HOMEBREW SWAP-O-RAMA #3 Lets try this again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whom to ship too

• Ship to whom you are recieving

• mix em all up

• dont care

Results are only viewable after voting.
Got a chance to try the pumpkin ale and the wheat that I received. Personally did not like the pumpkin but it had all the right stuff that would make it good.

The wheat on the other hand was excellent. My second favorite so far the chocolate milk stout being first. The wheat had good head. Nice clarity. It had a distinctive flavor I've not had before. Very drinkable. I still got a few more to try hopefully will get to them this weekend. I forgot to take pictures on both of these ones.

That wheat was brewed with raw Wheat from local farms and used calypso hops so either of these things could be the distinctive taste you're getting.

It's a family favorite at every event

I had the pleasure of trying the honeysuckle wine that was sent t me by nedvalton. I am not a wine drinker and have never had a wine that I would call "good". But I enjoyed this wine. It was a little boozy , but in a good way, and had a hint of sweetness on the back end.

I will be trying the beer, wine , and mead in the coming weeks and will post as I do.

That wheat was brewed with raw Wheat from local farms and used calypso hops so either of these things could be the distinctive taste you're getting.

It's a family favorite at every event

Mind sharing the recipe?
Been looking for a recipe to use some calypso in and im due for wheat.

CHeers!

I had the pleasure of trying the honeysuckle wine that was sent t me by nedvalton. I am not a wine drinker and have never had a wine that I would call "good". But I enjoyed this wine. It was a little boozy , but in a good way, and had a hint of sweetness on the back end.

I will be trying the beer, wine , and mead in the coming weeks and will post as I do.

Glad you enjoyed it. It was a test without a recipe to follow. Turned out nice and light. Hope you enjoy the rest and look forward to feedback

Mind sharing the recipe?
Been looking for a recipe to use some calypso in and im due for wheat.

CHeers!

Even though hops weren't added till 30 minutes, this was a 60 minute boil after mashing at 150 for 60 minutes

1402194249592.jpg

Terek,

How about a recipe for the black rye IPA. Sompols sent me A black double IPA (surly blakkr) and it was fantastic. It also was pretty well balanced with strong malts up front and strong hops at the end. Id love to give yours a shot.

9.5# 2-row
.5# 120L
.5# Carafa 3
.5# Cara-pils
2# rye

2oz belma at 60
1 oz of Belma/cascade at 15
1 oz of belma/cascade at 10
1 oz of belma/cascade at 5
.5 oz belma/cascade at flameout

mashed 4.06 gal at 152 f
fly sparged to reach 6.5 gal

I used a 6th generation of washed US-05 and all the water was hauled out of a creek in my turkey hunting spot.

OG was 1.066 and I got a brewhouse eff. of 73%

Forgot to take the picture but had terek's cider this afternoon. Crisp, dry cider the addition of tea adds an interesting twist. I might have to try tea in my next batch but maybe a touch less as it almost seemed to cover up some of the apple flavor but overall a very refreshing cidre

good to know. I used 6 bags of tea for a 3 gal batch. mabe 4 next time? i really want to clone a pumpkin spice one i made. i loved it but forgot the recipe. im kinda on a cider kick now and cant get enough;) i love experimenting with ingredients in one gal batches. just primaried one that hAS belgum candy sugar and coco nibs

sfgoat's last 3 beer reviews...

cherry beech smoked beer
cherrybeechsmoked.jpg
This a very good smoked beer. the smoke flavors are easy to spot in here. there is a smoked flavor throughout the first taste, it is not overbearing and quite enjoyable. balanced and refreshing. i personally would not change a thing.

Maibock...
maibock.jpg
This was my favorite of all the beers you sent. Using liberty hops definitely added something special to this beer. as the name on the recipe sheet states "Gold Winning Maibock" i have to agree. the best compliment i can give you is... i just brewed a 5 gallon batch this morning. thank you!

PB Oatmeal Stout..
pbstout.jpg

Ah what an awesome smelling beer. i had to split this bottle with my wife who absolutely loved it! i found it to be excellent. the PB jumps out at you from the first whiff, then you get a taste and the PB shouts here i am!!. then the coffee flavors kick in and what a blend of flavors your taste buds are sent on a rocket ride to the reese's plant. the carbonation is perfect and the mouthfeel and head/lacing created with the oatmeal takes this fabulous ale to new place at the top of the PB stout beers that are out there. i think this is very comparable to belching beavers PB milk stout, yours is lacking the lacto sweetness but the body and mouthfeel is about the same. Don't change a thing.

Thanks sfgoat for an opportunity to sample some really good beers and for the "new to me" taste of liberty hops. i gained some very useful insight that i will be using on my future brews, again thank you and i hope we can do this again sometime.

sfgoat's last 3 beer reviews...

cherry beech smoked beer
View attachment 204729
This a very good smoked beer. the smoke flavors are easy to spot in here. there is a smoked flavor throughout the first taste, it is not overbearing and quite enjoyable. balanced and refreshing. i personally would not change a thing.

Maibock...
View attachment 204730
This was my favorite of all the beers you sent. Using liberty hops definitely added something special to this beer. as the name on the recipe sheet states "Gold Winning Maibock" i have to agree. the best compliment i can give you is... i just brewed a 5 gallon batch this morning. thank you!

PB Oatmeal Stout..
View attachment 204731

Ah what an awesome smelling beer. i had to split this bottle with my wife who absolutely loved it! i found it to be excellent. the PB jumps out at you from the first whiff, then you get a taste and the PB shouts here i am!!. then the coffee flavors kick in and what a blend of flavors your taste buds are sent on a rocket ride to the reese's plant. the carbonation is perfect and the mouthfeel and head/lacing created with the oatmeal takes this fabulous ale to new place at the top of the PB stout beers that are out there. i think this is very comparable to belching beavers PB milk stout, yours is lacking the lacto sweetness but the body and mouthfeel is about the same. Don't change a thing.

Thanks sfgoat for an opportunity to sample some really good beers and for the "new to me" taste of liberty hops. i gained some very useful insight that i will be using on my future brews, again thank you and i hope we can do this again sometime.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear that they were well received. Willing to swap homebrew anytime.

I finally had a chance to try the rest of mine. This one is the cider. Very nice color. Had little too none carbonation and still very sweet. Had good flavor.

image.jpg

This is the hard lemonade. It was kinda the same as the cider. Had good color. No carbonation and very sweet. Had a good tartness to it. Not bad.

image.jpg

This is the Berliner. I didn't like this one very much. I've not had many sour beers so it's hard for me to compare this one. Had a haze to the color. Lightly carbonated. Definite sour taste.

image.jpg

And the last one is the strawberry tart. This was my third favorite out of the batch. This had a very nice color. It was over carbonated like noted. Had a pleasant strawberry flavor. I didn't pick up on the sour part of it. Had a medium body to it. This was very drinkable and a thirst quencher.

image.jpg

I finally had a chance to try the rest of mine. This one is the cider. Very nice color. Had little too none carbonation and still very sweet. Had good flavor.

As part
of the backsweetening I added concentrate back in to add more apple flavor to it

This is the hard lemonade. It was kinda the same as the cider. Had good color. No carbonation and very sweet. Had a good tartness to it. Not bad.

Both of these are stabilized and backsweetened so shouldn't have had any carbonation.

9.5# 2-row
.5# 120L
.5# Carafa 3
.5# Cara-pils
2# rye

2oz belma at 60

mashed 4.06 gal at 152 f

I used a 6th generation of washed US-05 and all the water was hauled out of a creek in my turkey hunting spot.

Thanks! I will probably brew this next.

9.5# 2-row
.5# 120L
.5# Carafa 3
.5# Cara-pils
2# rye

2oz belma at 60

mashed 4.06 gal at 152 f

I think I'll add carafa and 120 to my next grain order.... where you have hops listed as belma/cascade how did you do those additions

I think I'll add carafa and 120 to my next grain order.... where you have hops listed as belma/cascade how did you do those additions

I got lazy typers syndrome, the bill is split between the two. so one oz of belma/cascade is .5 oz of each added at same time.

Now for cmoewes' porter.

Aroma: definitely malty on the nose. I 'm getting a lot of caramel and chocolate aroma that smells amazing.

Appearance: clear with a tan head that lingered and laced the glass. A very attractive beer.

Flavor: very malty with lots of caramel. The chocolate is suttle as it should be imho. Very smooth drinking porter. Very little hop flavor or aroma . But the slight bitterness is there.
Mouthfeel: creamy and smooth is the only way I can describe this.

Overall. Very good, well balanced porter. I could easily drink this over and over again and I tend to stray from porters because most over do it on the chocolate malts but yours was delicious and the flavors lingered on the tongue. I tip my imaginary hat to you for a porter that I can enjoy.

1402460760012.jpg

I used the carafa mainly for color. I threw in the cara pils on a past clone of this because I just had em laying around. loved the effect on the head so much I continue to do it. one of those last minute "screw it, why not" moments that was well worth it

Now for cmoewes' porter.

Aroma: definitely malty on the nose. I 'm getting a lot of caramel and chocolate aroma that smells amazing.

Appearance: clear with a tan head that lingered and laced the glass. A very attractive beer.

Flavor: very malty with lots of caramel. The chocolate is suttle as it should be imho. Very smooth drinking porter. Very little hop flavor or aroma . But the slight bitterness is there.
Mouthfeel: creamy and smooth is the only way I can describe this.

Overall. Very good, well balanced porter. I could easily drink this over and over again and I tend to stray from porters because most over do it on the chocolate malts but yours was delicious and the flavors lingered on the tongue. I tip my imaginary hat to you for a porter that I can enjoy.

I would love to have the recipe for this one

SFGoat has classed up the reviews so I thought I should try to step up and be a little more thoruough.

MikePote Dry Irish Stout

Appearance: Very foamy upon opening but settled into the a thin amber head that laced the glass. Very light colored almost wasn't sure it was a stout until I tasted it.

Aroma: Smells of roast and some chocolate. No strong hop aroma, but a hint of the bitterness

Flavor: Malty with hints of chocolate.

Overall: Despite the strong foam up at first the carbonation seems pretty good. Mouth feel is a little thinner than I expect from a stout but still pretty good.

And now the picture

2014-06-11 21.10.52.jpg

This looks awesome, How do i join in for the next homebrew swap?! I want some feedback from people who also brew so i can improve since i have no one around me that can give me valid opinions. :D

This looks awesome, How do i join in for the next homebrew swap?! I want some feedback from people who also brew so i can improve since i have no one around me that can give me valid opinions. :D

It's easy! From time to time you'll see announcements for this or other types of swaps and you just sign right up! They will usually have a minimum post requirement that you already meet so you should be good to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here in a few weeks i will be getting the next one set up. ill announce the next swaps thread on this thread. I try and pm people that show interest in the next one as well

Here in a few weeks i will be getting the next one set up. ill announce the next swaps thread on this thread. I try and pm people that show interest in the next one as well

Pick me pick me! lol

I will have another batch ready by mid July , you can count me in I am actually getting a variety of brews ready .

I will defiantly participate again

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

Tonight I tried cmoewes' Kolsch:

Aroma: Pilsner malt and slight spicy in the nose from hops reminiscent of a pilsner Urquel.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and golden color with a thin head that dissipated quickly.

Flavor: Highlighted malt presence with light hop flavor and spicy. Esters are there but for the most part this is a very clean beer. Honestly everything about this beer screams pilsner urquel to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body. Very smooth. no hop bite and carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall: A fantastic kolsch that could easily be passed in the pilsner categories. This was a welcome beer after a long 16 hour day at work. please share the recipe as I may brew this soon.

IMG_0031.jpg

Finally, I am sad that this is the last of cmoewes' beers. Tonight I am drinking his rye Scottish ale.

Aroma: some earth yet slightly spicy hop aroma going on here but it definitely smells of a a Scottish ale. Malt forward with some alcohol esters.

Appearance: poured with a nice creamy head that lingered for a moment and then dissipated leaving behind some lacing. Slightly cloudy and brown in color with some red hue when held up to light.

Flavor: I'm not typically into Scottish ales because I'm not a huge fan of the alcohol esters normally associated with them but the rye really helped to balance that and bring it together in a way that I enjoy. This is a very flavorful and complex beer that balances well to make the complexities enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: creamy feel to it . I want to can this a medium body.

Overall: you are a very good brewery who has successfully shaken my beliefs about what I enjoy. I liked all of your beers including the styles that I typically stray away from. Thank you for this pleasant experience and I hope to swap with you again.

Finally, I am sad that this is the last of cmoewes' beers. Tonight I am drinking his rye Scottish ale.

Aroma: some earth yet slightly spicy hop aroma going on here but it definitely smells of a a Scottish ale. Malt forward with some alcohol esters.

Appearance: poured with a nice creamy head that lingered for a moment and then dissipated leaving behind some lacing. Slightly cloudy and brown in color with some red hue when held up to light.

Flavor: I'm not typically into Scottish ales because I'm not a huge fan of the alcohol esters normally associated with them but the rye really helped to balance that and bring it together in a way that I enjoy. This is a very flavorful and complex beer that balances well to make the complexities enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: creamy feel to it . I want to can this a medium body.

Overall: you are a very good brewery who has successfully shaken my beliefs about what I enjoy. I liked all of your beers including the styles that I typically stray away from. Thank you for this pleasant experience and I hope to swap with you again.

This brew was specifically made for my mom. Last year Dunedin Brewing in Florida and Terrapin in Georgia did a collaboration call RyeHeart. My mom is a huge rye beer fan and when she found out this wasn't a production beer was very sad. I did some research and talked to the owners at Dunedin and was able to glean that it was a scottish ale with 12% rye. So that's ultimately led to this beer.

It's 7% abv it's right on the edge between an 80 schilling and a Strong Scottish ale. Either way it's a big hit.

Glad you liked it and thanks for all the great notes.

Tonight I tried cmoewes' Kolsch:

Aroma: Pilsner malt and slight spicy in the nose from hops reminiscent of a pilsner Urquel.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and golden color with a thin head that dissipated quickly.

Flavor: Highlighted malt presence with light hop flavor and spicy. Esters are there but for the most part this is a very clean beer. Honestly everything about this beer screams pilsner urquel to me.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body. Very smooth. no hop bite and carbonation is perfect for the style.

Overall: A fantastic kolsch that could easily be passed in the pilsner categories. This was a welcome beer after a long 16 hour day at work. please share the recipe as I may brew this soon.

here it is

View attachment lawnmower kolsch.xml

cmoewos,

How about the rye scottish ale recipe? Scotch ale is my favorite type of beer and I really like rye pale ales and would love to combine the two. Thanks.

cmoewos,

How about the rye scottish ale recipe? Scotch ale is my favorite type of beer and I really like rye pale ales and would love to combine the two. Thanks.

Here it is. I research several different scotch ale recipes from various sources and combined them to get the main recipe. Then the only change I did was substitute rye for the base malt to get it to 15% of the grain bill.

I should add to this that due to unknown issues (I had just moved up to my new 10gallon mash tun and kettle) I missed my efficiency on this recipe by about 10 points. Calculated at 73% it should have had an OG of 1.076 (15.75# of grain) and I only got 1.066. So I finished out at 1.010 vs the calcualted 1.022 per the recipe calculation. This is on my re-brew list and now that I have my new gear dialed in a little better I will probably adjust to recipe a little to make the target OG 1.070 or so.

The more I think about it, the recipe as designed comes in at a (weak) Strong Scottish Ale but using the measured numbers it probably comes in closer to a 80 schilling. Seems like there's a gap in the BJCP styles between an Strong Export/80- and the Strong Scottish Ale. This beer is that gap ;)

View attachment Cather in the Rye Scotch Ale.xml

Latest posts

Back