Hello from Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justinmcdevitt

Reaction score
Hello My name is Justin and Im a homebrewer,

wait this isn't AA (not knocking it here :), just poking fun)

I have brewed a few extract batches and now I'm ready to learn more so I can teach others :mug: , so thats when the forum come in

I'm located in Monroe, MI and always looking for people to share knowledge with (and a bit of home brew)

Welcome Justin . I live in Brownstown and would love to find a partner to brew with , none of my friends are interested at all . ( except to drink mine ) .
Good luck and have fun !

Glade I found a friendly brew forum (granted it is the second one I joined and the first one I posted on :) )

sounds good to me, I have my new keggel that I have almost finished (still have to put the ball valve on)

I work in brownstown (actualy there right now :) nothing like being productive at work)

justinmcdevitt said:
...I have my new keggel that I have almost finished...

Kegel?!?:p

Oh you mean Keggle!

LOL!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm actaully making my keggles next week.:D

talleymonster said:
Kegel?!?:p

Oh you mean Keggle!

LOL!

Welcome to the forum!

I'm actaully making my keggles next week.:D

sorry I'm a bad speller and a 5 year community college student too (relation you decide:drunk: )

justinmcdevitt said:
sorry I'm a bad speller and a 5 year community college student too (relation you decide:drunk: )

Sorry, it wasn't necessarily a poke at your spelling...I'm just a pervert. I thought I saw the word "Kegel" and I had to say something! :cross:

talleymonster said:
Sorry, it wasn't necessarily a poke at your spelling...I'm just a pervert. I thought I saw the word "Kegel" and I had to say something! :cross:

its all good, I like to make cracks on myself, so its all good, i belive I heard the phrase "relax, have a homebrew" (sure did hate reading that over and over in a certin book)

:D

and I do belive I had keggel not kegel which is something totaly different:cross:

QUOTE=Jim Karr]Yet another Michigander that loves real beer!!! Welcome to HBT.....I'm on the west side of the state, between Kazoo and Benton Harbor.[/QUOTE]

I missed your post ;) sorry man, kazoo hum, I happen to be drinking a kazoo stout right now (I needed something to cook with, and well I like bells :) ) and I have 3 left after cooking and 1 at dinner, that means 2 left to just enjoy as I watch a movie :)

POLISHALE said:
welcome, michigan the home brew state

you know I have noticed that, especialy (sp?) when I checked out a recent issuse of the great lakes brewing news, and dang does michigan show every one up, I belive it goes Michigan, wisconson, and New York (you know I wonder if there is something in our blood didn't these three states help keep America wet during the dry days of proabition?) useless fact for you all :)

Indeed, MI is a lot more of a brew-friendly state than I first expected. Welcome, it's always the more the merrier here!

RadicalEd said:
Indeed, MI is a lot more of a brew-friendly state than I first expected. Welcome, it's always the more the merrier here!

well I think we should keep learning and keep teaching, that way michigan can be known as the homebrew capital (apparently we are loosing the auto capital title :( that makes me sad)

anywho, thanks to everyone that says welcome, hope to be around a long time, learn alot, and bring my knowledge to the forum (limited but hey I'm a quick learner)

:mug:

hey what esle is there to do up north ;)

you have homebrew, and drink homebrew, and talk about homebrewing on the forums (I guess theres some snow removal in there too)

quick question since I couldn't find it while just glancing ove the site, is there a section of forums that is dedicated to the different regions of the county (and the the world)?

Because a Great Lakes Region would be nice, that way local events could be posted, or say one of us needs help or would like to host a brew day

:)

so.. anything like that?

hum, I think a regional thing would be be nice that way we don
't have to search through all the post from across the country, and we could also post up what we have for sale that needs to be local pick up

just an Idea

Howdy from another new MI homebrewer (and HBT member). It does seem like there are quite a few HBS around here, which is great.

Welcome aboard! Seems to be a lot of Michiganders on here.

I'll actually be in Monroe County this week, lots of good beer there in MI. :rockin: Lookin' forward to making a beer run at Anderson's and drinking some beers in Ann Arbor.

Cheers!

I have noticed the good beer fact :) might want to leave monroe though, we don't even have a homebrew shop (well there are some off us-23 but thats a haul for me)

I'll be in ann arbor on friday for oktoberfest (wish I could go to munich, but sadly I have school (though I did go to bamberg to tast some true smoked beer last year, which is what started my love of beer (well good beer))

enjoy your stay, and don't forget to pick up some bells to take home with you

Speaking of Ann Arbor, welcome from a home brewer from that fair city.

Michigan is well represented here. This is a good site and you will learn lots.

Wow, I didn't realize there were so Michiganders here. Anyway, here's a welcome from the Lansing area...and a banana dance to boot :ban:

apperntly we are very well represented in michigan,

hey brian you been to the arbor brewing company oktoberfest? (this weekend I'm planing on being there)

Unfortunately not. Should be fun though. Arbor brewing is a great place - Good beer and good food.

justinmcdevitt said:
might want to leave monroe though, we don't even have a homebrew shop (well there are some off us-23 but thats a haul for me)

Not much choice there, since my wife's parents' house is in Monroe County (Petersburg). ;) They're not too far from US-23, what homebrew shops are off US-23?

I'll be in ann arbor on friday for oktoberfest (wish I could go to munich, but sadly I have school

That's my Plan B...my wife has already made it clear that we're going to Cedar Point on Friday night, but should that fail I'm heading to Ann Arbor. Never miss a trip to Arbor Brewing either. :D

enjoy your stay, and don't forget to pick up some bells to take home with you

Thanks, I always stop and grab some before I head out. :rockin:

FireBrewer said:
Not much choice there, since my wife's parents' house is in Monroe County (Petersburg). ;) They're not too far from US-23, what homebrew shops are off US-23?

That's my Plan B...my wife has already made it clear that we're going to Cedar Point on Friday night, but should that fail I'm heading to Ann Arbor. Never miss a trip to Arbor Brewing either. :D

Thanks, I always stop and grab some before I head out. :rockin:

Theres one in dundee, I can't think of the name off the top of my head but it is in the yellow pages, haven't been there, I do know it is in downtown dundee,

honesly I would take ceder point over oktoberfest in AA but I'm still young ;) and live close enough to go to AA on saterday too

Yeah, the shop in Dundee (the name of which I also forget) is supposed to be really good. Apparently, a couple of old-timers run it, and they're supposed to really know their stuff.

I never heard anything about the shop, but I guess I'll have to check it out,
did a quick seach and found the info on it:
Home Winery and Supply Company
208 Main Street
Dundee, MI 48131
(734) 529-3296
store hours are: 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. on Saturdays, and closed on Sundays
web site http://www.homewinery.com/

My friend goes to the shop in Dundee (he's into wine making). He seems happy with them. I'll be heading there one of these weekends to check it out.

BrianP said:
My friend goes to the shop in Dundee (he's into wine making). He seems happy with them. I'll be heading there one of these weekends to check it out.

have you tried ubrew in yipsi? wondering how they are (though there prices seem a bit pricey, I think I'm going to check them out tomorrow (found some homebrew stuff on craigslist that I'm picking up tomorrow in yipsi :) )

They're nice folks at U-Brew. Prices are a little high, but they're helpful and happy to answer questions.

Adventures in homebrewing (www.homebrewing.org) in Taylor is my favorite, but it's a half hour or more away from ann arbor, so I've gotta really want to go. Can't pop down for another vial of yeast on brew day or anything like that... which is where the Beer Depot comes in for me. :)

I would have to say adventures is my brew shop, 20 min from work (and yes I have made a run there on my 30 min lunch (I love when my boss is on vacation and I can turn a 30 min lunch into a 3 hour homedepot, adventure in hombrewing, subway run)
I use to go to the beerdepot in aa then relized they know jack (or at least the 3 times I went there), then I found adventures, now I send all my friends there (my boy that lives in alma even use's them)

I've not been to many of them yet - i'm a n00b and haven't had the time to explore. I did stop by the Beer Depot in Ann Arbor and wasn't very impressed. Lots of beer on hand (that's for sure) but the home brew stuff seemed like it was an afterthought. The guy working there wasn't very talkative.

There is one in Livonia that wouldn't be too far from my work - I may stop there during lunch some day. The adventures in homebrewing appears to be the best one in metro detroit, but it's a hike for me. I'll probably visit the Ypsi and Dundee ones too.

If any fellow Michiganders have any feedback about the SE Michigan ones, I'm interested in your feedback / experience.

I'll let you know how I feel about ubrew tomorrow (as long as I have time to stop by) and I have to say adventures is the best I have been too and I have heard that from a few other guys as well

BrianP said:
If any fellow Michiganders have any feedback about the SE Michigan ones, I'm interested in your feedback / experience.

Not that its "close" to you, but if you're ever in the area, check out Hopman's in Waterford. Rick is a kick ass guy with a pretty good selection that will be even better in a week as he moves 2 doors down, into his bigger store!

Latest posts

Back