I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for anybody else being a protective citizen.

He wasn't arrested for hatcheting the guy in the first incident in California, because he was defending lives, he was supposed to be a key witness in the attempted murder case against that guy. But 3 months after that, he was arrested for killing another guy in New Jersey, beating him to death. People are saying it's because the man drugged and assaulted him, Kai retaliated by beating the guy, supposedly with the blunt end of a hatchet. It's a tangled story and many people are supporting him, as some sort of vigilante. Caleb "Kai" Lawrence, crazy tale about a very "out there" guy.

Anyway, enough about murder mysteries, I can't sleep. Well, I did sleep, a couple hours. I have to go back towards home on Tuesday, doctor appointment, will check on hubby and family, my dog, the chickens, the crops. If it looks like I can have our place to myself, and hubby continues to stay with other family members, I'll stay a little while. Just going to play it by ear. My son is expecting me back and now my daughter is planning to transfer to a school in Gainesville for the start of the new semester in the Fall. It would sure be nice to have both my kids close by. Not sure what is going to happen next. I guess I'll migrate between the farm and the city and see where I end up.

Good Evening HBT Brothers and Sisters. Monday is finished. Woof. They can be a trial.

Ray Manzarek, The Doors, dead at 74 today.

For your late night soundtrack, please direct your attention to the keyboards of the late Ray Manzarek, of the Doors. He founded the group with Mr. Mojo Risin.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm having my mind blown while watching the Weather Channel. My heart goes out to those in Oklahoma. The images are gut wrenching.

I'm having my mind blown while watching the Weather Channel. My heart goes out to those in Oklahoma. The images are gut wrenching.

Yes, very sad. When I lived in central IL tornadoes would come through on occasion but nothing remotely as devastating as what Oklahoma experienced. Many people just had their lives turned upside down.

Passepawn..

Now there's some take delight in the carriages a rolling
and others take delight in the hurling and the bowling
but I take delight in the juice of the barley
and courting pretty fair maids in the morning bright and early

Where's that from? A PP original? :rockin:

I bought and assembled my grill today.

Nothing fancy, but it's well made. The store would have assembled it for me, but I prefer to do that myself. That way I know for certain it was done correctly.

I could have gotten a 3 burner with the extra side burner for a little less money. It really felt like a piece of junk though. So I decided to go with one with fewer features that seemed to be reasonably well made.

On another note. I made some, I guess you would call it cinnamon pudding.

4 cups 2% milk
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup corn starch
1/4 cup ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
A dash of ground cloves
Two dashes of salt

I heated that on my stove until the corn starch set. It's in the freezer, once it's chilled I'll stick it in the ice cream maker. I don't like all the cream in most ice cream. I'm hoping thickening it with corn starch will give me a nice consistency without the greasiness you get from lots of cream sometimes. I got the idea from making custard cream.

Stauffbier must have inspired you! I agree putting it together yourself is better. Then again when I bought my kegging stuff from Keg Connection they put all the fittings on the lines. I knew from past experience with them that they do a great job.

Stauffbier must have inspired you! I agree putting it together yourself is better. Then again when I bought my kegging stuff from Keg Connection they put all the fittings on the lines. I knew from past experience with them that they do a great job.
Yup. :) I've been wanting a grill for a while now. Seeing the yummy grilled food the other night just gave me the nudge so I actually pulled the trigger.

I'd like to pick up a smoker this year. I'm not sure I'll have the money though. Still rebuilding my savings after buying the house last year, and I have a couple hundred in plants to replace too.

Yes, very sad. When I lived in central IL tornadoes would come through on occasion but nothing remotely as devastating as what Oklahoma experienced. Many people just had their lives turned upside down.

Passepawn..

I believe it's from the song "Whiskey in the jar"

What's the purpose of the bentonite powder?

It makes a great seal for a well casing and is a good lubricant for directional boring. It is clay. I would probably make good bricks too.

We hauled a trailer full of bentonite sludge (diarrhea) from a job once because they wouldn't let us dump it there (so we dumped it in the woods on the way home). I always thought it was a weird wine ingredient too.

I worked out the approximate nutritional values for a 1/2 cup of the liquid ice cream mix. I'm not sure why I did this, I don't actually care....

Calories: 189
Carbs: 35.g
Fat: 4.57g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Protein: 2.29g

I worked out the approximate nutritional values for a 1/2 cup of the liquid ice cream mix. I'm not sure why I did this, I don't actually care....

Calories: 189
Carbs: 35.g
Fat: 4.57g
Saturated Fat: 3g
Protein: 2.29g

I don't care either cause I actually don't much care for ice cream. How much cholesterol?

Hey Dan, got this from my old man. Check out the filters 55¢...or maybe 35¢.

thumb2_pipe-59915.jpg

Hey Dan, got this from my old man. Check out the filters 55¢...or maybe 35¢.

thumb2_pipe-59915.jpg

Sweet! Dr Grabows are really nice inexpensive pipes. The filters help cool the smoke among other things. Happy smoking!

Yep, tha t Red Green video was first I've ever watched. I'll check out his YouTube stuff.

I miss smoking my pipe often. I chewed for years while farming, and never miss that. I stopped my occasional pipe smoking when my wife (then girlfriend) quit smoking.

As far as Oklahoma goes, is it wrong that I kind of hope the ex's house got hit. Not that I want her or her husband to die or get hurt, but a little motivation to get their butts out here to be near the kids.

Seeing a lot of images from different EMS/Fire agencies and they're haunting.

I believe it's from the song "Whiskey in the jar"

Beaks has it. I really like a version of it by the Brothers Four, but apparently they don't allow their videos on youtube or something. All the irish bands do it (Dubliners, Pogues, etc), but they go really fast. I like the slower folky version.

I'd like to pick up a smoker this year. I'm not sure I'll have the money though. Still rebuilding my savings after buying the house last year, and I have a couple hundred in plants to replace too.

I have a smoker grill and a smoker. You need both. I'm so spoiled on steaks with the smoker grill that cooking on the campfire can be a little dissapointing. And the ribs.....holy crap. Honestly, I haven't done much with the smoker yet. I bought it when I came back from an Alaska vacation with a bunch of salmon and halibut, so all I've done with it is fish. I need to start doing some other things like susages, or pulled pork, or......oooooh......bacon.

Sorry for the book. I'm a bit frustrated right now.

My daughter is trying to establish CA residency so she can attend college here as an in-state resident. She moved here a year ago and opened a bank account account locally in July of 2011 but didn't get a CA drivers license until a few months ago. I should have dragged her to the DMV when she moved here last year.

She attends college full time locally as an out-of-state resident. The school she attends now says even though she didn't get her driver license right away she attended full time for the past two semesters and she was on my CA taxes for 2012, so they'll grant her residency status for this fall. Problem is she was only attending locally because her living with me saved a lot of money on room and board. The college she attends is mediocre so she is trying to transfer to a college in Monterey.

Now we are back trying to establish CA residency at the new college. I've been working with the Director of Admission and Records and she has been very helpful. We have submitted a handful of documents and the Director said 'it's hopeful' but she is not making a commitment yet. I'm angry at myself for not being stricter with my daughter. She's a great kid and "A" student but she can be lazy at times. I'm not trying to blame 'the system', it is my fault we are having this problem now.

I just love California DMV. Real rant begin!
My daughter finally went to the DMV and passed both the motorcycle and automobile drivers test. They issued her a temporary paper car license and 6 month motorcycle permit. I was standing next to my daughter when the DMV representative said she would receive in the mail a permanent car license in 3-4 weeks but because she is under 21 she only gets a paper motorcycle paper permit for 6 months and then she would have to come back in and update her drivers license to include the motorcycle.

Five weeks later she hadn't received the car license so she called the DMV and they said if it hadn't been 6 weeks to be patient. It's been nearly 7 weeks now so she called the DMV again today. Now they tell her she will not receive an actual license until the six month motorcycle permit is finished. Of course both paper copies of the licenses and permit are only good for sixty days so every two months she has to go back to the DMV and get updated copies. What kind of crazy A$$ed bullhooky is that!?. If they would have told us up front the motorcycle part of the license was going to hold up the process by six months I'd have said forget it and she could gone in and tested for a motorcycle after she received an actual car drivers license. I don't know what the DMV is like where you live but everything I do there even with an appointment takes a few hours. End rant.

Back