Hatchet Job labels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zelltj

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I was hoping you could critique my label for me. I'm trying to have something semi-generic so I can just write what beer it is and the pertinent information. It's sort of my first go at a label, but I'm open to all suggestions. Oh, I'm planning for this to be a 3hx4w label fyi. Thanks in advance!

label wheat hop.jpg

Man either this thing is really awesome and nobody can think of anything to change or it is really terrible and nobody has the heart to tell me! :-D I hope it's the former!

Haha. I think that it is pretty darn simple and universal. If that is what you are looking for then you win!

I find it a little strange and disjointed. A hatchet and grains with a hop just seems somewhat random. Maybe make the hatchet bigger as it seems to just be "stuck" on the label

If those are your pictures why not try putting an actual hatchet in your kettle and snapping a pic of it or something. In other words, try an actual hatchet theme or the idea of a "hatchet job"

My personal advice...get a large realistic picture of a hatchet...It should be the full height of your image and a decent width of the blade. Write hatchet down the shaft and put Job in the blade.

If your a decent illustrator, forget the picture and create it in word shape...hatchet vertical in a wood font and job horizontal in a metal font.

Hope this helps but if you like it...who cares!
:mug:

Hmmm.... I see what you mean. I just couldn't put my finger on what was bothering me about it. Wolfhound is correct, I am just trying to make a universal label that I can just slap on a bottle and write on it. I'm deployed right now, so it's a little difficult to get my hands on a hatchet, but I agree that it would look better if it was a real life picture. I'll fiddle around tomorrow with the word label. I like that idea too, but I'm not sure how it'll turn out. Thanks for the advise! Hopefully some more good ideas come in! It gives me something to keep me busy during my limited off time. Thanks!!

zelltj said:
Oh and GO BUCKS!!!

I'm guessing you are a Marine because it looks like you are stationed in that hell hole 29 palms. I was at Pendleton and have a good friend that is an air traffic controller at the stumps right now. Spent plenty of time there and would die happy if I never had to go back!

Is there more information you are going to write other than what's specified (OG, FG, etc...)? The reason I ask is because you have a lot of unused space. If you want to use the elements you already have, I'd make the hatchet a lot bigger and maybe tilt it down a bit more so it takes up the majority of the width (becoming like a title accross the top). Then you can make the hop and text bigger to fill in the space a bit (and will make it easier to write). You don't have to use all of it, but you have a whole lot of negative space (background); the wheat does not seem to be a design element but just a background.

Is there more information you are going to write other than what's specified (OG, FG, etc...)? The reason I ask is because you have a lot of unused space. If you want to use the elements you already have, I'd make the hatchet a lot bigger and maybe tilt it down a bit more so it takes up the majority of the width (becoming like a title accross the top). Then you can make the hop and text bigger to fill in the space a bit (and will make it easier to write). You don't have to use all of it, but you have a whole lot of negative space (background); the wheat does not seem to be a design element but just a background.

+1

Nooner nailed it. Hatchet head could be main element hint of handle bleeding off label. make sure hatchet is on center of label, I generally put the info wrapped around back... looks different on bottle.

Yes I am stuck out at the stumps. I should be getting out of there in the next 6 months however.

Nooner, the blank space above the hop is where plan on writing the name and style. Do you think I should just get rid of the background altogether? Maybe go to just a plain solid color or something? Either way I'll try to mock up a few more to see what looks better. I'll post them when in done. Thanks everyone!

One final point...OG, FG and ABV is actually redundant. Maybe I am a stickler for this but if you post OG and ABV...we know your FG, or if you post your FG and ABV, we know your OG. Might consider putting on the IBUs.

Wolfhound180 said:
I'm guessing you are a Marine because it looks like you are stationed in that hell hole 29 palms. I was at Pendleton and have a good friend that is an air traffic controller at the stumps right now. Spent plenty of time there and would die happy if I never had to go back!

I couldn't agree more with that last sentence.
Semper Fi

So I finally got around to making some changes to my label. I like it better than the last one. I can't decide if it's the one I want to go with or not, however. Where "Lopsided IPA" is written, I will print that as a blank spot and just write in the name and style of the beer like on the last label. What do y'all think? Better? Worse? Still need something?

label split.jpg

Much better! The hatchet still looks a little out of place to me, almost too much of a "new hatchet" to clean, like a magazine advertisement, it might be better faded or with a different pic of a hatchet. But if you like it go with it, that is all that really matters. Again, this one is better than the first.

Bigger...make the hatchet bigger. If you tilt it, it could reinforce the lopsided idea. Something should stand out as the first thing you see (visual hiarchy) and the hatchet with the name would make sense.

You could also reverse you're vignette so the background is the wheat except for a blank spot in the middle where you write what you want.

I'd have the hatchet stuck in something, rather than sitting in air. Something like:
1. a target, like you see on the lumberjack shows. The target could be the beer you're "aiming" to brew -
2. A skull - you could have
Headsplitter ale, by hatchet job brewing, or
Lizzy Borden Lager - It'll kill ya
3. Stuck in a hop - hatchet job brewing's HopSplitter IPA - "A Whack Attack for the Taste Buds"

I'll give that a try. I agree it looks a little off just sitting on there, I just haven't been able to decide what I want to do with it. I was just trying to "preserve" the logo. I'll keep messing with it. I appreciate all your help. Keep the suggestions coming please! Just remember that I'm just trying to go for a "one-size-fits-all" label. Thanks again!!!

Ok so I completely scrapped the last few designs. I've been reworking this one, but it is still in draft. The red "banner" at the bottom is where I'll write the beer name. The rest is pretty self explanatory. I like this one better. What do y'all think?

label cartoon.jpg

Well a few slight changes to clean up some of the edges and what-not. Anyone have any other suggestions? Again, I really appreciate all the help. I didn't realize out "off" the last 2 attempts were until someone pointed it out.

LABEL_CA.jpg

the more I look at this one the more I like it. much better balanced. maybe experiment with some color between the oval and rounded rectangle. nothing too dark or loud though.

I was thinking the same thing about the colors. I'll see what I can do. The oval seems like it needs to stand out just a little more. Thanks!

Back