HOMEBREW SWAP-O-RAMA #3 Lets try this again

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whom to ship too

• Ship to whom you are recieving

• mix em all up

• dont care

Results are only viewable after voting.
cmoewes,

Just a heads up the dead guy clone tastes nothing like dead guy but I really like it. On the hefe I used a half a jar of marmalade because I cheaped out on buying $6 worth of adjuncts. It turned out pretty orangey but it is ok.

I hope you enjoy. I will take all the feedback you can give, good or bad. If you dont like my beer feel free to let me know, you wont hurt my feelings.

Enjoy!

cmoewes,

Just a heads up the dead guy clone tastes nothing like dead guy but I really like it. On the hefe I used a half a jar of marmalade because I cheaped out on buying $6 worth of adjuncts. It turned out pretty orangey but it is ok.

I hope you enjoy. I will take all the feedback you can give, good or bad. If you dont like my beer feel free to let me know, you wont hurt my feelings.

Enjoy!

I've had several of them so far.

The hefe was a big of a gusher. Might have been shook up from travel or something. I liked the flavor of it.

The Wimpy Pale Ale was very good. Nice and drinkable,ver good.

I was going to get a dead guy from the local beer store because it didn't taste like I remembered so I'm glad ou mentioned it.

So far all of them have been very good, I wouldn't be concerned with your brewing skills.

jtd_419, your package should arrive today. I am going on my "memorial weekend" camping trip today trew sun. as we never do anything on actual memorial day, too crazy around here. so I will explain what I remember putting in there.
the oat stout was kind of a failed brew that I didn't like the final product, so I threw it in my oak barrel for a few months. it isn't any prize winner, but I enjoy what it turned out to be.

the black rye ipa is a brew that I make all the time, its a house fav. this particular one I gathered all the water from a spring by my turkey hunting spot, at about 8500 feet up and mabe 50 feet where it comes out of the mountain. I think it really turned out good.

the pumkin ale is a clone I found for dog fish heads punkin ale, but I never follow someone elses recipe, so I changed the hops to cascade and used a 5th generation us-05 that is my "house strain" I liked it a lot fresh, but it seemed to have lost what it had over the last month. mabe a few more months? I did cellar a few of these to try at xmas.

the orange wheat I made for swambo and she doesn't drink much, hence why its so old. I really don't like wheat beers all that much, but I cracked one of these on the boat yesterday and really enjoyed it. you have the last one.

and the cider is really nothing special. my house blend of tree top, black tea, and brown sugar. I try and keep it in constant rotation, as I love cider. most gets drank green, and a few put in the cellar every batch. I would have given you an older bottle, but my mother in law would freak if I didn't bring some on this camping trip, so I be tapped out. I actually had a 3 gal batch of that particular one and its gone now. you have the last one.

all these recipes are all grain and ones I created, except for the punkin ale clone, butmi tweeked it. hope you enjoy!

Black tea in a cider sounds interesting. You "dry hop" it? Or brew tea and blend it?

I've been waiting all day for you to get it. Those are my Saint Paul vanilla porters. It was all I had on tap right now. They are 4% abv. 60 ibu. My efficiency was a little low on that one so it didn't have the body I was hoping. But it is very refreshing and easy drinking.

Finally was able to try one of these bad boys out last night! Let me tell you, the flavor was definitely good! Light carbonation, great color and smell. You can definitely get a hint of vanilla in both flavor and smell. Very little head.

You mentioned that it was all you had on tap right now, did you fill from a keg into the bottles? That may explain the light carbonation. I'm guessing thats normal for this style of beer? Either way it was really good. I am having a lake party this weekend and plan on sharing two of the other three bottles, the last one is all mine!

Black tea in a cider sounds interesting. You "dry hop" it? Or brew tea and blend it?

I boil a bit of water to dissolve the brown sugar, then "brew" the tea bags in that. pour it in the carboy and pitch yeast. the tea adds some tannins that help the cider balance. you don't get much tea flavor. now that you mention it, I may try to "dry hop" some at the end of fermentation to get a bit of tea flavor

My tea beer, I never dry hopped and get plenty of tea although its a very light grain and hop bill

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401480776.367795.jpg
Hey thanks to wilda22 for what was waiting for me when I got home today(what should have been an easy 4 day week was a beast!). Can't wait to try the homebrew(feedback to follow) and awesome commercial treats which I've not had before.
Thanks dude and happy Friday to all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Awesome package from terek waiting when I got home today

Spiced cider
Barrel aged oat stout
Rye ipa
Orange wheat
Punkin ale x2

1401489589140.jpg

Yes I did fill from a keg so that's why it's a little low on carb. It's the first time I've made that recipe and also like it very much.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401576818.949619.jpg
Orange wheat from wilda22...great beer! Especially today when it was 85 and humid as heck! (I think we had snow a week ago!) Light and easy drinking....perfect! Thanks so much!

Terek's black rye ipa is amazing. I don't care much for hop bomb ipas and this definitely isn't, a balance between hops and malt profile that let's the rye shine through

1401580188051.jpg

sfgoat's Kolsch
kolsch.jpg
The use of liberty hops added a very nice touch to this great style of beer, well balanced and tasty, this bottle was not very carbonated so my only suggestion is to up the carb. level a bit other than that i do believe i'll be using some liberty in my next kolsch. thanks for the inspiration.

sfgoat's yoopers cream ale
yoopers cream ale.jpg
this is a very good cream ale. all the style points were hit dead on. and the use of s-04 added something extra that was most enjoyable. great job!!

sfgoat's cali common
cali common.jpg
wow this is tasty. again the use of liberty hops is a pleasant addition. i think your version has lots more character than any other C.C. that i've tried. i must confess that i had an anchor steam beer right after sampling yours and i honestly would rather had another of yours.:D

Glad you liked them coyote68. You tried the kolsch before I did but I just opened on e and I too have low carbonation. So I'll adjust for next time. Thanks.

This is what I got from JTd_419. Got a lemonade, pumpkin, chocolate milk stout, cider, strawberry tart, saison, wheat, and a Berliner.

image.jpg

So far I've had the chocolate milk stout. Very full bodied. Real good chocolate flavor, something I've not been able to get in my beers. Low bitterness. Good carbonation. And a good head. I liked it very much. It was still cloudy but being a dark beer you can't tell. I can't wait to try the next one. Thank you very much.

image.jpg

Once again, the day after I get the package sent out I see my print outs still sitting on the table.

So when they arrive you'll only know each by the writing on the cap.

1. K = Kolsch (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-brewing-rooney-lake-lawnmower-kolsch/689263)
2. Rye = Rye Scottish Ale (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-sam-on-rye/599790)
3. Bit = English Bitter (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-don-t-be-bitter-steve/567643)
4. IPA = Surly Furious IPA Tribute (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-kind-of-pissed-off-ipa/534218)
5. Por = 1744 BYO Porter (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-1744-byo-porter/528705)
6. B = Surly Bender Inspired Brown Ale (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-this-nut-brown-ale/534216)

Once again, the day after I get the package sent out I see my print outs still sitting on the table.

So when they arrive you'll only know each by the writing on the cap.

1. K = Kolsch (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-brewing-rooney-lake-lawnmower-kolsch/689263)
2. Rye = Rye Scottish Ale (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-sam-on-rye/599790)
3. Bit = English Bitter (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-don-t-be-bitter-steve/567643)
4. IPA = Surly Furious IPA Tribute (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-kind-of-pissed-off-ipa/534218)
5. Por = 1744 BYO Porter (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-1744-byo-porter/528705)
6. B = Surly Bender Inspired Brown Ale (https://untappd.com/b/mobyberg-pico-brewing-this-nut-brown-ale/534216)

Just got my haul from cmoewes. Can't wait to try them.

1401748127726.jpg

Got my brew from Pointcity-homebrew. Thanks and can't wait to try them this week. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401749230.136712.jpg

I've had several of them so far.

The hefe was a big of a gusher. Might have been shook up from travel or something. I liked the flavor of it.

The Wimpy Pale Ale was very good. Nice and drinkable,ver good.

I was going to get a dead guy from the local beer store because it didn't taste like I remembered so I'm glad ou mentioned it.

So far all of them have been very good, I wouldn't be concerned with your brewing skills.

Glad to hear that you have liked them so far! The hefe was probably just a gusher. Not sure if I rushed it to bottles or what but about half of them are over carbed. I probably did a bad job stirring the sugar. Looking forward to feedback on the rest.

Terek's black rye ipa is amazing. I don't care much for hop bomb ipas and this definitely isn't, a balance between hops and malt profile that let's the rye shine through

thank you, that is exactly the profile I was looking for. this beer is a friend/family favorit that I keep in rotation. everyone loves it, but its nice to here it from someone that knows what there talking about. out of all my beers, this is the one I really was hoping you would like,

Just opened the saison. Nice creamy head, well carbonated. Has a bit of a chill haze. Good malty flavor and a hint of grape fruit. Also has a little alcohol burn to it. Good flavor really like it.

image.jpg

Drank the orange wheat last night and while I am not a fan of orange in beers, very drinkable and swmbo loved it

Indeed, sitting there glaring at me as I pulled into the garage. Thank you so much. Here are the contents

Dragon Milk IMP Stout
Stars and Stripes American will Ale w/ blueberries , strawberries , an raspberries

Southern Pride barrel aged English barley wine

Midnight pirate rum barrel aged IMP Stout

Hulk Smash smash barley wine with golden promise and EKG

4 year old mead with citra

Muscadine concord wine

Honeysuckle wine

4 year old mead with cascade

Locals:

Straight to ale monkeynaut IPA which is great

Good people IPA I haven't tried it but the brewery is pretty sweet

A Hop City growler to go filled with Good People Snake Handler DIPA which is also amazing .

Adam, seriously I appreciate it and will contact you the next time I am headed that way which may be soon.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1401841328.107222.jpg

Sent from the future using neurological impulses.

First up was cmoewes' bitter.

At first I thought this one might have missed the mark as a bitter but turns out it was just too cold to taste all the flavors. Cold it had all the markings of a mild but as it warmed a few degrees the bitter came through.

Overall:
Appearance: moussey (i think that's a word) head that lingered and left lacing on the glass. Bad some chill haze. Dark caramel color reminiscent of a n English mild.

Aroma: malty with some caramel and earthy/floral hop notes that I tend to associate with a goldings or fuggle variety.

Flavor:very malty with mild complexity on target for style. Definitely earthiness from hops. Low esters with slightly fruity finish.

Mouthfeel: bready with a medium-heavy body. Pleasantly bitter.

Overall: a very enjoyable beer that showed great brewing technique. In a competition I would have scored this around a 40 most likely.

At first I thought this one might have missed the mark as a bitter but turns out it was just too cold to taste all the flavors. Cold it had all the markings of a mild but as it warmed a few degrees the bitter came through.

Overall:
Appearance: moussey (i think that's a word) head that lingered and left lacing on the glass. Bad some chill haze. Dark caramel color reminiscent of a n English mild.

Aroma: malty with some caramel and earthy/floral hop notes that I tend to associate with a goldings or fuggle variety.

Flavor:very malty with mild complexity on target for style. Definitely earthiness from hops. Low esters with slightly fruity finish.

Overall: a very enjoyable beer that showed great brewing technique. In a competition I would have scored this around a 40 most likely.
Here is the picture.

1401859323442.jpg

Overall:

Wow, thanks for the great notes. That beer was based on the recipe from a BYO interview with Fuller's brewing Director (https://byo.com/equipment/item/2318-fuller’s-the-pride-of-london)

The numbers came out to OG 1.050 FG 1.012 with an IBU around 35.

The second of cmoewes' beers was a black ipa.

Aroma: very hop forward with a citrus punch to it.

Appearance: dark brown but not quite black. Nice creamy head that lingered and laced my glass.

Flavor: had some caramel malt notes and possibly special roast?. Dominating hop flavor, bitterness was on point for style. Hop flavor and aroma are definitely the highlights here.

Mouthfeel: creamy med-heavy body with good carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed the beer and I would drink it again. The only thing I would change if I were brewing it would be to not completely mask the base grains with specialty malts. I think it would have given the hops a more well-rounded flavor. Otherwise I think it was great. In a competition I would have given this a 39.

The second of cmoewes' beers was a black ipa.

Aroma: very hop forward with a citrus punch to it.

Appearance: dark brown but not quite black. Nice creamy head that lingered and laced my glass.

Flavor: had some caramel malt notes and possibly special roast?. Dominating hop flavor, bitterness was on point for style. Hop flavor and aroma are definitely the highlights here.

Mouthfeel: creamy med-heavy body with good carbonation.

Overall: I enjoyed the beer and I would drink it again. The only thing I would change if I were brewing it would be to not completely mask the base grains with specialty malts. I think it would have given the hops a more well-rounded flavor. Otherwise I think it was great. In a competition I would have given this a 39.

Here is the pic. I keep forgetting to add it.

1401945004496.jpg

Third in the lineup is cmoewes' brown ale.

I actually didn't mean to grab this one as I thought I was grabbing one of mine. I am sick so I didn't want to offer tasting notes on a beer until it cleared but by the time I realized what beer it was it was already opened and poured. So here goes:

Aroma: apparent caramel malt with something else in the nose. Maybe special b or some other dark roast. Malt is the dominant aroma here and little to no hop aroma which is on point with the style.

Appearance: dark brown with a nice head that dissipated within a few moments leaving some lace on my glass. Some chill haze but nothing you would lose points over in a competition.

Flavor: very caramel with some nice hop bitterness that you don't always get in a brown. I think I detected some biscuit or victory which is a complement to the style. Low on hop flavor but that is to be expected. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel: creamy and bitter. Full bodied. Nice on the palette.

Overall: my notes may be off as I am sick but from what I can tell this was an excellent brown. Lots of malt complexity without going overboard and the bitterness was quite a pleasant surprise. This was a fantastic beer that I wouldn't mind having the recipe for. I would enjoy this in the evenings on my porch with a pipe or during the chilly nights by the fire. In a competition I would have given this at least a 45. Well done. Don't change this one , ever.

I actually didn't mean to grab this one as I thought I was grabbing one of mine. I am sick so I didn't want to offer tasting notes on a beer until it cleared but by the time I realized what beer it was it was already opened and poured. So here goes:

Aroma: apparent caramel malt with something else in the nose. Maybe special b or some other dark roast. Malt is the dominant aroma here and little to no hop aroma which is on point with the style.

Appearance: dark brown with a nice head that dissipated within a few moments leaving some lace on my glass. Some chill haze but nothing you would lose points over in a competition.

Flavor: very caramel with some nice hop bitterness that you don't always get in a brown. I think I detected some biscuit or victory which is a complement to the style. Low on hop flavor but that is to be expected. Nicely done.

Mouthfeel: creamy and bitter. Full bodied. Nice on the palette.

Overall: my notes may be off as I am sick but from what I can tell this was an excellent brown. Lots of malt complexity without going overboard and the bitterness was quite a pleasant surprise. This was a fantastic beer that I wouldn't mind having the recipe for. I would enjoy this in the evenings on my porch with a pipe or during the chilly nights by the fire. In a competition I would have given this at least a 45. Well done. Don't change this one , ever.

And the pic of course.

1402014388374.jpg

thank you, that is exactly the profile I was looking for. this beer is a friend/family favorit that I keep in rotation. everyone loves it, but its nice to here it from someone that knows what there talking about. out of all my beers, this is the one I really was hoping you would like,

Terek,

How about a recipe for the black rye IPA. Sompols sent me A black double IPA (surly blakkr) and it was fantastic. It also was pretty well balanced with strong malts up front and strong hops at the end. Id love to give yours a shot.

Here you go

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1.00 tbsp PH 5.2 Stabilizer (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
7.75 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 62.8 %
1.90 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 3 15.4 %
0.75 lb Crystal, Medium (Simpsons) (55.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.1 %
0.75 lb Oats, Golden Naked (Simpsons) (10.0 SRM) Grain 5 6.1 %
0.75 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 6 6.1 %
0.25 lb Pale Chocolate Malt (250.0 SRM) Grain 7 2.0 %
0.20 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 8 1.6 %
0.75 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.20 %] - Boil 60. Hop 9 36.1 IBUs
1.00 Items Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 15.0 mins) Fining 10 -
2.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 11 2.0 IBUs
1.0 pkg British Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1335) [124. Yeast 12 -

View attachment brown ale.bsmx

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1402092009.368857.jpg
A darn good ipa from wilda22...and much needed on this Friday afternoon! Not much of a reviewer but here goes...great nose :) really the hop smell is outstanding! And the first sip they come through but there isn't that hop bomb aftertaste. Great color and good carb. Whatever you're doing keep it up, it's a very good beer and easy to drink. Thanks so much for sharing.

Forgot to take the picture but had terek's cider this afternoon. Crisp, dry cider the addition of tea adds an interesting twist. I might have to try tea in my next batch but maybe a touch less as it almost seemed to cover up some of the apple flavor but overall a very refreshing cidre

Got a chance to try the pumpkin ale and the wheat that I received. Personally did not like the pumpkin but it had all the right stuff that would make it good.

The wheat on the other hand was excellent. My second favorite so far the chocolate milk stout being first. The wheat had good head. Nice clarity. It had a distinctive flavor I've not had before. Very drinkable. I still got a few more to try hopefully will get to them this weekend. I forgot to take pictures on both of these ones.

Back