheless, I plan to have 1 as a base; one as an orange chocolate ;and one coffee chocolate (both on the whippet)

Sounds like they will be good! Let me know how they turn out!

Well after brewing for more years than the average age of a hbt member, it appears I have my first bottle bomb. It must have be a low grade explosion. The bottle was still standing but missing a middle section. It was a carrot wine of all things.

1412137517995.jpg

Well after brewing for more years than the average age of a hbt member, it appears I have my first bottle bomb. It must have be a low grade explosion. The bottle was still standing but missing a middle section. It was a carrot wine of all things.

Welcome to the hobby!

Have you made rootbeer/soda? They pretty much have a drink by date before KAbOoM! I gave one to my dad for New Years and was mortified to see it still on the top shelf on the 4th of July. Congrats BTW

Anyone else here do any hunting? I got my first ruffed grouse of the season today!

I did some work for a guy that has a few miles of private roads and his property borders state and paper land. He said I could come out anytime and shoot at some birds. I hope I can find the time. I have my licence and shells and shotgun in my truck.

Used to hunt all the time. Big game and rabbits/squirrels mostly but since moving to Nebraska the hunting sucks. No access to private land and all the public land is grossly over hunted. If you want to actually have a good hunt you have to pay a ranch to let you come out.

I used to hunt a lot when I was a teen, but not anymore. Both of my dogs like to hunt, though ;-)

Far cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy some moose meat than it is to actually kill a moose yourself. Won't be much longer until moose is in the supermarkets and I'll be cooking some moose burgers!

Used to hunt all the time. Big game and rabbits/squirrels mostly but since moving to Nebraska the hunting sucks. No access to private land and all the public land is grossly over hunted. If you want to actually have a good hunt you have to pay a ranch to let you come out.

I am a grouse hunter. I sit and watch deer walk by every year. I have only ever shot one. It's a lot of work to process one by yourself. I always think of that before I pull the trigger. I want a turkey. We have them everywhere but only 1000 permits for the UP? I saw at least 30 today bringing the boys to grandma's.

I used to hunt a lot when I was a teen, but not anymore. Both of my dogs like to hunt, though ;-)

Far cheaper to go to the supermarket and buy some moose meat than it is to actually kill a moose yourself. Won't be much longer until moose is in the supermarkets and I'll be cooking some moose burgers!

I was in Alaska visiting my Brother-in-law who is a fisherman. I discovered moose cannot be photographed. We could be driving at 70mph on the freeway and stick the camera out the window and get a postcard waterfall. But a Moose who spends 20 minutes with his head through the kitchen window trying to reach some food and you can blow 2 rolls if film (yes it was awhile ago) and get nothing but a quaint picture if an open window.

I was in Alaska visiting my Brother-in-law who is a fisherman. I discovered moose cannot be photographed. We could be driving at 70mph on the freeway and stick the camera out the window and get a postcard waterfall. But a Moose who spends 20 minutes with his head through the kitchen window trying to reach some food and you can blow 2 rolls if film (yes it was awhile ago) and get nothing but a quaint picture if an open window.

And what would you be doing with a moose photo if you had one anyway? I have a good grouse photo...first bird Witt my oldest son. I wanted to share but can't find it. He was afraid to touch it but I made him carry it back to the truck.

And what would you be doing with a moose photo if you had one anyway? I have a good grouse photo...first bird Witt my oldest son. I wanted to share but can't find it. He was afraid to touch it but I made him carry it back to the truck.

Damned moose are just dying to get into the graveyard!

big_Kysa_3418664.jpg

Ouch! I'm gonna look you up pods next time I get to Finland. I'm 75%. Both sets of grandparents spoke Finnish but never taught me a word...except swears;)

Here's a good Finnish saying for you with a photo to demonstrate:

Ahneella on paskainen loppu

051006_pythoneatsgator.jpg

Back