Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 9+% ipas take about 2 weeks to carb. I think I found a reason to keg. I wonder how much aroma is lost in those 2 weeks.

Ok I have 4 fresh cans of Heady brought from Vermont directly via co-worker. Planning on cultivating yeast from the cans. I see the latest BYO has a Heady recipe, but it sounds like the one on the first page here is better (?). If so, I see it calls for "hopshots". I saw said hopshots for sale at Northern Brewer with what looks like 5ml per syringe. Is this the right product to be considering? Apologies if this is covered earlier somewhere - this is a very long thread.

Yes, you need 10ml per 5 gallon batch @90 minutes. Use the following calculator: http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Hop-Jizz-Extract-Calculator

Related note, I love the idea of using the hop extract. I feel like you get clean and powerful bittering in a long boil without some of the odd flavors the hop vegetation itself imparts in an equivalent quantity. I can see why mega beers like Resin, Hop Stoopid, Enjoy By, and HT use it.

Yes, you need 10ml per 5 gallon batch @90 minutes. Use the following calculator: http://www.brewbrothers.biz/Hop-Jizz-Extract-Calculator

Related note, I love the idea of using the hop extract. I feel like you get clean and powerful bittering in a long boil without some of the odd flavors the hop vegetation itself imparts in an equivalent quantity. I can see why mega beers like Resin, Hop Stoopid, Enjoy By, and HT use it.
Pretty fascinating - I didn't even realize the technique existed. Really looking forward to making this one. Once I got some HT myself there's no excuse not to.

BeerGrylls said:

Tasty on CYBI did a clone of Hop Stupid using Columbus pellets and apparently it was pretty close. He did talk about the logistics of using the pellets and the extra planning that went into it (beer lost to the hops, quality control, volumes, etc). I'll probably try this method at first since I can get tons of CTZ pellets for cheap and the extracts are expensive. See how close I can get that way...

I used CTZ for a Pliny clone and it was great, although I haven't had the real thing so I can't compare. I'm going to use a combination of CTZ and Apollo for my Heady clone and I have some Heady to compare it to.

I can get a DIPA to carb up nicely in less than a week, but I find they taste best if I give them two weeks, but they don't improve much after that and can even become over-carbonated. I think most IPAs hold up pretty good for about 4 months if they're kept cold. Stone Enjoy By is a little different because Nelson Sauvin is a funny hop, smells incredible and tastes weird. From my experience with Enjoy By, it lost a lot of smell from one week after bottling (the day I bought it) to three weeks after bottling. The funky taste also became more pronounced. On the other hand there wasn't much a change from that point because I drank my last Enjoy By 09/09/13 a few days ago and it was about the same as it was in late August.

Just an FYI on the real HT.

I just got a shipment from a recent batch and it's much improved compared to a few months ago. Very dank and piney, more so than usual. I don't detect any peach or tropical flavors though. Perhaps Kimmich has really has turned away from Conan.

I just got a shipment from a recent batch and it's much improved compared to a few months ago. Very dank and piney, more so than usual. I don't detect any peach or tropical flavors though. Perhaps Kimmich has really has turned away from Conan.

I just drank a few that were about 2 weeks old, and I agree. Super bitter dank Pine, but not mega tropical fruity like I've had in the past. Still great, but not the holy grail iipa it once was. Huh.

Hmm, that's troubling. Part of what made Heady so great was that it was different. Huge, piney, dank DIPAs are easy to find. Our old friend HT was unique. I really hope Kimmich doesn't get away from that.

Anyone picking up clove from their Yeast Geek green mountain? Last two batches I had steady 68F ferm temps and it tastes more like a Belgian IPA.

In the podcast Kimmich did he said it was a good English yeast. The batch I have from Alchemist almost tastes like Wyeast 1098 over earlier Conan I used.

atun53 said:
Anyone picking up clove from their Yeast Geek green mountain? Last two batches I had steady 68F ferm temps and it tastes more like a Belgian IPA. In the podcast Kimmich did he said it was a good English yeast. The batch I have from Alchemist almost tastes like Wyeast 1098 over earlier Conan I used.

I got clove and Belgian notes from some harvested and stepped up Conan last time I used it. Hated it. Once it goes into late gen I think it starts to get nasty and weak.

I got clove and Belgian notes from some harvested and stepped up Conan last time I used it. Hated it. Once it goes into late gen I think it starts to get nasty and weak.

Did you ferment in the upper 60's also? I recently got some Conan and am gonna give this a shot. Have been wondering what the ideal ferment temp is, anybody have any insight? Sounds like low to mid 60's would be best.

Did you ferment in the upper 60's also? I recently got some Conan and am gonna give this a shot. Have been wondering what the ideal ferment temp is, anybody have any insight? Sounds like low to mid 60's would be best.

I used this advice from theveganbrewer:

" I will be fermenting this batch at 68 degrees with an insulated temperature probe taped to the carboy. I pitched 225ml of slurry harvested the 2nd week of April. Expected something like 200-250 billion cells to make it in there. After 3 days I rose the temperature to 71 degrees until day 14. I crashed down to 58 degrees and commenced the two-stage dry hop. This is the most accurate fermentation temperature schedule out there. There is no evidence that Heady Topper is fermented in the low 60s like reported elsewhere. 68-72-58."

Followed signpost v.4 basically to a 't'. Damn

ForumRunner_20131019_004814.jpg

this stuff is good.

It's been a while since I read through this whole thread, so sorry if this has been covered already. This recipe for my batch size is going to require 23oz of hops in the kettle. What measures are you guys using to control the hop material? Screens, bags, bazooka tubes, spiders, etc.

Also, how long does this stay good for in the keg? Is there a point when it's not as good as it was before and you wish you drank it faster?

Whatever you do, do something. I didn't do anything to control the hops and I have so much hop material in my bottles that I have to filter each bottle through some spare voile fabric I have. I only made 2.5 gal, so my next batch I will be much more careful about trying to minimize the hop material.

Bomber of my Heady Flopper DIPA. Almost 9% ABV.

image-3932798154.jpg

Whatever you do, do something. I didn't do anything to control the hops and I have so much hop material in my bottles that I have to filter each bottle through some spare voile fabric I have. I only made 2.5 gal, so my next batch I will be much more careful about trying to minimize the hop material.

I didn't do anything and threw them in the kettle. A lot of hop trub made it into the primary, so I racked it to the secondary for the dry hop. A few days of cold crashing will take care of any issues, but I wish I had a hop spider.

Yeah, I normally have any problems and I through my hops in the kettle and put everything in primary. But I don't normally ad a pound of hops to a batch either.

I don't have the capability to cold crash and I didn't secondary, so I'm sure that's why your's are better.

I brewed a few beers with massive amounts of hop recently and used a hop bag. I will probably do the same with my Heady clone. I'm stepping up some Conan right now and I got some Belgian notes just from letting it get up to 70*. I did a dry hop experiment on some Conan starter beer from that week that got up to 75* at one point, and even though it had Belgian notes it tasted very Heady-like. I would still rather err on the side of keeping the temperature lower than 68*. I fermented some Conan beers this week at 63* and they smell great so far.

Just had a Double Dose DIPA from Otter Creek collaboration with Lawson's Finest Liquids, it was fantastic but then followed it up with my Heady clone. The Heady clone was so much more amazing in every way. No offense meant, OCB/LFL.

ianmatth said:
I brewed a few beers with massive amounts of hop recently and used a hop bag. I will probably do the same with my Heady clone. I'm stepping up some Conan right now and I got some Belgian notes just from letting it get up to 70*. I did a dry hop experiment on some Conan starter beer from that week that got up to 75* at one point, and even though it had Belgian notes it tasted very Heady-like. I would still rather err on the side of keeping the temperature lower than 68*. I fermented some Conan beers this week at 63* and they smell great so far.

Conan sound a little like Pacman to me...

Hmm, that's troubling. Part of what made Heady so great was that it was different. Huge, piney, dank DIPAs are easy to find. Our old friend HT was unique. I really hope Kimmich doesn't get away from that.

I'm wondering if hop shortages have him going heavier on the Columbus.

Still have to say it's an awesome beer, just not quite the perfection of that first can I had back in February.

I need to have another go at Vegan's 4.0 recipe... I'm just about out from my summer batch. Definitely the best beer I ever brewed!

FATC1TY said:

Not yet. I'm getting the peach that I was hoping for. Pitched yeast into a 1.070 wort on Thursday afternoon last week and it was down to 1.027 today approximately 80 hours later. I skimmed what I could off the top and I now have another starter going for whatever is next. Also put the first stage of dry hops in.

I followed the BYO clone recipe for Heady and substituted the Conan yeast which is the way to go IMO. I'm very impressed with the flavors already.

Can't wait for the final product.

I just bottled 4.5 gallons tonight. It was a variation of v4.0 (thanks, Vegan). I bumped up the grain bill to compensate for my efficiency, subbed out Pearl for M.O., and subbed out the hopshot and apollo both for more columbus. I used yg001's Conan strain. OG was 1.071 and FG crapped out a touch high at 1.013, but no matter. The result was nectar. Hop bliss nectar. It tasted incredible. So good that I'm going to submit it for competition, which I haven't done yet. Waiting for these bottles to carbonate is going to take serious will power, as it is incredible flat.

Ready2brew said:
Not yet. I'm getting the peach that I was hoping for. Pitched yeast into a 1.070 wort on Thursday afternoon last week and it was down to 1.027 today approximately 80 hours later. I skimmed what I could off the top and I now have another starter going for whatever is next. Also put the first stage of dry hops in.

I followed the BYO clone recipe for Heady and substituted the Conan yeast which is the way to go IMO. I'm very impressed with the flavors already.

Can't wait for the final product.

It's now 120 hours into the fermentation and the gravity seems to have stalled at 1.022. Bumped temp up from 64, to 68, and now 70. Not sure why fermentation stalled. Have a starter of WLP01 that ill add in morning to try and finish off. Original yeast was YG001. The YG001 taste and smells great. Not sure if I'm missing something about this yeast? I made a 4 liter starter, chilled, decanted slurry and pitched with good dose of pure oxygen.

Ready2brew said:
It's now 120 hours into the fermentation and the gravity seems to have stalled at 1.022. Bumped temp up from 64, to 68, and now 70. Not sure why fermentation stalled. Have a starter of WLP01 that ill add in morning to try and finish off. Original yeast was YG001. The YG001 taste and smells great. Not sure if I'm missing something about this yeast? I made a 4 liter starter, chilled, decanted slurry and pitched with good dose of pure oxygen.

120 hours? Chilly down a few days then check it again. Let it work.

I finally brewed this beer. ~4 gallons after the boil. Used a 50 quart cooler to mash 10 lbs Pearl Malt, 11 oz Caramalt, 11oz White Wheat. Added 11 oz Organic Cane Sugar to get OG up to 1.070. I was short on Simcoe so I used a little bit of Citra and El Dorado to round out the 0 min and Aroma Steep additions. Pitched 250 billion cells of Conan. I think this will turn out pretty good. Might be my best beer yet.

Thanks VeganBrewer for the recipe and all the leg work! So excited to dry hop next week, might just rush it.... Such a resin filled recipe that my imersion cooler, kettle, and sponge were filled with oil & resin while cleaning, had to soak it several times now!

Just tried this for the first time. Haven't had headdy yet, but this is the best ipa I've brewed yet. The most interesting things are the peach notes and the clean bitterness from the hop shot. There is a wonderful balance of flavors here as well.

I used some of the cake on another similar batch with same malt bill/hop shot, but swapped out the columbus and some of the simcoe with a boat load of cascade and centennial. Can't wait to try that too.

Got this in the fermenter on Thursday. BubBling away now. Used Maris otter as base and torrified wheat. Yeast was Conan grown from a can. Very excited as a buddy brewed this using Maris and terrified wheat and it was dialed in. Back to back with heady, it matched up well.

Wrong grains and no wheat.

Grains, yeast, hops proper for HT otherwise its just a fine tastin IPA

So you are saying there is no wheat in heady, or no wheat in the clone? I have tried them back to back and I can say with confidence they taste as close as possible without having the recipe from Kimmich. As for maris vs pearl. ..I dunno. Again, flavor profile was spot on.

Back