Hello from Brazil - Any other female brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you should move the 45 minute addition to later in the boil. The 45 minutes would not make any good flavor and aroma contribution and would just create more bitterness.

Hey everyone, I'm sorry I've been AFK today, big day at work.

I came up with a recipe for tomorrow and I was wondering if there's someone out there who can check it out to see if it's a good one:

I want to brew a hoppy pale ale using some of the stuff that a friend donated to me. So it should go as follows:

Type: All Grain
Date: 04/05/2014
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Camila Gadelha
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Abbey
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (45 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

======

Does that make sense? Hehe.

If you want a hoppy pale ale, I'd take out the 45 minute hops addition, and do this:

1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min)
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50%] (5 min)

Hops oils are isomerized during the boil, so the longer hops are boiled the more bittering units they provide, and the less flavor and aroma. By breaking them into a 60/15/5 addition schedule, you'd have bittering/flavor/aroma. A 45 minute addition would provide bitterness and not hoppy flavor or aroma.

I hope that helps!

So I spent this entire morning buying stuff and getting everything ready. Bought a new Mash Tun with Bazooka Screen, bought Cascade Leafs for the Dry Hop, bought ice, the whole thing.

It's 3pm and I was boiling my water for the mash, it got to the right temperature, I threw the grains and started to stir.

Until I realized I hadn't attached the Bazooka. =/

Lost all the grains and don't have a mill here at home, so no brewing for me today. I'm all kinds of upset at myself right now.

So I spent this entire morning buying stuff and getting everything ready. Bought a new Mash Tun with Bazooka Screen, bought Cascade Leafs for the Dry Hop, bought ice, the whole thing.

It's 3pm and I was boiling my water for the mash, it got to the right temperature, I threw the grains and started to stir.

Lost all the grains and don't have a mill here at home, so no brewing for me today. I'm all kinds of upset at myself right now.

Bummer, chalk it up to one of those learning experiences I mentioned earlier. I forgot the diptube in my mash tun one time and since I run a rims system I didn't find out until my flow stopped. After a few minutes of scratching my head I realized what I had done and decided there wasn't much I could do until everything cooled down the next day. My system also utilizes 1/2" piping that I had to take apart piece by piece and had to shove a hose up against each section to flush all the stuck grain free.

It will get easier, it's like second nature to me now.

Bummer, chalk it up to one of those learning experiences I mentioned earlier. I forgot the diptube in my mash tun one time and since I run a rims system I didn't find out until my flow stopped. After a few minutes of scratching my head I realized what I had done and decided there wasn't much I could do until everything cooled down the next day. My system also utilizes 1/2" piping that I had to take apart piece by piece and had to shove a hose up against each section to flush all the stuck grain free.

It will get easier, it's like second nature to me now.

Haha, yeah. I guess it is. But hey, at least I got to test most of my equipment, found a place to mill, got some cool new gear and have a recipe ready for the next time I get to do it. Also, that's probably a mistake I'll NEVER make again. :rockin:

All you have to do is dump the mess into a big container like a clean trash can, a few pots, whatever- rinse out the MLT and attach the bazooka screen and then throw the mess back in the MLT.

You may need to add a few quarts of boiling water to get back up to temperature, but don't give up. This is an easy fix!

All you have to do is dump the mess into a big container like a clean trash can, a few pots, whatever- rinse out the MLT and attach the bazooka screen and then throw the mess back in the MLT.

You may need to add a few quarts of boiling water to get back up to temperature, but don't give up. This is an easy fix!

And this is why Yooper doesn't have any stories that begin with 'And then I shoved my bare hands into the mashtun...'

And this is why Yooper doesn't have any stories that begin with 'And then I shoved my bare hands into the mashtun...'

Oh, I have done that. Once.

Fortunately, I'm smart enough to not have done it twice. :D

I don't know what that is in celsius, but 153 degrees in farenheit is flippin' hot, in case you were wondering.

I ALMOST got there and decided to do this. But I was afraid that if I did it and the wort wasn't good I'd lose all my pretty hops. Since I have this HUGE bag of out-of-date grains that I got as a donation, I thought I'd rather save the hops and ditch the grains and try again tomorrow.

Oh, I have done that. Once.

Fortunately, I'm smart enough to not have done it twice. :D

I don't know what that is in celsius, but 153 degrees in farenheit is flippin' hot, in case you were wondering.

Hahaha, that's about 67C and it's WAY too hot.

It happened to me a few times until I figured out what was wrong, rule of thumb, don't start drinking until your first hop addition. I haven't forgot it since.

It happened to me a few times until I figured out what was wrong, rule of thumb, don't start drinking until your first hop addition. I haven't forgot it since.

WORST part is: I was completely sober. I hadn't had a single beer.

WORST part is: I was completely sober. I hadn't had a single beer.

I think we found the problem. You need to appease the brewing gods.

For me, today was a Wee Heavy brew day, but the drinking along with it was heavier. I think we were just replacing the beer we drank rather than making more...

Aw MAN! I'm sorry that happened to you, Camila.

Well as you say - that's a mistake you're not likely to make again.

If we could just all learn from EACH OTHER'S mistakes, huh?

Sending you good luck for tomorrow's attempt.

Aw MAN! I'm sorry that happened to you, Camila.

Well as you say - that's a mistake you're not likely to make again.

If we could just all learn from EACH OTHER'S mistakes, huh?

Sending you good luck for tomorrow's attempt.

It was suppose to be today, but the guy who was going to mill my grains didn't show up (that sounded dirty, didn't it?)

Anyway, I'll try to do it sometime this week, hopefully. :rockin:

Just don't be too hard on the no show lacky doode. Rumor has it you bust 'em up pretty bad.

Latest posts

Back