I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sent from my iPhone

Truly these guys saved my mind. It was back around 1985. I lived on a navy warship. I was not unhappy about that.

Styx. Was a a very good band

Last edited by a moderator:
Rice.

Any good plate lunch here in Hawaii will likely come with two scoops of rice and macaroni salad. That's gospel.

We have one of those cheap little rice cookers. I actually think cooking rice on the stove produces better rice and is faster but the rice cooker is more of a fire and forget device. Since I'm sometimes quite lazy it is usually the chosen method.

I doubt you're thinking I'm talking about minute rice. For the most part it's been outlawed in my house for many years.

We usually buy a 15 or 20 pound bag of Hinode, short grain. It lasts about a month or so I suppose.

I've never made excellent rice though. I rinse it with water till the water is clear. I use the finger method for measuring the water. A Filipino friend taught me this many years ago and it works pretty well. Place your index finger up to the first crease, the joint, above the rinsed rice and cover with water. When the water reaches that crease. It's enough.

Now my hands aren't particularly small. A bit bigger than my friend's hands so I don't generally go all the way up to that first crease and like I said, my results are good but not great.

Anybody here have better advice for making rice? I like it sticky and shiny, like Japanese rice.

I've experimented with different amounts of rinsing. And water levels. Occasionally the rice comes out shiny and sticky. I'm not good at duplicating that outcome each time. ??

Rice.

Anybody here have better advice for making rice? I like it sticky and shiny, like Japanese rice.

I've experimented with different amounts of rinsing. And water levels. Occasionally the rice comes out shiny and sticky. I'm not good at duplicating that outcome each time. ??

I make rice like in an Irainian Style with Saffron (it looks like this photo). I've never made sticky rice so I can't be of much help.

!!!!rice01.jpg

Until such a time
as we are brought to the end
of the end of the end

When you are still mine
with your blend of the bend
of the bend of your end

The meaning has been lost
for so long

So long

So long

First, I like the verse Homercidal. Kinda dark, so did a quick check to make sure you're still posting today....cidal in your name and all.

Second, a rambling pet peeve: am I the only one who thinks the ph scale should have been reversed? Higher numbers should be more acidic and a low number should be near the base. Also, the word alkalinity sounds like an acid burn. Why the second word to describe a basic solution?

First, I like the verse Homercidal. Kinda dark, so did a quick check to make sure you're still posting today....cidal in your name and all.

Second, a rambling pet peeve: am I the only one who thinks the ph scale should have been reversed? Higher numbers should be more acidic and a low number should be near the base. Also, the word alkalinity sounds like an acid burn. Why the second word to describe a basic solution?

No I'm fine.

I don't find the pH scale backwards. Acidic is no more or less than bases. They generally get more attention, but the scale is kind of screwy to start with. They should have started with 0 and went negative for acids, IMO.

I'm sure there is a chemical reason they decided to set up the scale they way they did.

I make rice like in an Irainian Style with Saffron (it looks like this photo). I've never made sticky rice so I can't be of much help.

LRB, that rice looks delicious! Last night I actually make really good rice. We had it with Kalua pig and cabbage.

My backyard is too small to dig a pit and cover it in lau-lau leaves or maybe it's banana leaves , I'm not sure. Usually I brown a pork butt seasoned with Hawaiian sea salt and liquid smoke. Then throw it into a crockpot for 6-7 hours. This avoids a hole and big mess in my yard. :)

(Wait, this will come together)

A week or two ago we went to our only and most favorite second hand thrift store. It was 30% off day !

I found a Presto 6 quart pressure cooker for. $9, less the 30%! The thing was in perfect shape, stainless steel, 15 psi regulator. I have a 23 quart pressure canner which is great for canning or pressure cooking large amounts of food but it's a bit much for family meals.

Erg!! I need to fix my laptop. Just lost a few more paragraphs. I'm not rewriting them again on a phone.

Meal turned out perfect

LRB, that rice looks delicious! Last night I actually make really good rice. We had it with Kalua pig and cabbage.

My backyard is too small to dig a pit and cover it in lau-lau leaves or maybe it's banana leaves , I'm not sure. Usually I brown a pork butt seasoned with Hawaiian sea salt and liquid smoke. Then throw it into a crockpot for 6-7 hours. This avoids a hole and big mess in my yard. :)

(Wait, this will come together)

A week or two ago we went to our only and most favorite second hand thrift store. It was 30% off day !

I found a Presto 6 quart pressure cooker for. $9, less the 30%! The thing was in perfect shape, stainless steel, 15 psi regulator. I have a 23 quart pressure canner which is great for canning or pressure cooking large amounts of food but it's a bit much for small less ginoremess

The picture isn't mine, but looks similar enough. Nice find re: the Presto!

The picture isn't mine, but looks similar enough. Nice find re: the Presto!

Yes it really was. I have never been much of a thrift store patron until recently. Absolutely amazing some of the stuff people give away. They get tired of it , no room, whatever and donate it. Each time we go we usually donate items and then shop. Never ending cycle. :)

Don't laugh

When we moved to Hawaii (actually my wife moved. I rented out my house and slept at work for 10 months )

The move ;
Only shipped stuff that cost a lot to replace; cars, motorcycles, and items that held sentimental value ( my brewery for both reasons! Alas, it's sold, but that's not where I'm going with this)

My wife got exceptional deals on furniture and a washer and dryer. Craigslist adds. She did very well.

One day she washed some heavy items, threw them in the New (used) Kenmore HE3 dryer and shortly after, the dryer started squealing. Awfully loud.

When I got here we talked about having a repairman fix but the machine worked fine except for the noise. Eventually we stopped using it at night because of the noise (our dryer, and washer are outside in a little cubby hole- it's Hawaiian style!

So, since I am still not employed and tired of answering my wife's questions about what I did productive all day?

((( self justifying, and weak side bar -my house for the moment. I'm full time cook , house cleaner, landscaper, handyman and anything else needs done-

Back to my rambling topic. I did all that stuff when I worked full time at a perfectly great job, great pay, great benefits - which I threw away to move to my wife's home...Hawaii. Eff me and my thinking)))

I decided to fix the dryer. I tore the thing completely apart because that was the only way I'd get to the the part I figured was making the noise. The drum belt tension pulley. It was the cause. I replaced it. Dryer is very quite now

What I wasn't expecting was the firetrap of lint inside. Scary really. This dryer was only a few years old. Since I had it torn down I cleaned it well. Every nook and corner.

I said to my wife it's amazing how much lint was built up inside a newer dryer.

Ching $ Ching. $.
Wife said, "why not make money cleaning dryers?"

She's lined up four potential "customers".

Gents I'm far from a rocket scientist or doctor or lawyer, but for the last 15 years my mind, specialized training and il admit , military rank and experience is how I made a living.
I 'm the guy who has to read, watch, and be told. Hey! Trust me that's no different from.....nope. Wrong thread.

Around my house I'm a very good yard mower, appliance fixer, painter, plumber, sidewalk sweeper , dry-Waller and cabinet builder. Pretty much anything except for stuff that requires licenses

I'm half tempted to call up my old boss. I don't think they've found my replacement yet.

Or, I should just fix a dryer a day. I've only torn apart and repaired two dryers in my life and a washing machine. They're pretty easy. But they were mine.

I wish my old job and Hawaii were in the same state. I got to do something soon or I'm going to go nuts. Dryer cleaning might be a short term fix.

Ironically a truck pulled into our complex parking lot this morning. Nice newer model pick up. On the side of the truck business name and number. I don't remember the exact name or number. Just the service the guy advertised. "Dryer Duct Exhaust Cleaning"

Hmm. If his business bought him that truck. Maybe I could do something ?

hear

So. About. 50 % of what I've written tonight keeps getting lost and doesn't post.

My thoughts are in the moment. I can not recite them

Cheers to you all and to clear beer

Well it is YOUR thread... You can really ramble all you want Brotha'

Cheers Brother!

Jay

You're top notch Jay. Another man I would like to have a few beers with someday.

We are starting a batch of crock pickles. I'm gonna loosely follow Alton Brown's recipe. I only have some of last years garden dill leftover. If you have any advice, make it quick. Kids have to get to bed;)

Cheers to you guys
And to things that make a man cry
Why be so depressing
Ain't like it's an elephant you're undressing

You're top notch Jay. Another man I would like to have a few beers with someday.

We are starting a batch of crock pickles. I'm gonna loosely follow Alton Brown's recipe. I only have some of last years garden dill leftover. If you have any advice, make it quick. Kids have to get to bed;)

ha ha ha..Thanks man if your ever around here let me know, I'll buy the first round!
Nope follow Alton to the T man. He is more scientist than cook as you know!

Cheers
Jay

Something Dan should give you smiles
Is a gift from a friend that has traveled miles.
I see it landed in a box near you.
Seek it out and stow away a few.
For it was a gift from Jaybird to Dan
I always want to help out, anywhere I can.

Cheers
Jay

Cheers
Jay

I think I am set for false bottoms Jay. Unless you make them for women...I never said that.

Another edit. Things are working badly on an iPhone. Edits. Even just basic posting is screwy. For me , anyway

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird.
I truly did enjoy that kind bit of poetry
From a really good dude to put it pointedly
In the mail recently came a Wonderfully GREAT gift!
From Jaybird to me.
Man, the gesture makes my eyes water and my nose needs to sniff.
A gracious new present in my humidor does sit
Five fine cigars but that's not all

A beautiful cigar holder made by Jaybird's hands. Man, its one of a kind and super swell!!! I'll hold on to it forever in that I don't dwell

Thank you, Jay. I'll get a pic put up soon. The cigar holder is a work of art !!!

Cheers!
Dan

Edit. I keep changing this poem. I just want it right. To say thank you to Jaybird's and to this great sight! :)

Jaybird.
I truly did enjoy that kind bit of poetry
From a really good dude to put it pointedly
In the mail recently came a Wonderfully GREAT gift!
From Jaybird to me.
Man, the gesture makes my eyes water and my nose needs to sniff.
A gracious new present in my humidor does sit
Five fine cigars but that's not all

A beautiful cigar holder made by Jaybird's hands. Man, its one of a kind and super swell!!! I'll hold on to it forever in that I don't dwell

Thank you, Jay. I'll get a pic put up soon. The cigar holder is a work of art !!!

Cheers!
Dan

Edit. I keep changing this poem. I just want it right. To say thank you to Jaybird's and to this great sight! :)

Absolutely my pleasure brother!
Enjoy them in good time!

I cannot wait to see your picture of your new cigar holder and a GREAT stick burning!

Cheers
Jay

Invention, my dear friend, is 93% perspiration, 6% electricity, 4% evaporation, and 2% butterscotch ripple.

110% !
I thought only jet engines were capable. go - Man-go!! :)

My garbage disposal is leaking. Found it by chance. I don't know how long it's been leaking.

My wife wanted an under sink water filter. I installed one yesterday and a drinking water tap a few inches to the left of the single faucet lever. (Yay again for a 1-1/4 inch hole saw. Thank you home brewing). Drilled a perfect hole in a matter of seconds through this house's SS sink.

As an aside. The unfiltered water taste just fine to me. Hawaii has some pretty clean water, a little chorine or chloramines maybe. They are pretty much tasteless in my tap water.

If I brewed with this water I'd probably brew two same batches : one straight tap water and one with a campden addition to find out if the addition was needed.

Back on point, partly :) After I installed the filter and let it flush the recommended 15 minutes , I did a straight tap water / filtered water taste test. Filtered water tasted off. I don't know how to describe except it had a flavor of new to it. Like the first time you burn in a new grill. Paint burns off, no seasoning yet; something like that. The tap water was just fine though.

I know bad tasting tap water. Sometimes so much chorine/chloramines you just go ewe. Some so much sulfur you just know somebody must have access to your water lines and regularly farts into them after eating pickled eggs. :)

Gross bastards! :)

Not where I was going. Last night when I installed the faucet I cleared out the under sink crap. You know, cleaning solutions; stuff like that. My wife. She noticed water on the floor of the cabinet. There was actually a good bit of it.

Good thing about that water was it prompted her to prompt me ( if you know what I mean - no choice ) to clean out the water scrub the cabinet and find the leak.

I found the water leak today. Comes from the bottom of the garbage disposal. I checked the base mount/ no leaks. I checked all the plumbing connections under the sink and they're fine.

So , I turned water towards the garbage disposal side of the sink and let it run. Water is coming out the weep hole and c/b at the bottom of the disposal.

For now I just put a bucket under it to catch water. There are no leaks if the garbage disposal is running

Any suggestions a side from replacing the disposal ?

:off:

I hate this time of night when I have to work the graveyard, all of you go to sleep, and I come up with one hundred and one burning questions............ :(

:rockin:

Post them. They will be replied.

If they get lost of this thread gets fast forwarding to much. Shoot me a Pm and I'll get your questions posted when more people can answer

For now. What's your questions ? I might be able to help. :)

Tonight I haven't big questions yet. I have plans to investigate the best option for a blow off tube... I don't like to ask questions I can research and get some ideas/answer...I might risk becoming HBT's most annoying poster...

But still, who knows what might enter my mind at 2am :) I guess time will tell..

(Thank you for being there, Dan :rockin:)

:off:

I hate this time of night when I have to work the graveyard, all of you go to sleep, and I come up with one hundred and one burning questions............ :(

:rockin:

Post them. They will be replied.

Somtimes posts get forgotten when HBT gets fast forwarding too much and the question you posted quickly drops to the bottom of the page. We've all been there.

Shoot me a Pm and I'll get your questions posted when more people can answer. OR. ask it on this thread.

For now. What's your questions ? I might be able to help, and I'm sure many people here are happy to give you a hand.

We just need know your question. :)

I think I might have double posted. Not the forms fault but mine

Blow off tubes are pretty straight forward.

What's the specific question ?

Blow - off tubes allow excessive c o2 to be released during the first 1-4 days of fermentation

If you read the current "must do' thing - it's a blow off tube.

I'm not going to debate that. Well maybe a little. I've brewed many beers and will say blow off tubes are good but must have. Headspace and temperature control are more important. Blow off tunes are a backup to those two.

I've had lid pop off a bucket before.

Back on track.

Are you looking a specific diameters of tubing to use for a blow off tube given your set up ?

Blow off tubes are an excuse for over filled fermenters. ..what was the question?

I wonder what the big boys do? Blow off tubes or head space?

It would be a good time for Revvy , to check in. He doesn't here and I get that. Revvy, pure brewing advice and I respect that.

This thread would not be keeping with his.... I'm thinking for a word. Comfort zone? For the most part.

Truly would like to see Revvy here but do respect and understand, I think. Why he doesn't post here . I dig it. This is more of a social thread. I don't think Revvy doesn't like to socialize. I think he's just more of a purest. HBT is lucky to have him as a member. A leader. I just wish he'd post here occasionally.

My plead.
Red rover red rover
Revvy come over !

Cheers!! :)

Latest posts

Back