Growing Hops in Central Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here are my Jax Beach Hops. a couple on the left side are struggling, but all in all, not bad for first year. Ive already got about 6 hop cones on the Centennial. Im pretty excited to see them growing. I have to train the bines on the twine, but I like grabbing a home-brew and working with the hops in the afternoon after work.

IMG_1321.jpg

So mine have been growing for about 3 months now. I've fertilized a couple of times and in the last week or so they have pretty much exploded. Not sure what has caused it. So far I've got about 2 dozen cascade cones off one plant. It's the only one producing right now but I think the others aren't far behind.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1405468253.802372.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

About aphids - I had a bad infestation of aphids on my bines and pepper plants. I used every spray available at HD with no luck. Not too mention the daily rain washed the spray off each time. I bought 750 live ladybugs on eBay for another $12 (including shipping) and they did the trick. Highly recommend trying them. The ones I order came with a solution to help the ladybugs get started and instructions. Aphids were gone in a few days. If you don't use all the ladybugs you can keep the extras in the refrigerator for a few months until you need them again.

That's awesome! That's probably the coolest aphid solution I've heard of.

About aphids - I had a bad infestation of aphids on my bines and pepper plants. I used every spray available at HD with no luck. Not too mention the daily rain washed the spray off each time. I bought 750 live ladybugs on eBay for another $12 (including shipping) and they did the trick. Highly recommend trying them. The ones I order came with a solution to help the ladybugs get started and instructions. Aphids were gone in a few days. If you don't use all the ladybugs you can keep the extras in the refrigerator for a few months until you need them again.

Cool. I sprayed neem oil and it killed a lot of leaves. I just let them go from there and they are not as bad but are still around. I'm going to have to try the ladybug option. I heard that the ladybugs like marygolds 2.

Hello! Russ here in Orlando. I've been growing hops in pots here for the last 3 years. My experience has been mixed so far. The first year growing them was by far the best, but now they are struggling. Hopefully my experience will help others who might run into the same problems.

Spider Mite Infestations: These tiny jerks come back every year. I've moved to a new house, and they seem to be less of a problem here. The first and second years were the worst infestations. The only thing I've found that consistently knocks them back is neem oil. I tried lady bugs and they didn't do much to help with spider mites. I also had a pepper plant with aphids, and the lady bugs took care of that in a few days. After that they must have lost interest in my yard and moved on. My advice for using neem oil is to dilute it per instructions, and spray it in the morning so that it has time to dry. Make sure you get all surfaces around the hops, especially ones that are hidden from the sun, since that's where the eggs will be. I also spray down the soil, sides of the pots, trellis, and anything else nearby.

Caterpillars: I've only had caterpillars attack once, and spinosad took care of them right away. Unfortunately spinosad didn't work for spider mites. I think it's because they suck the chlorophyll from the leaves instead of eating the surface, so they don't really ingest much of it.

Vernalization: This year I dug up all my rhizomes and kept them in my fermentation fridge at 55 degrees for 6 weeks in an attempt to vernalize them. At the end of February, I prepped the soil by mixing in decent amount of mushroom compost and re-planted them. They're growing, but just not very well. I think the soil is mostly to blame. I've started fertilizing them with 6-4-6 Citrus & Avocado fertilizer, so hopefully that will help. If they survive this year, I'll mix in fresh compost, and maybe get a soil test kit so I can make some informed adjustments.

Does anyone have recommendations on how often and how much to fertilize Hops?

This is my first year but I'm having good results. I'm using palm fertilizer once a month, just about a table spoon in each pot.

I've been using CitrusGain with good results. I've been fertilizing the plants about every 30-45 days using about 2-3 Tbsp each time. I'm already harvesting the hops on two of my plants.

My 1st year potted plants are sucking wind most likely due to me using 3-4-6 fertilizer. I recently fertilized w/24-8-16 miracle grow for s&g's so we'll see what happens. On the positive side, I found lady bugs on one of the plants doing their job :)

Thanks for the feedback!

Sounds like 1-3 Tbsp per plant. I'll start with 1 per pot and see how that goes. They've got about 5-6 feet of bines, but they've pretty much stopped growing. The leaves haven't dropped, so hopefully they're just underfed.

Here are some pictures of my crop. I'm very please this year despite the tons of rain. So far, I've picked about 5oz of hops. There's at least 10oz left on the bines! I have two bines inside a screen patio and one outside. That's an 8' ladder for perspective.

IMG_0403.jpg

IMG_4797.jpg

IMG_9976.jpg

IMG_8879.jpg

I followed this thread all last year and started mine this year. All 4 Centennials have broke ground. Still waiting on the Cascades. I'm in North Central Fl near Gainesville so our winters will be a bit better for mine. I'm potting them for the first one or two years and then plan to transplant them into a two or three row 18' tall hop yard.

Congrats COEBRA! It's a fun addition to the brewing hobby. I put out 4 last year and didn't keep up with them as well as I should have. The top I used also gave way but 3 plants survived and this year I'm using 1/2" burlap rope. Should be a good year. They didn't yield but maybe an ounce last year. I post a pic soon.

Thanks Breadontap! I decided to go with 3/8 sisal rope since all the bulk coir twine was nowhere to be found. I have apples, pears, and grapes too so I'm hoping these will be a great addition to the garden!

Here are some pictures of my crop. I'm very please this year despite the tons of rain. So far, I've picked about 5oz of hops. There's at least 10oz left on the bines! I have two bines inside a screen patio and one outside. That's an 8' ladder for perspective.

Chaos, it looks like you are letting all the bines go up instead of limiting to 2-3 per rope as many people suggest. After seeing your plants I'm not sure I believe in the 'limit' thing. Your plants look awesome!!! It also looks like you are growing on the inside of the screen too no? Also, are you solely using CitrusGain or are you switching to something else (i.e., bio-bloom) for the flowering stage?

Chaos, it looks like you are letting all the bines go up instead of limiting to 2-3 per rope as many people suggest. After seeing your plants I'm not sure I believe in the 'limit' thing. Your plants look awesome!!! It also looks like you are growing on the inside of the screen too no? Also, are you solely using CitrusGain or are you switching to something else (i.e., bio-bloom) for the flowering stage?

Right. I didn't trim much (just thinned it a bit at mid-season). I'm not sure if limiting and cutting is the way to go either. Maybe if you want the bine to focus growth on a few cones to perhaps "enhance" them (similar to what vineyards do to grape vines to focus growth for the grape). Other than that, I'm don't think it's necessary as long as you keep up with the fertilizer. Hops take in a lot of nutrients. If the bine starts to show browning withered leaves at the base, it means the bine doesn't have enough nutrients so it's literally sucking what it needs from it's self.

Sticking with Citrus Gain because of the low phosphate. I read hops don't like too much phosphate.

I do have one plant that is very slow out of the gate. Maybe I'll try citrusgain on that one. Thanks for the info man! How are your plants looking this year?

chaos seems to have the best system for growing hops around this area in florida. I was able to get about 100+ hops from my nugget and cascade hops last year until aphids and heat all but stopped progress. I used liquid miracle grow in the water and had them in pots. My centennial hops did very little and it appears to be dead this year. I'm moving to a house with one acre and am planning on putting them in the ground. I'm going to try citrus gain. good luck to all.

I would love to put them in the ground but my soil is extremely sandy. Not sure how they will do. As for the aphids, I've been lucky. Every time I see aphids I also see lady bugs. I too had a centennial that appeared to **** the bed but has recently taken off. And yes....good luck to all. Never give up.

I bought the half whisky cask at lows for $50, the potting soil was $30, and the root and grow was $12. I drilled a 2 inch hole in the center of the bottom of the cask and covered it with some weed blocker material I had laying around and stapled it into place. Burred the hop root about one inch used the root and grow on first watering after planting. Then watered when potting soil felt dry to the touch about every 2 days.

There's a lot of posts about what fertilizers to use. I found this article which describes soil and fertilizer requirements for hops in depth. Basically, you want a high nitrogen, low phosphate, high potassium fertilizer with zinc (and some boron but I'm not going to bother with it). This article matches some other articles I've read stating hops prefer low phosphorous. I've mentioned before, I use CitrusGain mainly because it's readily available, has low phosphorous, and some zinc. Seems to be working well for me so far. I'm doubling the fertilizer (and applying it more consistently) to see if I can get larger bines and cones this year. These are pics of my 3rd year bines with about 1 1/2 months of growth this year.

IMG_7040.jpg

IMG_7039.jpg

It's this a sign of fertilizer burn? Mine stopped growing vertical with the tallest one at 3 feet. I let them do their thing for 3 weeks until I saw them turning yellow. I fertilized them with 10-10-10 and now after 5 days the leaves are turning brown and falling off :(

Did you fertilize once in that five day span or everyday? If it was one time I would think not. If daily yes it probably is. Also my vertical growth stopped and I had leaves brown and dry up. The crazy rain every day caused mind to get too much water the rain held off for a few days and my plants started growing again. I also stopped pruning cause I wasn't sure if that had an effect on the plant its growing like crazy now.

Latest posts

Back