Hello from Brazil - Any other female brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm sorry, but the suggestive request and bickering is completely uncalled for, especially in an Introduction thread. I understand that sometimes jokes are made, but also sometimes jokes should just not be said in the first place. Frankly, in my opinion, it is no way to welcome someone to the forums.

Just to clear things up:

- I do NOT feel offended by the "pics or it didn't happen" joke.
- I do NOT want or expect any special treatment for being a female.
- My goal when calling out other female brewers was just to meet and be inspired by them, as this is a male-dominated hobby and it's nice to know who are the other girls involved in it.
- If at one point, one of the guys or the girls offend me in any way, I'll make sure they know it. I do not need whiteknighting.

Cheers,

Camila.

Just to clear things up:

- My goal when calling out other female brewers was just to meet and be inspired by them, as this is a male-dominated hobby and it's nice to know who are the other girls involved in it.
- If at one point, one of the guys or the girls offend me in any way, I'll make sure they know it. I do not need whiteknighting.

Cheers,

Camila.

The world needs more of this right here.:rockin:

You go girl! :mug: seriously though, I'm interested to see how your locally sourced brewing goes, keep us posted!

Just to clear things up:

Cheers,

Camila.

I just know I'm gonna like you! :mug:

AND on a lighter note:

This is me. I'm a badass, brazilian, tattooed roller girl and home-brewer. I'm here to learn and to trade experiences about beer. I also happen to be a female, but I can kick your ass.

cc37ae3a-bdd2-40d8-b5e7-b1ed9aa13a19_zps7b7c7064.jpg

You go girl! :mug: seriously though, I'm interested to see how your locally sourced brewing goes, keep us posted!

Will do. Last night was eventful. I got back all my equipment and got an amazing donation by a former home-brewer who's now getting big and fancy. He gave me a bunch of grains, hops and yeast.

I'm gonna restart brewing earlier than I thought! I'll mill this friday and brew on saturday. I'll make sure to post some pics.

One other thing - there's a brewer on the forums here called ktrain who is based in SP, although I don't think he posts much. He told me about Lamas Brewshop in Campinas. He said the people who run it were nice to deal with. It's too far for me down here in Porto Alegre but looks like it is convenient, if not cheap!

One other thing - there's a brewer on the forums here called ktrain who is based in SP, although I don't think he posts much. He told me about Lamas Brewshop in Campinas. He said the people who run it were nice to deal with. It's too far for me down here in Porto Alegre but looks like it is convenient, if not cheap!

That's awesome. I'll look them up! Thank you. :mug:

So what are the common beers/ styles there? I guess what I mean is what's the bud light of Brazil? Please don't say its actually bud light lol.

AND on a lighter note:

This is me. I'm a badass, brazilian, tattooed roller girl and home-brewer. I'm here to learn and to trade experiences about beer. I also happen to be a female, but I can kick your ass.

cc37ae3a-bdd2-40d8-b5e7-b1ed9aa13a19_zps7b7c7064.jpg

You are a younger version of me, I'd like to think. :rockin:

I don't roller derby- but I play ice hockey. Or I did, until recently when I decided to go south in the winter. I'm pretty small size-wize, but I am pretty tough myself. I kayak, drive a truck (and now a Jeep) and hunt and fish. The last deer I got, I shot with a bow and arrow.

I also make some wine, cider and mead, and brew.

I got my tattoo in 1982, when few women would dare. I've been in Army, raised two kids, and now have two grandsons. I am retired, or at least semi-retired now, after being a paramedic and working in acute care for many years followed by office work and administration.

It's nice to meet you!

My team a few years ago (with the Stanley Cup):

DSCF0571.jpg

And just us, after a win:
DSCF0565.jpg

DANG, you girls are tough - remind me not to pizz either of you off! LOL!

And I thought I was badazz because I like to ride crazy horses. Used to raise, train, and show Arabians - the nuttiest of the lot!

I console myself a bit now because I'm 60. THAT being said, yesterday, by myself, I hauled out 27 16' x 1" x 6" boards from the back of the house to the front for somebody to pick up, then helped them load them onto a trailer which was parked across the street. I'm not quite ready for the rocking chair.

Advil is my closest friend though!

You are a younger version of me, I'd like to think. :rockin:

I don't roller derby- but I play ice hockey. Or I did, until recently when I decided to go south in the winter. I'm pretty small size-wize, but I am pretty tough myself. I kayak, drive a truck (and now a Jeep) and hunt and fish. The last deer I got, I shot with a bow and arrow.

I also make some wine, cider and mead, and brew.

I got my tattoo in 1982, when few women would dare. I've been in Army, raised two kids, and now have two grandsons. I am retired, or at least semi-retired now, after being a paramedic and working in acute care for many years followed by office work and administration.

It's nice to meet you!

My team a few years ago (with the Stanley Cup):

View attachment 190670

And just us, after a win:
View attachment 190671

That would be a huge accomplish to turn out anything like you. Again, you're a big inspiration, thanks for rocking this much. :rockin:

Do you mind if I ask you when and why did you start brewing? Did you start with beer?

DANG, you girls are tough - remind me not to pizz either of you off! LOL!

And I thought I was badazz because I like to ride crazy horses. Used to raise, train, and show Arabians - the nuttiest of the lot!

I console myself a bit now because I'm 60. THAT being said, yesterday, by myself, I hauled out 27 16' x 1" x 6" boards from the back of the house to the front for somebody to pick up, then helped them load them onto a trailer which was parked across the street. I'm not quite ready for the rocking chair.

Advil is my closest friend though!

Haha, riding horses is pretty badass too, come on! Those are huge creatures. And way to go at hauling those huge boards, you're one tough cookie! I had to carry a 30 pounds grain bad yesterday and I'm all sore today. ::cross:

DM1810One-Tough-Cookie-Posters-1.jpg

So what are the common beers/ styles there? I guess what I mean is what's the bud light of Brazil? Please don't say its actually bud light lol.

Hahaha, it isn't. And I think that's a GREAT question, I have to do some cleaning on my fermenter (getting ready for saturday) and I'll be right back to answer that!

Before the Paulista chimes in, I'll say the best beers are made in the south :p

Artesanal beers, as craft beers are called here, are really becoming popular. However, they are very expensive - the local brewpubs here charge between 12 and 30 BRL for a pint, and it's about 2.3BRL to the USD now. I heard the BrewDog pub in SP charges 45BRL for a pint! Given that many people earn less than 500 usd per month, they don't spend much of it on fancy beer. So, they drink Skol, Brahma, Bohemia, Antarctica, and if you're a real Gaucho, Polar. They're all full of adjuncts and all taste terrible. If you drink them near freezing, then they don't taste so bad, and they're cheap.

That would be a huge accomplish to turn out anything like you. Again, you're a big inspiration, thanks for rocking this much. :rockin:

Do you mind if I ask you when and why did you start brewing? Did you start with beer?

I was a winemaker, actually. For a long time.

I had tried brewing with a Beer Machine 2000, but I never made a decent beer and I though it was too hard.

My teammate accidentally broke my leg by skating over me (she's LOTS bigger!) and so I was in a wheelchair for about 18 months and I was bored so I started doing some brewing to supplement my winemaking. I have been making wine for about 25 years, more or less.

Just wanted you all to know that I'm drinking a Brooklyn Lager and trying to figure out what to do with this pump that we had when I brewed with my three friends.

RIGHT NOW I'm kinda bummed reading all the forums and websites, because I kind of realize that I know NOTHING about this. I really wanted to begin brewing solo this saturday, but I'm realizing now that it may not be the best idea.

Sort of in a slump right now and a little demotivated.

Just wanted you all to know that I'm drinking a Brooklyn Lager and trying to figure out what to do with this pump that we had when I brewed with my three friends.

RIGHT NOW I'm kinda bummed reading all the forums and websites, because I kind of realize that I know NOTHING about this. I really wanted to begin brewing solo this saturday, but I'm realizing now that it may not be the best idea.

Then you need to read this: http://www.brewdog.com/blog-article/things-my-dog-taught-me

There is a LOT to learn but don't let that discourage you. Every one has to start somewhere and only time and practice will help you gain confidence. You've already found the place to learn, now get to brewing! Remember screwing up a time or two is very much a part of the learning process it takes time to perfect this craft but with time and patience it will become second nature. Now read read read!

There is a LOT to learn but don't let that discourage you. Every one has to start somewhere and only time and practice will help you gain confidence. You've already found the place to learn, now get to brewing! Remember screwing up a time or two is very much a part of the learning process it takes time to perfect this craft but with time and patience it will become second nature. Now read read read!

You people are truly awesome. <3

:mug:

So what are your worries / doubts at this time? What is making you nervous/ unsure?

A number of things, actually. I've never brewed by myself, for starters. My husband is being sort of weird about the idea of brewing in the apartment and this worries me. I'm also concerned because I've always chilled the beer in a huge ice bath and now there's this chiller that everyone says I should use, because using an ice bath in an apartment would be really messy. This chiller has a pump and I have no idea how to use it. I still haven't decide if I'll bottle or keg this first batch. Etc.

In general, I just think I'm insecure about doing this by myself and then I'm overthinking the whole deal because I'll have no one else to blame in case it goes badly.

If it goes bad it goes bad. Get that in your head now, making beer isn't hard.... making good tasting beer is a bit harder.

If money permits and you have access to kegs I say skip bottling. Nothing wrong with bottling but in the end you will likely end up with a kegging setup anyways. Not exactly sure the exact chiller your referring to, an immersion chiller will look like this http://morebeer.com/category/immersion-wort-chillers.html

A counter flow will look like this

http://morebeer.com/category/counterflow-wort-chillers.html

And a plate chiller will look like this

http://morebeer.com/search?search=plate+chiller&=Search

If it goes bad it goes bad. Get that in your head now, making beer isn't hard.... making good tasting beer is a bit harder.

If money permits and you have access to kegs I say skip bottling. Nothing wrong with bottling but in the end you will likely end up with a kegging setup anyways. Not exactly sure the exact chiller your referring to, an immersion chiller will look like this http://morebeer.com/category/immersion-wort-chillers.html

A counter flow will look like this

http://morebeer.com/category/counterflow-wort-chillers.html

And a plate chiller will look like this

http://morebeer.com/search?search=plate+chiller&=Search

The one I have is an immersion chiller.

Regarding bottling / kegging, I sort of want to do both, you know? I want to be able to give the bottles to people, but at the same time I don't really want to have to go through the trouble of bottling litters and litters of beer every time I brew something.

The one I have is an immersion chiller.

Regarding bottling / kegging, I sort of want to do both, you know? I want to be able to give the bottles to people, but at the same time I don't really want to have to go through the trouble of bottling litters and litters of beer every time I brew something.
http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann-beer-gun.html

Or this
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/ Will allow you to bottle from your carbonated keg.

As far as the immersion chiller goes there is likely an adapter you can buy from a local hardware store (Maybe... I dunno what Brazil is like) that will allow you to hook your immersion chiller up to your sink. I don't think you'll need a pump for that. I think others may have recommended a pump to move your beer mash tun to boil kettle and maybe eventually to your fermenter but as strong as you look you can probably skip that (although it will make life easier but baby steps!)

http://morebeer.com/products/blichmann-beer-gun.html

Or this
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/we-no-need-no-stinking-beer-gun-24678/

As far as the immersion chiller goes there is likely an adapter you can buy from a local hardware store (Maybe... I dunno what Brazil is like) that will allow you to hook your immersion chiller up to your sink. I don't think you'll need a pump for that. I think others may have recommended a pump to move your beer mash tun to boil kettle and maybe eventually to your fermenter but as strong as you look you can probably skip that (although it will make life easier but baby steps!)

Ohhhhhh. So you CAN use a keg to fill bottles! *MINDBLOWN*
I'm definitely kegging now. You rock! Thank you so much and sorry for being such a newbie.

The pump you speak of, post up a pic.........I'm betting it is submersible, and goes into your cooler full of ice and water, to pump through your immersion chiller, AFTER, you have used your "tap" water to lower the temp to a manageable level.

If you even have a pump you have more equipment than many of us lol. Good luck.

Wow Camila, you are one hardcore brewer. You broke 2 bones of your brewing pards and forced them out of town? Maybe lighten up on the ABV a little and things will lighten up some.

Hello Camila! Welcome to the forum.

I am impressed that you're even *trying* to brew in a SP highrise! I lived in Moema for awhile before I moved back to the US, and I didn't dare try to brew there. I had no idea where to get equipment, ingredients, etc., and definitely would have been freaked out to run a burner, even on my veranda!

I like the idea of substituting "Brazilian" ingredients when you can't get something. For example, I love the idea of erva mate instead of/in addition to hops. Boa sorte! A gente tá sempre aqui se vc precisar de ajuda.

Hey everyone, I'm sorry I've been AFK today, big day at work.

I came up with a recipe for tomorrow and I was wondering if there's someone out there who can check it out to see if it's a good one:

I want to brew a hoppy pale ale using some of the stuff that a friend donated to me. So it should go as follows:

Type: All Grain
Date: 04/05/2014
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Brewer: Camila Gadelha
Boil Size: 6.30 gal
Boil Time: 60 min

Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Abbey
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (60 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
1.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (45 min) Hops 27.0 IBU
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50%] (15 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale Ale Yeast (DCL Yeast #US-05) [Starter 50 ml] Yeast-Ale

======

Does that make sense? Hehe.

I spent a couple of weeks in Itajai. Found an outdoor market that served Skol in one liter bottles. Drank way too much of it. My brother in law drank another beer, forgot the name. We toured the brewery one afternoon. It was a good trip.

Back