I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Revvy doesn't really post here anymore. He hangs out in Facebook mostly now.

Regarding blowoffs, I've had to use them. Some yeasts are very active, and if you don't have good control over temps, or you have a high-gravity beer, the krausen can build quickly.

I keep two blowoff assemblies in a plastic pitcher. I never start with a blowoff, but if I notice a problem growing then I'll use them. My assembly is simply a long piece of silicone tubing stuck into the hole of a universal bung. They look like the one in the back left of this pic. I had to quickly come up with a bunch of them... those are all wheat beers that got a little out of hand.

blowoff_city-41491.jpg

I have only had one beer ever go 'ballistic'. I had it in a closet in an apartment and it covered the walls and a suit in krausen. I spent days cleaning up that mess. Every beer I do now starts off with a blowoff tube. It takes a hell of a lot less time to clean tubing then it does to clean that **** off the walls.

I found the water leak today. Comes from the bottom of the garbage disposal. I checked the base mount/ no leaks. I checked all the plumbing connections under the sink and they're fine.

So , I turned water towards the garbage disposal side of the sink and let it run. Water is coming out the weep hole and c/b at the bottom of the disposal.

For now I just put a bucket under it to catch water. There are no leaks if the garbage disposal is running

Any suggestions a side from replacing the disposal ?

Check the disposals drain. It may be partially clogged and when it fills up enough will leak. I took mine apart the other day since it was clogged and found what looked like a waterlogged cigar plugging the outlet. Removing that fixed everything right up.

Check the disposals drain. It may be partially clogged and when it fills up enough will leak. I took mine apart the other day since it was clogged and found what looked like a waterlogged cigar plugging the outlet. Removing that fixed everything right up.

Man o man. That got my hopes up but unfortunately the drain chamber was clear. A bit of slimy gunk but nothing to impede the flow.

I went to HD this morning and got a new disposal and just finished installing it. I'm keeping the old one for now. It's got a good 3/4 hp motor in it. I have no idea what I could do with that but throwing it out just seems wasteful.

Here is a Revvy fix:

http://brewbubbas.com/Site/Brew_Bub...g_a_Bochette_&_Using_Nitrogen_Cavitation.html

He was recently interviewed about a fascinating process called Nitrogen Cavitation.

Leave it to The LabRatBrewer man. :)

I believe I'm going to stop by that sight and say Hey! Revvy. :)

I replaced the garbage disposal and couldn't just throw away the old one , so I did a post-mortem on it. :)

Came apart pretty easily (I wasn't afraid to take it apart cause it was headed towards the junk yard).

Four 5mm screws attach the bottom to the top. The electrics are on the bottom. Good idea to keep the electrical isolated from the water. Ya?

The watertight barrier between the two had degraded.

I separated the two units. The barrier is not provided by just an o-ring, well there is one but the primary barrier is some sort of ... PAinted on? Brushed on ? Applied sealant barrier.

I m going to clean the mating areas and plan to apply a sealing barrier. Like the original but better quality.

I'm not sure what to use though. Something water impenetrable and fluid in the application.

Any recommendations?

Leave it to The LabRatBrewer man. :)

I believe I'm going to stop by that sight and say Hey! Revvy. :)

I replaced the garbage disposal and couldn't just throw away the old one , so I did a post-mortem on it. :)

Came apart pretty easily (I wasn't afraid to take it apart cause it was headed towards the junk yard).

Four 5mm screws attach the bottom to the top. The electrics are on the bottom. Good idea to keep the electrical isolated from the water. Ya?

The watertight barrier between the two had degraded.

I separated the two units. The barrier is not provided by just an o-ring, well there is one but the primary barrier is some sort of ... PAinted on? Brushed on ? Applied sealant barrier.

I m going to clean the mating areas and plan to apply a sealing barrier. Like the original but better quality.

I'm not sure what to use though. Something water impenetrable and fluid in the application.

Any recommendations?

No suggestions, but I suddenly believe I'm about to regret tossing the disposal I recently replaced. :mug:

Hi friends!

How are you all?

I'm here for my monthly check in... (sorry I don't visit as often as I should)

What's new with everyone?

Regarding Michael (Revvy), I talk to him quite often on facebook. Aside from being friends there, he is also a member in a homebrew group that I'm an admin in. He seems to be doing well. He has a very full plate these days.

Fall is trying to make it's appearance. The temps are cooling off, finally. We've been getting an abnormally good amount of rain lately. I'm sure a lot of you are not so happy that Fall and Winter are approaching, but for those of us in the desert southwest it tends to be a welcomed event.

Hi friends!

How are you all?

Regarding Michael (Revvy), I talk to him quite often on facebook. Aside from being friends there, he is also a member in a homebrew group that I'm an admin in. He seems to be doing well. He has a very full plate these days.

Fall is trying to make it's appearance. The temps are cooling off, finally. We've been getting an abnormally good amount of rain lately. I'm sure a lot of you are not so happy that Fall and Winter are approaching, but for those of us in the desert southwest it tends to be a welcomed event.

Please tell the Revvy that we were thinking about him.

Hi friends!

How are you all?

Mike! So good to hear from you. We'll catch up here later.

I seconds the welcoming of fall! 93+ gets old after a few months!

Damn nice to see I'm not the only one staying up at night thinking of beer. Got two 5 gallons waiting to keg this week...... tonight though it's whiskey.

Annnnnd boredom strikes. Up drinking a HB "crazy wife chocolate stout" and reading HBT. The husband is asleep, and there's a gentle lull from my blow off tubes releasing. Smells like cider in here.

Hey everyone!

I'm looking at a 40 plate wort chiller and was wondering if a pump will be necessary? 5 to 10 gal batches, valve installed in kettle, into glass carboys for primary...

I'd like to have 1 pass through without recirculating the wort. Will gravity feeding work without risking glass carboy breakage disaster?

Thanks!

Gravity feeding is how I do it and it works fine. Be sure to test it the first time with a bucket so you get an idea of how much to open your valve to provide optimal cooling otherwise you might have your worth to hot when it hits that carboy and that would be no bueno.

The STC-1000 has a "compressor interval delay" setting (prevents x minutes from cut off before restarting the device). For a mini fridg that pulls 0.9 amps, what should I put in this setting in terms of minutes between 1 and 10?

Thanks!

The STC-1000 has a "compressor interval delay" setting (prevents x minutes from cut off before restarting the device). For a mini fridg that pulls 0.9 amps, what should I put in this setting in terms of minutes between 1 and 10?

Thanks!

I'm not an engineer but as a physicist I feel like you are asking for a simple answer to a complex question. So in terms of energy 0.9A is not very much. And conservation of energy laws dictate that this energy is going to be transferred to the system in the form of heat energy and kinetic energy. This energy transference into the system is only equivalent to the amount of work done by the electrical energy put into the system. So we are talking about only a little bit of heat energy here.

All this considered, the interval delay is typically used in order to allow the medium (usually coolant or oil) to come to thermal equilibrium. So considering the physics without any math to go on and basing the materials involved as the average mini fridge set up I would say 3-5 minutes for an older system in which the medium may have degraded some. Or you could get away with 2 minutes for a newer system.

Keep in mind this is not scientifically accurate and is my best guess as a physicist. Perhaps someone with more applicable experience can offer other suggestions. (Also I have been drinking and it is late):mug:

It's a setting to keep the fridge from killing itself by turning on and off to quickly. When the controller is on something like a light bulb it doesn't matter but a fridge needs some down time. I think my Johnson is set on the high side, 10-12 maybe.

Tomorrow's Friday, late niters! Man o man, days turn into weeks and months roll by and bam Halloween is right around the corner. Life's rolling by so quickly. It's just a blink between two eternities, so this weekend take the dog to the park, buy your wife a flower, and call your kids/folks.

For your late nite soundrack, the birth of the blues. Love this Rat Pack song. This video is pretty cool when Johnny Carson makes an appearance (he can sing?). Sammy Davis Jr was the man, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tomorrow's Friday, late niters! Man o man, days turn into weeks and months roll by and bam Halloween is right around the corner. Life's rolling by so quickly. It's just a blink between two eternities, so this weekend take the dog to the park, buy your wife a flower, and call your kids/folks.

For your late nite soundrack, the birth of the blues. Love this Rat Pack song. This video is pretty cool when Johnny Carson makes an appearance (he can sing?). Sammy Davis Jr was the man, really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab68Z4U_cEw

So much truth, each year seems to go faster and faster.

Great link Pappy!!

This week has been catch up week for me with my brothers and sister. I haven't really talked to them in years. It was wonderful. So many old memories. Mostly good. But our folks passed away pretty young. I wonder what it would have been like if they were still alive? Life. Deep stuff like that. We'll never know

Sorry. I'm a bit deep and a little down tonight

So. I'm an old country boy at heart. I love dueling banjos. That's often played by a guitar and a banjo. Not always though. I hope you enjoy this

Last edited by a moderator:
Paycheck should be Amazon gift card..... :cross:

Serious problem....hubby says I can't do that and has officially upset the SWMBO.

My rebuttal to his refusal you ask?
2 new carboys
20 gallons of apple juice
120 new bottles
1000 new caps.

But I didnt buy anything on amazon, so I didn't break the rules. hahaha!

Serious problem....hubby says I can't do that and has officially upset the SWMBO.

My rebuttal to his refusal you ask?
2 new carboys
20 gallons of apple juice
120 new bottles
1000 new caps.

But I didnt buy anything on amazon, so I didn't break the rules. hahaha!

:mug:

I'm about to order my next carboy. I need to make sure its from the same suppler and faking it like its the same one lol

I make my life too much like 007...

Back