Hello from Brazil - Any other female brewers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

camilagss

Reaction score
Hello,

My name is Camila and I'm from Brazil, currently living in São Paulo. I've been lurking the Forums for almost two years, when I first started brewing an Amber Ale called Maledetta.

During that time I've broken two bones and had to say goodbye to all my three brewing partners, who moved out of town. So it's been a while since I've last brewed.

This week I'm recovering all of our old equipment and setting them here, in my apartment. It's really hard to get decent brewing gear here in Brazil, so what I'm working with is very rudimentary.

I'm looking to change that, though, and planning to invest some money into new stuff. Right now my priorities are a cooler mash tun and a pump system for wort chilling. I plan to do all the brewing by myself, so I'm trying to optimize my efforts.

Do you guys have any suggestions and tips for single brewers? And, not to be a crazy feminist or anything, but are there other fellow female brewers in the Forums?

Nice to meet you all.

Muito prazer, Camila. There are several women brewers here on the forum, including one of the administrators.

Welcome to the hobby and the group, from Coloroado. There are a number of female homebrewers on HBT, Yooper is one of our heroes!

Welcome Camila! Are you planning on brewing mainly 19L batches? There are many ways to become proficient at brewing. I brew solo at home all the time, everything from weighing my supplies and milling the grain to carrying the fermenters to my fermentation closet. I spend about 6 hours from start to finished cleanup (not counting making the starter the day before) and I am always learning something new that makes my process either faster or more efficient.

There are several female brewers on HBT and as stated before Yooper is our heroine!

It's definitely a male dominated hobby, but there are female brewers on the forum as well as a few I know in real life as well.

I have friends in Sao Paulo, and when they visited me they told me that brewing wasn't easy for them. They mentioned the difficulty of obtaining ingredients, plus they lived in a high rise apartment. I don't think they were very serious about brewing, although they loved my beer!

A pump really helps with the heavy lifting when brewing, but for me the hardest part is the other heavy lifting involved. I brew 10 gallon batches, so I'm lucky that my husband is able to help me with dumping the grain and lifting heavy carboys when I need him to. If I was solo, I'd probably make 3 gallon batches (12L) so I wouldn't have to worry about dumping heavy grain and lifting up the carboys.

Where there is a will, there is a way so I wish you luck in getting started in your apartment. We are always here to give advice and help out any way we can!

I think the name for your amber means the same thing in Italian, why would your amber be "cursed"? Is it a clone from birra del borgo?

Welcome! There are several female brewers on here and although they are definitely fewer in number, the ones I know are every bit as competent and able as the men.

I've never been out of the US, so I have no idea what it is like to try and find equipment or ingredients down there (Ok, I've been to Canada a few times, and even the UP, but they are almost just like being in the US, so they don't count.)

I think the only real problem for you will be converting the standard recipes from the common English measurements to the obscure "Metric" system. ;)

Anyway, I wish you luck and I hope you will share your brewing adventures with us and give us some insight into what it takes to brew where you live.

And what kinds of beer are you planning on brewing??

Welcome Camila! Are you planning on brewing mainly 19L batches? There are many ways to become proficient at brewing. I brew solo at home all the time, everything from weighing my supplies and milling the grain to carrying the fermenters to my fermentation closet. I spend about 6 hours from start to finished cleanup (not counting making the starter the day before) and I am always learning something new that makes my process either faster or more efficient.

There are several female brewers on HBT and as stated before Yooper is our heroine!

Thank you for the welcome! I'm planning on brewing 19/20L batches, yeah. That'll be about 5 Gallons, right?

I used to mill the grains in this really messy hand-mill, in which I found a way to attach a drill, but there were always powder flying everywhere. I'll definitely have to make some improvements in this area so I can keep my apt. semi clean. What kind of mill do you use?

Six hours doesn't seem bad at all. I used to take about 7 or 8 when brewing 20L batches with my three partners (given they were easily distracted and always more about drinking beer than brewing it).

It's definitely a male dominated hobby, but there are female brewers on the forum as well as a few I know in real life as well.

I have friends in Sao Paulo, and when they visited me they told me that brewing wasn't easy for them. They mentioned the difficulty of obtaining ingredients, plus they lived in a high rise apartment. I don't think they were very serious about brewing, although they loved my beer!

A pump really helps with the heavy lifting when brewing, but for me the hardest part is the other heavy lifting involved. I brew 10 gallon batches, so I'm lucky that my husband is able to help me with dumping the grain and lifting heavy carboys when I need him to. If I was solo, I'd probably make 3 gallon batches (12L) so I wouldn't have to worry about dumping heavy grain and lifting up the carboys.

Where there is a will, there is a way so I wish you luck in getting started in your apartment. We are always here to give advice and help out any way we can!

Hello! Your friends seem to have experienced the same problems as I do. I also live in a high rise apartment, although it's just my husband and I, so we have some spare space.

Ingredients are really hard to get, specially hops - since we don't grow them here in Brazil. I've been actually considering brewing an "all brazilian beer" with only local supplies, including some bitter herbs instead of hops, but I'll have to study a lot before I try something like that.

Do you use a pump in your system? I'm planning on brewing 5 Gallons / 20L batches because that's the kind of equipment I've got. I asked my husband if he'd help me with the heavy lifting and he said: "SOMETIMES", so I can't really count on him haha. I'll probably get a good workout out of each batch, which means I'll be able to drink more beer without gaining weight (huge success).

Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure if they are as common in Brazil, but If hops are hard to get, dandelion can be used as a bittering agent. And that's just one, there are lots of herbs and spices which have a longer history in brewing than hops (research gruit)

Fala Camila!
Seja bem vindo.

I usually brew on my own in my apartment too. My lifesavers are small clips - even clothes pegs will do. They can be really useful as an extra hand to keep hoses off the floor etc. Having a clamp that is strong enough to quickly close off a hose to stop leaks on the floor is next on my wish list.

Put newspaper down on the floor - sticky wort is a nightmare to clean once it's dried.

Be careful about Carbon Monoxide during the boil (particularly if you are on your own!)

Since you are may be lifting heavy pots full of hot sugary liquid, I would suggest some safe footwear - I use a nice pair of white rubber boots :)

12479270144_9e50afa3d4_z.jpg

You could think about joining Acerva Paulista, if you haven't already. Maybe you can find a brew buddy there! http://www.acervapaulista.com.br/

Cheers
Neil:mug:

Female brewer from Brazil? Pictures or it didn't happen. Lol welcome to the forum.

aaaaaaaaaannnnnndddddddd....here is the creeper folks. You had to know it was coming and the knuckle-draggers on this board never disappoint...

Seriously dude...would you say something like this to her in person? If not, why do you think its appropriate here?

Yeah we get it....lol, I was joking, hur-hur-hur...but its not funny, just creepy. Want me to talk to your wife, daughter or sister like that?

Female brewer checking in :). I'm in Michigan. I brew by myself (I'm not single, but my husband has his own hobbies), but brew small batches (1 or 2 gallon batches).

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

aaaaaaaaaannnnnndddddddd....here is the creeper folks. You had to know it was coming and the knuckle-draggers on this board never disappoint...

Seriously dude...would you say something like this to her in person? If not, why do you think its appropriate here?

Yeah we get it....lol, I was joking, hur-hur-hur...but its not funny, just creepy. Want me to talk to your wife, daughter or sister like that?

Oh, I thought I had to prove I wasn't "fake". I used to be in another forum that made me do that too. I always find it a bit weird to have to prove that I am who I'm claiming to be.

*double post*

I think the name for your amber means the same thing in Italian, why would your amber be "cursed"? Is it a clone from birra del borgo?

Haha, not really. One of my former partners had a restaurant called "Corleone" and that's where we used to brew. So when we were trying to figure out a name for our beer, this came up and we all thought it was a good idea.

Welcome! There are several female brewers on here and although they are definitely fewer in number, the ones I know are every bit as competent and able as the men.

I've never been out of the US, so I have no idea what it is like to try and find equipment or ingredients down there (Ok, I've been to Canada a few times, and even the UP, but they are almost lust like being in the US, so they don't count.)

I think the only real problem for you will be converting the standard recipes from the common English measurements to the obscure "Metric" system. ;)

Anyway, I wish you luck and I hope you will share your brewing adventures with us and give us some insight into what it takes to brew where you live.

And what kinds of beer are you planning on brewing??

I've experienced a really hard time trying to find equipment here in Brazil, specially considering the kind of stuff you can order from Amazon if you live in the States. Ingredients are also a hassle. The conversion is easy, though, I can always count on Google for that!

I have some big plans, to be honest. I want to brew three different beers. The first one I want to be brazilian's hoppiest beer. I just want to go crazy hoppy, like Stash from Independence (Austin, TX). Then I want to brew a beer without any hops, and using ERVA MATE as bittering ingredient. And I want to brew a Stout using Rapadura.

Honestly, I have NO idea how these will work. Right now they're just ideas I'm having about this new endeavor. I also want Maledetta to be an all-beer-brand, so I'm planning to bake goods and create soap and shampoos using byproducts of my production.

I currently work in Marketing and Advertising, but I want to make this my career. Living off of something that I produce myself is a big dream, so I'm planning to invest time and money into this craft.

Hello! Your friends seem to have experienced the same problems as I do. I also live in a high rise apartment, although it's just my husband and I, so we have some spare space.

Ingredients are really hard to get, specially hops - since we don't grow them here in Brazil. I've been actually considering brewing an "all brazilian beer" with only local supplies, including some bitter herbs instead of hops, but I'll have to study a lot before I try something like that.

Do you use a pump in your system? I'm planning on brewing 5 Gallons / 20L batches because that's the kind of equipment I've got. I asked my husband if he'd help me with the heavy lifting and he said: "SOMETIMES", so I can't really count on him haha. I'll probably get a good workout out of each batch, which means I'll be able to drink more beer without gaining weight (huge success).

Thanks for your help!

Oh, my system really is way over the top and totally unnecessary (but fun!).

I have two pumps, and it's an indoor system in my laundry room. But I have a big house in a rural area, and space is not an issue for me at all. I know it's totally different in a large urban area!

My husband does help a bit- but he has said that "it's YOUR hobby!". And he's right. While I help him with some of his hobbies, it's not like he can hand me a shovel and expect me to help him garden or plant vegetables so even though he's helpful, I don't rely on his help very often.

I used to brew 19L batches on the stove top, and did that by myself while he was at work. It's possible with a good stove, and I did it for quite a few years. I just really like the convenience of a dedicated brewing area now, but not every one can do that of course.

I'm not sure if they are as common in Brazil, but If hops are hard to get, dandelion can be used as a bittering agent. And that's just one, there are lots of herbs and spices which have a longer history in brewing than hops (research gruit)

Haha, funny you should mention that. I was actually inspired by this no-hop beer they brewed in the show Brew Dogs, during their first season. I've been researching some of this herbs and I'll try and find something similar to those here in Brazil.

Hello,

This week I'm recovering all of our old equipment and setting them here, in my apartment. It's really hard to get decent brewing gear here in Brazil, so what I'm working with is very rudimentary.

Could this dearth of equipment and supplies be an opportunity to start your our supply business?

Is it possible to order hops from out of the country? It may be worth biting the bullet on the extra shipping charges and ordering a few kilo's of quality hops, for storing in the freezer.

What is your water like? Just curious.

And Welcome.

Fala Camila!
Seja bem vindo.

I usually brew on my own in my apartment too. My lifesavers are small clips - even clothes pegs will do. They can be really useful as an extra hand to keep hoses off the floor etc. Having a clamp that is strong enough to quickly close off a hose to stop leaks on the floor is next on my wish list.

Put newspaper down on the floor - sticky wort is a nightmare to clean once it's dried.

Be careful about Carbon Monoxide during the boil (particularly if you are on your own!)

Since you are may be lifting heavy pots full of hot sugary liquid, I would suggest some safe footwear - I use a nice pair of white rubber boots :)

12479270144_9e50afa3d4_z.jpg

You could think about joining Acerva Paulista, if you haven't already. Maybe you can find a brew buddy there! http://www.acervapaulista.com.br/

Cheers
Neil:mug:

Those are awesome tips! I've been looking into joining ACERVA, actually. But I really do plan to brew solo. I'll make sure to get some awesome boots like yours. :rockin:

Oh, my system really is way over the top and totally unnecessary (but fun!).

I have two pumps, and it's an indoor system in my laundry room. But I have a big house in a rural area, and space is not an issue for me at all. I know it's totally different in a large urban area!

My husband does help a bit- but he has said that "it's YOUR hobby!". And he's right. While I help him with some of his hobbies, it's not like he can hand me a shovel and expect me to help him garden or plant vegetables so even though he's helpful, I don't rely on his help very often.

I used to brew 19L batches on the stove top, and did that by myself while he was at work. It's possible with a good stove, and I did it for quite a few years. I just really like the convenience of a dedicated brewing area now, but not every one can do that of course.

Haha I totally get how having a way over the top system can be fun. I was drooling all over this Brutus 10 I saw the other day and sent a link to my father (he's an engineer), asking him if he'd help me build one of those.

He said he'd help me, so maybe... who knows, in the future haha.

I have a good industrial two burners stove at home and some spare space in my laundry area and a little bathroom I can use for fermenting and storing supplies. I promised my husband I wouldn't make much of a mess, so I'll have to be really smart about my choices.

Did you use pumps when you brew 19L batches?

Hi! Another female brewer checking in to welcome you.

Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun. I'm fortunate that my husband enjoys brewing as much as I do, in fact he's the lead on most of the stuff we do and I am the "assistant brewmeistress" - which is great.

We both enjoy sitting down and discussing our brews, future recipes, and general beer-related topics.

Sounds like you know what you're doing so I can't wait to hear of your experiences!

Could this dearth of equipment and supplies be an opportunity to start your our supply business?

Is it possible to order hops from out of the country? It may be worth biting the bullet on the extra shipping charges and ordering a few kilo's of quality hops, for storing in the freezer.

What is your water like? Just curious.

And Welcome.

Meh... I'm sure this could be an opportunity for someone who was willing to invest a lot of money and time to actually develop those supplies or import them. But I figure that I already have a day job, not much money to invest and little spare time, I really have to focus on something and crafting beer is my true passion.

It is possible to order hops from out of the country, but there are some severe restrains on that. I'm not entirely aware of the legislation, but there's a limit of how much you can bring or import without having to go through our "FDA" for approval.

We have some REALLY good water here in Brazil, lots of mineral fountains and everything. But not the stuff we can get from our taps, that's usually sort of bad.

Hi! Another female brewer checking in to welcome you.

Sounds like you're going to be having a lot of fun. I'm fortunate that my husband enjoys brewing as much as I do, in fact he's the lead on most of the stuff we do and I am the "assistant brewmeistress" - which is great.

We both enjoy sitting down and discussing our brews, future recipes, and general beer-related topics.

Sounds like you know what you're doing so I can't wait to hear of your experiences!

Hey, nice to meet you!

My husband also loves beer, but he's more of a drinker than a brewer. I DO believe that after he watches me brewing and having a blast doing so, he'll want to join in. So maybe he can be my assistant haha.

That's awesome that you get to talk beer with your S/O. I saw this study the other day that proved that couples who drink together are happier!

I think there's a lot I still have to learn, you guys are a tremendous inspiration. But I'll keep posting and reading the forums to absorb all your beer knowledge *mua-hua-hua-hua* :D

Welcome, from Atlanta, Ga.

I have North American friends, ( Expats), who live in Cotacachi, Ecuador, who are brewers, and they source their grains local to them, and I believe they get their hops in Quito.

They supply their brews to 3 local restaurants there.

I know it's not local to ya', but more local than ordering from the states!

Sounds to me like someone needs to get their panties out of such a twist and quit taking stuff on the internet so seriously. You're the creeper that hmgets offended so easily.

Well, if it isn't such a big deal then post pictures of your wife....I want to check out what Mrs. jhoneycutt's butt looks like in a pair of jeans....

Offended?...because that was what you wanted from Camila, but you aren't seeing the problem with that...

Knock it off.

One of the reasons this forum is so wonderful is that we don't get into harassing each other.

One of the reasons that I don't announce on my avatar and in my posts that I'm a female is just for this reason. No one asks guy brewers who come on the forum for photos or makes remarks about their gender.

Let's all let this go, and get back to talking about brewing.

Thanks.

THANK you, Yooper. I hate this petty schoolyard bickering, on this or ANY forum. Not productive.

AND I will say - as a female brewer - I didn't take offense to the "picture, or it didn't happen" post because I saw it as the OP intended it - a joke! How often do we see that phrase around here??

ANYWAY I'm glad we have Camila amongst our ranks now! :D

Back