Birthday Club Beer Swap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imasickboy

Drinkasaurus extraordinarius
Reaction score
This is a birthday beer swap. It's your opportunity to make your online drinking buddy's birthday a bit more awesome, while making your own floccing amazing! It will be limited to groups of 12. Once twelve members have joined, additional groups of twelve can be created, and will be completely autonomous of any other groups.

The premise is simple, you send out eleven small packages of beer throughout the year, preceding the recipient's birthday, and in return, you'll receive eleven small packages of beer leading up to your birthday.

So how does it work?
- If you're interested in participating, post your interest in this thread!
- Once you have been confirmed as a participant, the group leader will collect names, birthdays, addresses, and style likes/dislikes for all participants, and disseminate them to all members of that group of twelve.
- The group leader will send a message to all senders about a month prior to the recipient's birthday, and the senders will then ship a small box of beer to the birthday guy/gal.

Rules, there must be rules..
- Continental US residents only
- Must be of legal drinking age

Participants must meet the following requirements:
- A HBT member for 1 year and minimum of 4 iTrader rating. All trades must be 100% positive.
- A member of at least one prior FotD trade, with 100% positive iTrader rating.

Package guidelines:
- Roughly 72-88 ounces of commercial beer. No less, but preferably no more. Remember, you have to send ELEVEN packages out. It's in your best interest to keep your packages within the guidelines.
- Sender is responsible for replacing lost, destroyed, confiscated packages.

Keep in mind, by joining, you are committing to sending ELEVEN six packs of beer. Shipping is floccing expensive. Beer is often worse. If for any reason you cannot fulfill your commitment, don't just disappear, contact the group leader and let them know. Sh*t happens, and it happens to all of us.

Note: I will only lead group ONE. Additional groups will have to operate on their own.

Cheers!

Last edited:
After year one, we start a new one. If people have to drop out before all of their boxes can be sent, (which we're hoping does not happen), we'll find a way to adjust. This is a commitment to shipping eleven boxes of beer. It's a big deal. I encourage folks not to sign up if they may not be able to complete their commitment.

No. In a perfect world it would be that way, but I'm good with shipping a few boxes in the same month, since it means there will be other months I don't have to send any.

Since it's just starting, all the rules are still flexible. Whatever suits, IMO.

Any thoughts on everyone sending (and receiving!) 5/6 boxes rather than 11? I might get run off for suggesting it but 880 oz of beer is a lot to drink received at once (6.9 gallons) - especially for styles with a shelf life.

Alternatively, could celebrate half birthdays!

Any thoughts on everyone sending (and receiving!) 5/6 boxes rather than 11? I might get run off for suggesting it but 880 oz of beer is a lot to drink received at once (6.9 gallons) - especially for styles with a shelf life.

Alternatively, could celebrate half birthdays!
I know several here who would likely lay waste to 11 six packs in less than three weeks. :D

However, you do have a very valid point. Perhaps we split the participants into groups of say 6-8? What say everyone? I'm easy. I'll either drink a ton, or drink less. My vote will go with the majority.

Also, I'll be starting a collection to buy @Thorrak a larger beer fridge for Christmas. ;)

I know several here who would likely lay waste to 11 six packs in less than three weeks. :D

However, you do have a very valid point. Perhaps we split the participants into groups of say 6-8? What say everyone? I'm easy. I'll either drink a ton, or drink less. My vote will go with the majority.

Also, I'll be starting a collection to buy @Thorrak a larger beer fridge for Christmas. ;)

The fridge isn’t the problem - I need to find a bigger house/apartment!

I’m for leaving it as is. There can always be an additional group setup. Right now we have 10 out of 12 spots filled expecting to ship 11 packages. I’m looking at this birthday exchange as my opportunity to receive packages from a bunch of members whom I never get to choose in the FOTD because they are already gone and I’m willing to ship 11 packages for the opportunity to receive a box from them.

If the number of participants are lowered from the current list how do you plan on separating the group?

As far as 6.9 gallons of beer with a shelf life. I love a challenge! :cask:

That’s just my opinion.

100% in!! What a great idea @imasickboy. Could we do optional glasswear in lieu of a beer if we so choose?
Personally, I'd consider glassware "extra", but I'm not making the rules, I'm just facilitating this trade. I'll vote with the majority.

Currently in:
@imasickboy
@fourfarthing
@TBC
@TheEagleRising
@jaymosbeershack
@j1laskey
@jimyson
@HopsNTails
@wstbrewing
@mullet6577
@MC82

We need one more person. @Thorrak are you in?

This weekend I convinced @froggyfrog to join if we really needed one more, but he would definitely prefer someone else take the spot.

I'm still drinking the beer @afro_lou sent from two FOTDs ago.

Side note - it may be blasphemy, but Henhouse Brewing's IPAs > Pliny. Honestly, all of their beers are delicious.

Consecration though is FANTASTIC.
I've had a couple dipas that I prefer to pte, but it's one of those beers you gotta try at least once. I think Trillium and treehouse put out dipas I like more, but I can only get what I can get. Pliney beats most though :)

I've had a couple dipas that I prefer to pte, but it's one of those beers you gotta try at least once. I think Trillium and treehouse put out dipas I like more, but I can only get what I can get. Pliney beats most though :)

Wandering around GABF, we kept comparing all the D/TIPAs and NEIPAs back to the NE IPAs we can get at Finback. I'd say we found Finback's to be better than at least 90% of the ones we tried. Damn good beer (even if I keep joking that all their NEIPAs taste the same)

Oh lawdy, what the hell are you bastards getting me into...

This does sound pretty awesome, though... But, to be honest, and as many of you already know, I’m freaking exceptional at shipping on time... that said, I’d be down if we did a split kinda thing, maybe shipping every two months?

Back