I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Giving it up is tough and my hat's off to those of you that have. I smoked cigarettes many years ago and somewhere turned to smokeless tobacco on a regular basis. Pipes and cigars are nice and there is a time for them.. but crap.. I'm addicted to Nicotine. Used to use Copenhagen tobacco. The fine cut stuff. Now use the Copenhagen pouches. I'm very weak. My willpower doesn't override the nicotine dependency.
Yeah, well. I had help. I had some teeth removed. The dentist told me I couldn't smoke for a minimum of five days. Got some patches. They didn't work for me at all. What did was being some level of high from pain pills for about three weeks.

I did have some issues getting off the pain pills when they were gone though. Not so bad as the nicotine, but not fun either.

Giving it up is tough and my hat's off to those of you that have. I smoked cigarettes many years ago and somewhere turned to smokeless tobacco on a regular basis. Pipes and cigars are nice and there is a time for them.. but crap.. I'm addicted to Nicotine. Used to use Copenhagen tobacco. The fine cut stuff. Now use the Copenhagen pouches. I'm very weak. My willpower doesn't override the nicotine dependency.

Yeah, I was hanging out with some friends of mine who smoke today and was like. I'd really love a cigarette right now. Even after a year and a half I still get the cravings.

I really don't know how I managed to quit. I was really addicted. I even used to wake up at night about every 2 hours to smoke a cig. Interestingly after 12 years of not smoking I still wake up every two hours. At first I would have a very lost feeling whenever I woke up. Now, as bad as it is, I have a little cookie or a glass of milk or something to appease the lost feeling I get when I wake up. Still no cravings, though.

On another topic. I don't know what you guys are "debating", but I recently had a thought. PP, sorry! I'm not a rebel! I promise, but isn't ANY topic/debate appropriate in a thread that's under the sub-forum of "Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling"? I mean... When a person is drunk and rambling doesn't anything go?! Therefore, anything you could possibly want to talk about is technically on topic. Right?!

Yeah, well. I had help. I had some teeth removed. The dentist told me I couldn't smoke for a minimum of five days. Got some patches. They didn't work for me at all. What did was being some level of high from pain pills for about three weeks.

I did have some issues getting off the pain pills when they were gone though. Not so bad as the nicotine, but not fun either.

I can relate. I lost about half of all of my teeth. :(

LRB, I'm really happy you're here. Truly. And BTW, your last riddle is tough. You wouldn't believe how many hours it's kept me up. Well done my riddling friend. I hope PP will chime in.

All four wisdom teeth, two busted off ones, and an abscessed one. Seven in one sitting. That truly sucked.

I have a hereditary condition of inflammation. Cigs made it worse. I lost about 12 teeth very slowly and extremely painfully. I don't have insurance, so I couldn't go to a dentist. Some of them literally took months to loosen up and fall out. A couple I had to pull myself. I wear a partial now. Later this year I plan to have the rest pulled out. My father had to have his all pulled by the age of 35, so I guess I've held out a bit longer. It's a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I feel your pain....

I think I'm sharing too much, but I have a beer buzz. I don't really care. I have nothing to hide.

LRB, I'm really happy you're here. Truly. And BTW, your last riddle is tough. You wouldn't believe how many hours it's kept me up. Well done my riddling friend. I hope PP will chime in.

Its a silly riddle, its a play on the word room. I love when a riddle stumps me. Thanks for creating that thread.

In listening to the excellent Jimmy Hindrix song below in this thread, youtube suggested this to me.... NENA can do no wrong

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a hereditary condition of inflammation. Cigs made it worse. I lost about 12 teeth very slowly and extremely painfully. I don't have insurance, so I couldn't go to a dentist. Some of them literally took months to loosen up and fall out. A couple I had to pull myself. I wear a partial now. Later this year I plan to have the rest pulled out. My father had to have his all pulled by the age of 35, so I guess I've held out a bit longer. It's a pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemies. I feel your pain....

I think I'm sharing too much, but I have a beer buzz. I don't really care. I have nothing to hide.

That sounds horrible...the tooth pain, not the beer buzz.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWQ-oDMG6g"]Nickelback - Never Gonna Be Alone[/ame]

Among friends sharing is good. Sometimes not easy to do. I've spilled lots about myself here. I don't really care because I have trust in those I talk to. This group is sort of connected. Not going to give out my SSN or credit card number. Not because I'd be afraid the good people here would use it, but because this is the net and easily accessible. It's good to share among friends. Personal Information Security is different.

That sounds horrible...the tooth pain, not the beer buzz.

Yeah, it fvckin sucked really bad! The tooth pain, not the beer buzz! haha..

You would think after all of that it would be easy to walk in to the dentists office and say "pull 'em all doc!", but I'm pretty scared to do it. I was supposed to do it last November, but I keep putting it off. My dad says "just do it! Once you go plastic you never go back!" haha...

It's good to be able to talk to other people you know won't attack you.

I've got to get to bed brothers. I'm working tomorrow.. May sweet dreams sing their siren's song, and your soul partake of there soothing balm.

Among friends sharing is good. Sometimes not easy to do. I've spilled lots about myself here. I don't really care because I have trust in those I talk to. This group is sort of connected. Not going to give out my SSN or credit card number. Not because I'd be afraid the good people here would use it, but because this is the net and easily accessible. It's good to share among friends. Personal Information Security is different.

Thanks Dan. That really does make me feel welcome and comforted. That's what I get for brewing 5 gallons of truth serum every two-three weeks! haha..

It's good to be able to talk to other people you know won't attack you.

I've got to get to bed brothers. I'm working tomorrow.. May sweet dreams sing their siren's song, and your soul partake of there soothing balm.

Night brother!

Yeah, it fvckin sucked really bad! The tooth pain, not the beer buzz! haha..

You would think after all of that it would be easy to walk in to the dentists office and say "pull 'em all doc!", but I'm pretty scared to do it. I was supposed to do it last November, but I keep putting it off. My dad says "just do it! Once you go plastic you never go back!" haha...

I have two fake teeth from taking a foot to the mouth in karate as a kid. At least it wasn't my foot :) I was young so they put in temps. 30 some years later, temps still there.

Funny thing is, I had beautiful teeth. Straight, white, and never had a cavity. Just my jaw wouldn't hold on to them.

anywho... enough of all that self pity kind of stuff. Fact is... at this moment I'm pain free and loving life. So, I'm partially made of plastic. I'm ok with that! haha.. Life could certainly be a heck of a lot worse, and I'm grateful for the way my life is.

Here's some musica;

[ame]http://youtu.be/VcOvqpOWCwM[/ame]

Funny thing is, I had beautiful teeth. Straight, white, and never had a cavity. Just my jaw wouldn't hold on to them.

anywho... enough of all that self pity kind of stuff. Fact is... at this moment I'm pain free and loving life. So, I'm partially made of plastic. I'm ok with that! haha.. Life could certainly be a heck of a lot worse, and I'm grateful for the way my life is.

Here's some musica;

http://youtu.be/VcOvqpOWCwM

i see your Gypsy Kings and raise you:

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, loving the Gypsy Kings.

Somebody answer a question please?

Why is it easy to meet wonderful people of like values and interest on HBT but not in my own home town? Don't get me wrong, I've met some good people in this town and have good neighbors.

Is it the distance and anonymity that makes it easy to make friends from afar?

But I truly miss the people I severed with.

I'm actually asking for help here. I spent nearly 27 years in the Navy. It was my life, the people I knew, I knew well. We worked very long hours together in places as beautiful as Hawaii and scary as Iraq. We became family.

Since retiring I've gotten a bit lost. Actually a lot lost.

Why is it easy to meet wonderful people of like values and interest on HBT but not in my own home town? Don't get me wrong, I've met some good people here to, have good neighbors. Is it the distance and anonymity that makes it easy to make friends from afar?

I'm actually asking for help here. I spent nearly 27 years in the Navy. It was my life, the people I knew, I knew well. We worked very long hours together in places as beautiful as Hawaii and scary as Iraq. We became family.

I think you might be right about the anonymity thing. In real life people put up walls due to their own insecurities, which makes it tough to be-friend someone. Online those insecurities go by the wayside. I don't socialize much these days, but when I did I usually met good people for the most part.

Dan, I think it is a societal change. Gone are the days of taking your new neighbor a loaf of bread or a sixer of beer.

Humans seem to do still well when forced to interact with each other, but it seems we are drifting further apart as neighbors.

Sad really. I'm young enough to think I'm missing the "good ol days" but also smart enough to know those days may have actually never existed in the way they were portrayed in the media.

Mike, well said and I agree with you.

Good day to move to Home Brew Town.

ASAP!

With you and PP and all the great wonderful people here.

Dan, I think it is a societal change. Gone are the days of taking your new neighbor a loaf of bread or a sixer of beer.

Humans seem to do still well when forced to interact with each other, but it seems we are drifting further apart as neighbors.

Sad really. I'm young enough to think I'm missing the "good ol days" but also smart enough to know those days may have actually never existed in the way they were portrayed in the media.

I'm not lying when I say I take my neighbors cookies and German baked goods during the holidays. I also give them beer. Although, I do agree with you. I don't think many other people in my neighborhood do that...

AZ_IPA. I agree, and not to get all mushy. Super happy you chimed in. I truly respect your opinion. Have since the the first post I ever read of yours. Riddle thread is still going!

Why is it easy to meet wonderful people of like values and interest on HBT but not in my own home town? Don't get me wrong, I've met some good people here to, have good neighbors. Is it the distance and anonymity that makes it easy to make friends from afar?

There are good people everywhere. It does feel like they're hard to find. I was at the Socal Homebrew Fest a couple weeks ago. I met at least six people who I'd welcome into my home and trust them if I had to run to market. True, they were friends of friends, that always helps. (Dan said BobbyLyn was good people, I instantly read her posts in a better light, and now throughly enjoy them...why did I need a voucher?). The thing is I didn't meet one ahole the four days I was there. By Saturday -the fest itself, i was feeling horrible and aantisocial. My tolerance for sh&@theads was very low. (turns out I caught pneumonia). Still, strangers and mild acquaintances were so kind. Maybe its just homebrewers are mostly cool.

AZ_IPA. I agree, and not to get all mushy. Super happy you chimed in. I truly respect your opinion. Have since the the first post I ever read of yours. Riddle thread is still going!

I don't have many neighbors now, but when I lived in a small townhome/condo community in Phoenix, I was shocked as to how little interaction I had with my "neighbors." It was fecking sad.

Now that I live in the middle of nowhere, I miss the chance for neighbor interaction. Maybe someday.

And maybe someday I'll have a beer with Dan!

LRB, I think in general HomeBrewers are pretty cool. There is a common bond between us. It is based on sharing and goodness. That's my thought.

I'm sure I've drank too much but tonight made me think about my neighborhoods.

When I bought my first condo, I was so excited. The building was horseshoe shaped with shared large driveway in the center that all the garages opened up to. I thought the set up would lend itself to great bar-b-que’s with the neighbors. I was right…for the building next door. Our building was full of the horrible yet ultra-polite-but-leave-me-be neighbors. I guess everyone was happy that no one was loud. I was sad that no-one was a real neighbor.
We then moved into a house with an amazing neighbor. He was all about fun. This brought distain from many of the neighbors (my wife included), but he was also all about the neighborhood…a point my wife missed. At Halloween, he had a full on framed haunted house on his drive way (he, me and six neighbors spend weeks building it – note the building team was the key- he knew this). We did this every year. In my last year in the neighborhood, we had 200 costumed children pass through the house. On the 4th of July we had a 100+ kid bike parade.
At Christmas, he managed to get the entire neighborhood to agree to string lights across the street between each house (they were all two story). The guys all climbed up and did all the work (its f’n scary on a ladder on a slanted roof). We even got the bahumbugs to agree to give us access (we had to agree to cover all the cost for some of the houses to get the agreements). Again, there was a sense of community on the project. When lit up, it was like driving through a tunnel of snow. As a bonus, I think just about every house was decorated. Even those who did not celebrate Christmas added something. That tunnel of light was beautiful.
Over the years, after the traditions set in, I guarantee that any crime witnessed was reported, to the police, to the victim, to the entire neighborhood. Everyone looked out for each other. Sadly, we had to move.
We moved into a new neighborhood without such traditions. The first thing I did was host a move night. We posted homemade signs on the mailboxes that looked light movie premiere posters inviting everyone. The movies were projected onto the garage (later a large screen). This brought out the children and their parents. We do this often. We then started bi-annual block bar-b-que. Slowly, this brought out the other neighbors. We kept inviting even the recluse people.
Part of it is luck (we had 23 children move onto our street –a cul-a-sac- within 3 years, that has to help make friends), but part of it was bringing homemade bread and a six pack to people who probably did not want either. The result is we have mostly good neighbors, and we know enough to look after each other a little. We’re not perfect. There are houses, a few, that I can’t name a single occupant. But, I’ve never known more neighbors than I do now. It’s taken a lot of effort.

It's snowing like nuts. Longest winter on record. Can't even motivate to brew. Drinking my reserves cellar, lamenting my apfelwein, and wishing I had either more beer or more sun. Should be doing midnight sun bbq instead of hiding from snow. F this place and/or global climate change

I'm sure I've drank too much but tonight made me think about my neighborhoods.

When I bought my first condo, I was so excited. The building was horseshoe shaped with shared large driveway in the center that all the garages opened up to. I thought the set up would lend itself to great bar-b-que’s with the neighbors. I was right…for the building next door. Our building was full of the horrible yet ultra-polite-but-leave-me-be neighbors. I guess everyone was happy that no one was loud. I was sad that no-one was a real neighbor.
We then moved into a house with an amazing neighbor. He was all about fun. This brought distain from many of the neighbors (my wife included), but he was also all about the neighborhood…a point my wife missed. At Halloween, he had a full on framed haunted house on his drive way (he, me and six neighbors spend weeks building it – note the building team was the key- he knew this). We did this every year. In my last year in the neighborhood, we had 200 costumed children pass through the house. On the 4th of July we had a 100+ kid bike parade.
At Christmas, he managed to get the entire neighborhood to agree to string lights across the street between each house (they were all two story). The guys all climbed up and did all the work (its f’n scary on a ladder on a slanted roof). We even got the bahumbugs to agree to give us access (we had to agree to cover all the cost for some of the houses to get the agreements). Again, there was a sense of community on the project. When lit up, it was like driving through a tunnel of snow. As a bonus, I think just about every house was decorated. Even those who did not celebrate Christmas added something. That tunnel of light was beautiful.
Over the years, after the traditions set in, I guarantee that any crime witnessed was reported, to the police, to the victim, to the entire neighborhood. Everyone looked out for each other. Sadly, we had to move.
We moved into a new neighborhood without such traditions. The first thing I did was host a move night. We posted homemade signs on the mailboxes that looked light movie premiere posters inviting everyone. The movies were projected onto the garage (later a large screen). This brought out the children and their parents. We do this often. We then started bi-annual block bar-b-que. Slowly, this brought out the other neighbors. We kept inviting even the recluse people.
Part of it is luck (we had 23 children move onto our street –a cul-a-sac- within 3 years, that has to help make friends), but part of it was bringing homemade bread and a six pack to people who probably did not want either. The result is we have mostly good neighbors, and we know enough to look after each other a little. We’re not perfect. There are houses, a few, that I can’t name a single occupant. But, I’ve never known more neighbors than I do now. It’s taken a lot of effort.

Wow! Want to be my neighbor? :cross: You know LarRatBrewer you are a good, good person. Wish we could be neighbors but probably not going to happen. I consider you as a friend and hope you feel the same.

Back