I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike, loving the Gypsy Kings.

Somebody answer a question please?

Why is it easy to meet wonderful people of like values and interest on HBT but not in my own home town? Don't get me wrong, I've met some good people in this town and have good neighbors.

Is it the distance and anonymity that makes it easy to make friends from afar?

But I truly miss the people I severed with.

I'm actually asking for help here. I spent nearly 27 years in the Navy. It was my life, the people I knew, I knew well. We worked very long hours together in places as beautiful as Hawaii and scary as Iraq. We became family.

Since retiring I've gotten a bit lost. Actually a lot lost.

Well I know that feeling Dan. When I got out it felt like I had lost a bit of my self or soul. I think it is because of the closeness that one has to have with people in the military. One has to know that the guy next to him will have your back and not quit when the crap hits the fan.

Heck I still miss those pukes I ran with.

I've always liked traveling because of the wonderful people I run into. My neghbors next door are a$$holes, but complete strangers thousands of miles away are always eager to greet and be friendly. Blows my mind, really, how anti-social people are in my community. Quick to judge and more than willing to pretned that you don't even exist. The boys on the other side of me are pretty cool. They play music and used to have a band that practiced over there all the time. They're all under age though, so I can't invite them over for a beer or anything. I used to crash the party and jam with them once in a while though.

Dan said:
LRB, I think in general HomeBrewers are pretty cool. There is a common bond between us. It is based on sharing and goodness. That's my thought.

Dan, you might want to see if there is a home brewing group near you. There usually is, and the guys and girls there are usually just as cool as the people you'd meet on the forum, but more real.

I'm sure I've drank too much but tonight made me think about my neighborhoods.

When I bought my first condo, I was so excited. The building was horseshoe shaped with shared large driveway in the center that all the garages opened up to. I thought the set up would lend itself to great bar-b-que’s with the neighbors. I was right…for the building next door. Our building was full of the horrible yet ultra-polite-but-leave-me-be neighbors. I guess everyone was happy that no one was loud. I was sad that no-one was a real neighbor.
We then moved into a house with an amazing neighbor. He was all about fun. This brought distain from many of the neighbors (my wife included), but he was also all about the neighborhood…a point my wife missed. At Halloween, he had a full on framed haunted house on his drive way (he, me and six neighbors spend weeks building it – note the building team was the key- he knew this). We did this every year. In my last year in the neighborhood, we had 200 costumed children pass through the house. On the 4th of July we had a 100+ kid bike parade.
At Christmas, he managed to get the entire neighborhood to agree to string lights across the street between each house (they were all two story). The guys all climbed up and did all the work (its f’n scary on a ladder on a slanted roof). We even got the bahumbugs to agree to give us access (we had to agree to cover all the cost for some of the houses to get the agreements). Again, there was a sense of community on the project. When lit up, it was like driving through a tunnel of snow. As a bonus, I think just about every house was decorated. Even those who did not celebrate Christmas added something. That tunnel of light was beautiful.
Over the years, after the traditions set in, I guarantee that any crime witnessed was reported, to the police, to the victim, to the entire neighborhood. Everyone looked out for each other. Sadly, we had to move.
We moved into a new neighborhood without such traditions. The first thing I did was host a move night. We posted homemade signs on the mailboxes that looked light movie premiere posters inviting everyone. The movies were projected onto the garage (later a large screen). This brought out the children and their parents. We do this often. We then started bi-annual block bar-b-que. Slowly, this brought out the other neighbors. We kept inviting even the recluse people.
Part of it is luck (we had 23 children move onto our street –a cul-a-sac- within 3 years, that has to help make friends), but part of it was bringing homemade bread and a six pack to people who probably did not want either. The result is we have mostly good neighbors, and we know enough to look after each other a little. We’re not perfect. There are houses, a few, that I can’t name a single occupant. But, I’ve never known more neighbors than I do now. It’s taken a lot of effort.

I visited a Uncle from my wifes side once in Phoenix AZ once. He had a wonderful house in a nice neighborhood. I was taking the trash out one day and saw his neighbor taking his trash out so I stopped and said hi to him. He kind of looked shocked but warmed up after a bit and we talked about cool and groovy stuff for awhile. When I got into the house the uncle was wondering why it took me so long to take the garbage out and when I told him I was talking to the neighbor he was stunned. He had lived there for years and not met a single neighbor.

I live out in the country now. I do have neighbors but we can pretty much do what we want with out ever seeing or hearing them. I like it that way. I like being isolated when I want and being able to help others when I can. It seems like it is much easier to talk and help the neighbors if they are far away

As far as neighbors, I have to admit I am very cautious about drawing too close. I own this place, and will probably live here for at least the next 10 years. Everyone else isn't going anywhere either. I've learned valuable lessons in the past about drawing too close to the natives, and having it cause problems down the road. I make sure to stay friendly with the folks around me, and we all look out for each other. I've brought them beer, and we stand out on the street and chat. But that's about as close as I feel comfortable getting given my past experiences. I am definitely more outgoing in semi-anonymous settings.

Just put dishes from the last two days into the dishwasher. I've used Cascade detergent for years. Powder was a little cheaper but a pain, sometimes makes the little detergent dispenser door hard to close if I over fill. The liquid stuff is less hassle but more expensive. My brother of all people turned me on to these.
s0608432_sc7

These little packets are awesome! They look to small to do anything good but they are the best I've ever tried. Not expensive either.

Going to BBQ some chicken here shortly and then my daughter and I are going on a little motorcycle ride. Just close to home. She'll be riding an HD 883 Hugger. Tomorrow I'm taking her up to the mountains but she'll be a passenger. She's not ready to make a bike trip on the Freeway yet on her own bike. I'm hoping the riding experience tomorrow as a passenger will help her understand riding a little better. And if I'm being honest, deter her from wanting to pursue riding. (Fatherly worries)

Dan said:
Just put dishes from the last two days into the dishwasher. I've used Cascade detergent for years. Powder was a little cheaper but a pain, sometimes makes the little detergent dispenser door hard to close if I over fill. The liquid stuff is less hassle but more expensive. My brother of all people turned me on to these.

These little packets are awesome! They look to small to do anything good but they are the best I've ever tried. Not expensive either.

Bro. When I discovered those after my last Costco shopping trip I was practically out endorsing them on the street corner. It's usually my job to do dishes, and I do it but dislike it. With these I just load dirty dishes up, and they come out clean. Just like in the commercials.

Bro. When I discovered those after my last Costco shopping trip I was practically out endorsing them on the street corner. It's usually my job to do dishes, and I do it but dislike it. With these I just load dirty dishes up, and they come out clean. Just like in the commercials.

I hear ya brother!

Gawd I love this thread. Now we are talking about dish washing detergent! :mug:

Dan said:
I hear ya brother!

Gawd I love this thread. Now we are talking about dish washing detergent! :mug:

I know! I was telling people at work about them, and I kind of felt like a woman trying to throw a Tupperware party but didn't care. I kind of think they probably burn holes through the ozone layer, and you probably shouldn't use them if you're on septic.

I know! I was telling people at work about them, and I kind of felt like a woman trying to throw a Tupperware party but didn't care. I kind of think they probably burn holes through the ozone layer, and you probably shouldn't use them if you're on septic.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. They are tiny and powerful. Probably not the best on the environment. I'm not going to stop using them.

I just checked the packaging on the little dish detergent tabs. They claim safe for septic systems.

There was a show somewhere about the engineering and physics that when into making those little packets. It was actually pretty amazing. Millions of dollars went into the design. I wish I remembered where I saw it to provide a link.

Yes, I tend to agree with you. They are tiny and powerful. Probably not the best on the environment. I'm not going to stop using them.

A couple of years ago some states outlawed phosphates in detergents. The detergent companies didn't want to deal with different products for different states, so most of them removed the phosphates. However, I know at least Cascade is still available with the phosphates, but only in an "institutional" size.

My wife noticed that the dishes weren't getting clean, and there was a civil war in my house until I fixed the problem. First world problem, yes, but my wife was livid. She wanted a new DW (no) and a new water softener (yep). One of the solutions was the detergent: I found one that still has the phosphates.

768581564_260.jpg

I get this at a store called GFS Marketplace. They are scattered along the east coast. You can't buy this at the normal grocery store, and it might not be available anywhere locally depending on your state.

BTW, phosphates are not poisonous... quite the contrary, they are a solid nutrient. But they result in excessive algae growth, same as fertilizer, and that's the concern.

BTW, here is a good article on this whole thing. It seems to recommend the detergent that Dan and BB are touting.

PP, nice article. You always come up with some neat stuff.

So I'm back already, from the ride. Turned out my daughter didn't feel like riding so I went on a short ride by myself. Just over an hour. It was nice though. Rode up to the Harley dealer in Visalia and checked out some bikes. Their inventory was pretty low. One neat thing they have been doing the last few years is selling used Police bikes. The bikes are usually around two years old and sport the classsic single saddle seat with adjustable airsprings. The lights and stuff are normally stripped off but a few police decals are left. If I didn't already have a bike I'd look into buying one of those. In my opinion they are a good deal, go for around $14K but that's not bad for a two year old Road King that has been professionally maintained.

Admittedly, I just took this from another thread. It's a classic.. Seen it before, you probably have too. Still funny.

[edit] ftfy - pp

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some dough rising. Maybe in an hour or so will use it as pizza crust. Saturday night, had a couple homebrews and ready to make some great food. I think my daughter is having friends over. The pizza making will hopefully be a group experience. Should be fun.

I have some dough rising. Maybe in an hour or so will use it as pizza crust. Saturday night, had a couple homebrews and ready to make some great food. I think my daughter is having friends over. The pizza making will hopefully be a group experience. Should be fun.

do you use a sour dough for the pizza?

LRB, the man of changing Avatars. :D

No, I didn't use sourdough for this pizza. Something about the valley here is not congenial to sourdough. I've tried a few times, just doesn't do well here.

BTW.. Hanford is north of you by about 200 miles. Not really far but when it comes to environment we are nothing like SoCal, wish it were different. I use to live near Camarillo, beautiful place. about 35 minutes north of LA. Wow! I visited there a few years back and it has expanded quite a lot.

Howdy Dan!

Homemade pizza sounds good. I haven't made one in a while. I like doing the spent grain thing. I also use beer yeast instead of bakers yeast and wort instead of water. The beer yeast takes a lot longer to rise, but it sure makes a tasty dough.

Enjoy your pizza and the time with your daughter!

I've used spent grain in dough, never wort and brewing yeast though. Time for a change. Hope you are having a great day/night my friend.'

Gonna post a song. Always liked it, never understood the words to well, my crappy hearing. So I found a YouTube link with lyrics.

Just sharing.

Just now, sitting here, outside sounded like a gun went off. Thankfully no. Just the neighbors lighting off fireworks. Don't think they ever have before. It's cool.

If the last video I posted seems a bit queer. Did not want to throw out that signal.

Why would Iris send out that signal? Its a good song. Then again I love Barry Manilow , Queen, Frankie goes to Hollywood, Culture Club etc...on the other hand Flaco was surprising straight so...anyhow good music is good music.

She is, and Kid Rock too. Got to admit I don't listen to either one of them much. Maybe I should.

Mike, loving the Gypsy Kings.

Somebody answer a question please?

Why is it easy to meet wonderful people of like values and interest on HBT but not in my own home town? Don't get me wrong, I've met some good people in this town and have good neighbors.

Is it the distance and anonymity that makes it easy to make friends from afar?

But I truly miss the people I severed with.

I'm actually asking for help here. I spent nearly 27 years in the Navy. It was my life, the people I knew, I knew well. We worked very long hours together in places as beautiful as Hawaii and scary as Iraq. We became family.

Since retiring I've gotten a bit lost. Actually a lot lost.
The anonymity helps. Another major factor is numbers. How many people do you think have seen this thread and never commented? Only the people who are willing to be social to some degree ever respond to a thread.

Howdy Dan!

Homemade pizza sounds good. I haven't made one in a while. I like doing the spent grain thing. I also use beer yeast instead of bakers yeast and wort instead of water. The beer yeast takes a lot longer to rise, but it sure makes a tasty dough.

Enjoy your pizza and the time with your daughter!
The time probably helps with the flavor more then you might think. It's not a bad idea to let your dough rise in the fridge over night. The extra time gives the yeast more of an opportunity to develop some flavor.

She is, and Kid Rock too. Got to admit I don't listen to either one of them much. Maybe I should.
I didn't know you liked Kid Rock.

Here's the picture I promised LRB. This is all the brewing stuff I picked up on my last visit to the Asian market.

brewing supplies.jpg

Has anybody bottles in leftover soda bottles? I've got some PET closures and they look the same.

Back