Growing Hops in Central Florida

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have updates on their hops? I neglected my cascade and centennial so they have passed away. I installed a drip irrigation system for my garden so I decided to get some Columbus hops. I read for the love of hops and they are supposed to be a good low trellis hop.

I just planted some in pots near Atlanta. I planted cascade, willamette and magnum hops. 3 days in and the cascade has started peaking through.

I used 50/50 compost and topsoil with some miracle grow fertilizer with nitrogen to help bolster the soil since I read early in hop season the rhyzomes love additional nitrogen.

My only concern is sunlight. Mine only get about 4-5 hours of morning sun on my deck. My backyard is completely shaded by trees. I read that partial sun is actually good for the south summers so they don't burn up.

I guess we shall see! I guess I've watered every other day. I put my finger about 2 inches deep into the soil and if it feels moist I don't water but if it starts to feel mealy and drier I sprinkle them.

I think as much sun as possible is the way to go. In Orlando, my cascade bines were outside and had full sun ~8 hours a day. No issues with too much sun down here.

Back