First GF brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good to know the >1teaspoon for 5 gal. ill be adding a hazelnut extract to my latest brew come next week.

theres a beer tasting going on here in my small town come march, they are going to have a homebrewer tent, im working on getting one or 2 of my kegs in there: )

lcasanova have you revieced the brew yet?

I've never done any GF brewing (new celiac's diagnosis) but I'm kinda liking the look of this recipe for my first batch. I'm having trouble finding sorghum syrup though. Since it looks like people try to limit the use of it anyhow, is there something I can substitute?

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can get sorghum syrup in Canada?

Thanks for the help.

I've never done any GF brewing (new celiac's diagnosis) but I'm kinda liking the look of this recipe for my first batch. I'm having trouble finding sorghum syrup though. Since it looks like people try to limit the use of it anyhow, is there something I can substitute?

Thanks for the help.

This is the first recipe I brewed and it's all sorghum syrup. http://gfhomebrewing.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemid=39 I guess the hops covered the flavour a bit but it was a huge hit, even the gluten beer drinkers loved it.

Checked gravity again today. Almost 3 weeks in primary and it has seemed to settle at 1.020. I received the same reading from it last week as well. Beer Smith had me getting closer to 1.016 or 1.017. This isn't far off, but I'm curious if I should do anything here. Still planning on moving to secondary this week to add the chocolate extract and vanilla beans. I'm also curious how most people handle the vanilla beans. I plan to soak them in vodka, but I assume the idea would be to just cover them and use as little as possible.

Checked gravity again today. Almost 3 weeks in primary and it has seemed to settle at 1.020. I received the same reading from it last week as well. Beer Smith had me getting closer to 1.016 or 1.017. This isn't far off, but I'm curious if I should do anything here. Still planning on moving to secondary this week to add the chocolate extract and vanilla beans. I'm also curious how most people handle the vanilla beans. I plan to soak them in vodka, but I assume the idea would be to just cover them and use as little as possible.

Have you tried tasting it?

Split them in half, scrape out the insides and chop up the skins. Place all this in some vodka for a few days and pour that in the fermentor.

Thats my process.

spaced said:
Have you tried tasting it?

I have. It tastes like flat beer. Not too bad of a sorghum after taste. My girlfriend, the one the beer is for thinks it tastes good. She said the sorghum wasn't as bad as a new grist. So that's a good sign.

Split them in half, scrape out the insides and chop up the skins. Place all this in some vodka for a few days and pour that in the fermentor.

Thats my process.

Good to know. Thanks for the help. Will be my first time adding those. Any thoughts on the FG I'm at? I'm ok with it, but I just wasn't sure if I had done something wrong.

I have. It tastes like flat beer. Not too bad of a sorghum after taste. My girlfriend, the one the beer is for thinks it tastes good. She said the sorghum wasn't as bad as a new grist. So that's a good sign.

I found the taste of the beer improved a little from what the sample tasted like with my first brew. If she doesn't mind the flavour now she should love it cold and carbonated.

I found the taste of the beer improved a little from what the sample tasted like with my first brew. If she doesn't mind the flavour now she should love it cold and carbonated.

Awesome! That's good to know. I'm hoping it's something we can both enjoy!

So I moved to secondary this past weekend and added the vanilla and chocolate extract. Planning to bottle sometime this weekend. Is there any problem using corn sugar to bottle this up? I'm assuming I'm looking at around a month for carbonation here since it took a while to finish fermenting.

Lcasanova said:
How'd this go? I remember having one hell of a time transferring my last batch that I used vanilla bean in...for some reason my siphon kept getting stuck

It went pretty well actually. Didn't have any hang-ups with the vanilla beans. It was the most sediment that I've ever picked up though. I bottled a little over a week ago and am just waiting for it to carb up. I'll give it another week and a half before a bust one open. I was very surprised with the dramatic change in color in the beer. Day 1 it was a very light chocolate milk color, and by the time I bottled it about a month later it was much more like a stout dark. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Well we finally tried the GF Double Chocolate Oatmeal Stout. It turned out pretty well. It's been in the bottle for almost four weeks and seems to continue to get better every day. I've attached a picture. I was a little disappointed with the lack of chocolate flavor. I should have added more chocolate extract at bottling. The vanilla come through nicely and the sorghum is starting to mellow out. My fiancee is very happy with it.

GFBeer.jpg

AlexB said:

Thanks for the help.

Where abouts do you live? I've been brewing with sorghum for 3 years but my supplier keeps changing.

@bootin-gluten: I'm in Winnipeg, but can pretty easily get ahold of supplies in Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal. Hope you can help me out, I haven't been able to find it here at all!

@bootin-gluten: I'm in Winnipeg, but can pretty easily get ahold of supplies in Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa, or Montreal. Hope you can help me out, I haven't been able to find it here at all!

There is a store in Brampton (North of Toronto) that sells 60 lb pails of sorghum ME for $220. Their markup is ridiculous but I think they have a monopoly in the area and there probably aren't a lot of people looking for it. Their website is

http://www.homebrew-supplies.ca/viartshop/products.php?category_id=154

There is also a store in Buffalo that will order it in and it's much less expensive (my last pail was around $130 I think) if you can make the drive down. It's a couple of hours from Toronto including the border crossing. The store is awesome and some of the staff are very knowledgeable.

http://nthomebrew.com

The Canadian distributor of Briess products used to be Scott Laboratories in Pickering but they've stopped carrying Briess so I'm trying to figure out the delivery channels to Canada. I once got a buddy to pick up a pail at their warehouse for $90 or something... it's a shame they've stopped getting shipments.

Back